Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#45344 - 03/12/03 01:34 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
don't get me wrong, i agree with you, charlie. it's just that i can design and build the analog version.

Oh - I see. Well then that's TWICE we've agreed. Spooky eh?

#45345 - 03/12/03 02:37 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Charlie:

I think it''s probably a moot point in the case of the 950. I would make an educated guess that the volume duties are performed by a digitally controlled analog attenuator, since the volume of the 5.1 bypass inputs can be controlled. I wouldn't imagine that they would run the bypass inputs through an AD/DA cycle just to adjust the volume.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#45346 - 03/12/03 03:11 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
charlie Offline
Desperado

Probably true, and the more complex operations could suffer from some rounding error - bound to happen in a discrete math sort of environment. But a good implementor with adequate hardware should be able to make it pretty transparent on a 24+ bit DSP with any reasonable amount of care.

Take that with a grain of salt as music processing code isn't on my resume, but I'm not totally ignorant either. I've done some signal processing code, just not for music signals. It's all bits at some point.

I'd rather see well implemented digital filters on an already digital datastream than wait and do it in the analog realm, if possible. For one thing constructing two identical digital filters is trivial....

#45347 - 03/13/03 01:50 AM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
surf1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks gonk. macros can make waf work, but still wonder if denon or marantz would be a better choice than this capable but simpler option.

#45348 - 03/13/03 10:21 AM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Hi surf1. I don't believe you'll find the 950 remote any more difficult to operate than the remotes included with either of the receivers you mention. I would recommend the MX500 as a good choice for an aftermarket universal remote that your wife should be able to easily use to control all your equipment. The 950/7100 combination offers a chance to get into separates for the price of a receiver. Unheard of! Go for it. Best wishes...

#45349 - 03/13/03 12:54 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
jimmyjames8 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Raleighwood, NC
Have a fairly high end rig. Did my research on pre/pro's and almost went with Adcom. Adcom moved their front office to Arizona I think and the mfrg. to China. Adcom pre/pro's have had reliability issues. Based on reviews, price and availability went with the 950. I do not use it as my main 2C preamp but use it's front C outs to my ML380S which has a zero gain pass thru option for any input. Setup and programming is a little fussy and I have had some problems getting the MX500 remote to consistently operate the 950. Biggest surprise is listening to the tuner section in 5/6 channel stereo mode. Way cool. Also, tuner section pulls in stations that my old Adcom tuner could not. The 950 has no peer at it's price point.

#45350 - 03/13/03 03:04 PM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
stevec Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hi Everyone,

I got a set of 5 Sonus Faber speakers (Grand Piano,center, concertinos for rears)
plus a REL Storm 3 sub.

Does anyone have these speakers and have auditioned it with 950/770?

I am torn as well between B&K AVR507 Ref50/7.200, Anthem combo, and this almost too good to be true Outlaw combo.

The Sonus speakers are 6 ohm and I auditioned them at the store with B&K AVR507 (awesome), Marantz SR-9200 (good) and Rotel RSP1066 (wheres the beef).

Will this Outlaw impress me like the B&K and Marantz sonic performance and deliver the rich smooth sound i'm looking for?

Thx.

Steve

#45351 - 03/14/03 12:48 AM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
I wouldn't imagine that they would run the bypass inputs through an AD/DA cycle just to adjust the volume.

In fact, I raised this issue many months ago not only because of the volume issue but also because you can alter treble/bass on the two-channel bypasses. At the time and Outlaw rep assured me via this board that those bypass circuit were altered ONLY by analog circuits and there was no A/D/A action going on.

#45352 - 03/15/03 12:07 AM Re: Honest Opinion of the 950
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
this almost too good to be true Outlaw combo.. Rare, but it is out there, and when I don’t dig up things like Outlaw, I bitterly regret it later. I can spend………but I hate being…..taken or to a lessor degree, just spending more than needful to attain equal results. I feel like a recording but I’ll mention here again, >>>>> I just spent some time listening to your SF Grand Piano’s (very nice) , with a B&K setup (sorry don’t remember specific model but it most likely was very current) and the Flagship Pioneer. I also listened at the time to MLogans and VA’s powered by same.

I happened to purchase the Vienna’s (Beethoven’s and Maestro), after bringing them home, the Outlaw 950/770 combo bettered by a large margin, the other amp/pre receiver, running them at the demo. It was as if I purchased at least a third better speaker than what I heard at the demo, when I brought them home and mated with the Outlaw.

The demo room was almost the exact size of my listening area, (small) and well treated for acoustics. I don’t think the sound difference could have been accounted for by poor acoustics at demo.

I recommend your own demo to decide. Although I did not hear the SF’s with my 950/770 combo. The increase I found in performance with the VA’s over the demo setups might be indicative of a similar result as a possible result if you pair your SF’s with the Outlaw. Substance and quality can be found if your willing to pay…in anything……it can also be found if your willing to research behind the badge.

Happy Hunting!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts