Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#45391 - 03/03/03 06:33 PM No LFE w/DTS-ES
massi2u Offline
Gunslinger

I bought my first DVD with a DTS-ES 6.1 discrete soundtrack."Lord of the Rings" extended verison.Upon viewing,I noticted my sub's had no output. I had front speakers set at "Large", I switched them to "Small" and the sub had normal output.I then changed over to the DD-EX verison w/fronts at large and the LFE channel had normal output.
My 950 responded to the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 soundtrack by displaying this format and processing the signal w/o LFE but it did not catch the DD-EX flag only displayed DD 5.1,I had to manually set the 950 to Dolby-EX.
So, is the DVD defective or has anyone else had this problem with decoding DTS-ES?
Thanks if anyone can verify.

#45392 - 03/03/03 06:43 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
the disc you're referring to DEFINITELY has LFE content. my system setup has signal indicators for redirected bass and LFE, so i can always tell if any particular format contains LFE info.

not only does LOTR have LFE content, it's the most extreme content of any disc i own.

as to whether or not it's a software problem, i wouldn't conclude that without some testing.

#45393 - 03/03/03 07:03 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
massi2u Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Bossobass, I agree plenty LFE but does not output LFE in DTS-ES with fronts set to "Large"! I have sub setting ON

#45394 - 03/05/03 03:50 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Just wondering if anyone else has tested this yet? (I mean too, but haven't gotten to it yet.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45395 - 03/05/03 06:07 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
massi2u Offline
Gunslinger

I rented "Gladiator" w/DTS-ES 6.1 soundtrack.
No LFE from my 950 when fronts set to large.
I also have a multi-format DVD-A by "Jonatha Brooke", included is a 5.1 DTS verison, No LFE output from this disc either!
I like to keep my fronts set to large,esp w/music. My 950 seems to degrade the presentation when I set the fronts to small no matter which crossover freq I select.
It doesn't seem to be a software issue.
Can anyone else try this out.Thanks

#45396 - 03/05/03 08:01 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Massi2u, I have “Gladiator”, and several other DTS versions, last few days all my AV time has been shopping/setting my mom up. Am skipping going over tonight. She’s good to go till I upgrade her dish STB for HD which will be a weeks process. But the guys bought “The Ring” and rented something else so I can’t interrupt tonight. Give me till tomorrow (I home office) or worse case, if the phones are busy (I never know what emergencies I’ll have each day. I’ll run them all through this weekend.

#45397 - 03/05/03 08:16 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I was kind of figuring, that if we aren't getting LFE output for DTS-ES, it would be the same for DTS...

I just watched the new Ultimate Edition of Stargate *last* weekend. Also DTS-ES. But this thread didn't pop up until Mon...

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited March 05, 2003).]

#45398 - 03/05/03 10:26 PM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
as i've mentioned before, i'm using a bass management system that i devised a few months ago and i don't have the ambition to reconnect my setup the conventional way. however, i can verify the following:

dts-es discs: pearl harbor, gladiator and lord of the rings ALL have LFE content. with speakers all set to 'large', there is no redirected bass (as it should be).

with my system, the speaker config menu doesn't affect the LFE signal whatsoever, so i can't verify whether or not the LFE gets lost or otherwise redirected when front speakers are set to 'large' in the conventional system.

some dvd-a discs have no LFE info (this amounts to false labeling of the discs as being 5.1 when, in fact, they are 5.0... thank you, mr. elen).

massi2u: where did you buy the lord of the rings disc?

i did notice one curious thing in my tests that i didn't know before. i tested some dts-cd discs also. i tried to play them through the 6 ch bypass and got a loud hiss instead of music. i wasn't aware that dts-cd isn't output through the player's analog outs.

i'm also curious to know why you (massi2u) get nothing in your sub with fronts set to 'large'. unless ALL of your satellites are also set to 'large', you should at least be hearing some redirected bass from them in your sub.

anyway, if anyone else tests this situation out, make sure ALL satellites are set to 'large' so only LFE should be in the sub.

massi2u: when setting main satellites to 'small', i'm guessing that you have vented front speakers. depending on which ones, the 12db/octave high pass filter that's applied when setting them to 'small' alters the low freq slope to 36 db/octave and may cause a bump in response at the corner frequency (and it will be slightly different for each HP point selected). this makes for a bad crossover with a sub LP slope of 24db/octave (the standard BM LP slope), resulting in a hole and a bump at crossover. also, as KCB has said before, there may be phase issues added to this problem. finally, your subwoofer may simply not be doing a good job, making it impossible to reintegrate the redirected bass.

you can try setting your sub's LP point at 10 hz higher than the HP you select for the mains and experiment with the phase reverse switch and/or control. if you do, give it a couple of days so your ears can acclimate.

this isn't such a big deal in 2 ch music, but a sub and the same high pass for all speakers set to 'small' is definitely better for multi-channel formats.

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited March 05, 2003).]

#45399 - 03/06/03 01:40 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

OK, this is what I found. I used 2 discs. Pitch Black, which is "normal" 5.1 DTS, and the new ultimate edition of Stargate, which is a 6.1 DTS-ES disc. All speakers set as large in the 950. Amps for the mains turned off.

I do not get the LFE content with DTS-ES, but with DTS I do. The plot thickens. If I "force" normal DTS on the Stargate disc, I get LFE (cycle the DTS button on the 950's remote). With DTS-ES, not.

If I "force" DTS-ES on the normal DTS disc, no LFE either. (I thought maybe it had something to do with the flag. Does automatically come up DTS-ES with the Stargate disc.)

An obvious "somewhat" workaround is to use the CES DTS mode even for 6.1 DTS-ES discs (I checked this too, got LFE), but...

Now I know the reason for software upgrades.

Scott?

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited March 06, 2003).]

#45400 - 03/06/03 06:42 AM Re: No LFE w/DTS-ES
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Uh-oh. Looks like I'll have to try this out. I've watched a few DTS-ES disks and haven't really noticed it but I'm not set to large on any of my speakers (so presumably I got some redirected bass).

Cary

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM