Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45107 - 02/13/03 12:36 AM New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
Outlaw Fan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

As you all know, these three processors are virtually identical. It appears Audioholics.com has managed to acquire a new sample with the hardware fixes from Sherbourn. I am looking forward to this review.

In the meantime, take a look at their FAQ on this product.

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/SherbournP7000.php

I sure wish the damn thing would allow sub out in two channel with the mains set to large. Oh well.

#45108 - 02/13/03 08:31 PM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Some interesting tidbits there:

Quote:
For all signals processed by the DSP, the LPF in the DSP matches that of the highest frequency HPF in order to comply with Dolby Digital bass management certification.

There was an (somewhat incorrect, imo) article at Secrets a little while ago about why individual crossovers were a bad thing. One of the *conjectures*, was that if you had say, 60 Hz mains, 120 Hz center, 80 Hz surrounds/rears, set, that the global low pass filter to the sub might be that lowest setting or 60Hz. That would leave a "hole" for example in the center channel, 60 - 120 Hz. At least by the above, that is not true for the 950/AT/Sherbourn units.

But I guess I do wonder, if the low pass to the sub is 120 Hz in this case, is that also for the mains, so that there'd be "doubling" from 60 to 120 Hz? I.e., the low pass to the sub should *not* be a global value, but it should the same value for each channel as what the respective high pass filter is.

I actually know of a way to test this, but just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Quote:
Does the PT-7000 offer DSP mode processing options for digital 5.1 signals such as DD, or DTS?

Yes. DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 for DTS signals. Dolby Digital EX and Cirrus Extra Surround Cinema and Music modes for Dolby Digital 5.1 signals.

I don't know about your 950, but mine also has CES modes for DTS 5.1 too.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45109 - 02/13/03 10:02 PM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
From everything that I read on the 950 it is a TRIPLE crossover. That means there are 3. If it was a global sub low pass and variable high pass for the sattelites, it would not be the triple crossover as described by Outlaw. They have 3 crossovers in the 950 (as I read it). One for the mains, one for the center, and one for the surrounds. This is because many owners have different speakers for each of these catagories.

Each crossover can be set individually, depending on the abilities of your speakers. For each of the 3 crossovers, the low pass side goes to the sub. So the sub handles (for instance) 100hz and below that was meant for the surround channels, 80hz and below that was slated for the center channel, and 40hz and below that would normally go to the tower mains (that is, if that is the configuration you had set the crossovers at). There is no "hole" or "doubling". The sub simply produces the frequency of each channel that the other 5 cannot produce, based on each of the 3 crossover settings.

#45110 - 02/14/03 02:36 AM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
This is what the manual says about it:

Quote:

The Front, Center and Surround Crossover menus are used to independently
set the internal High Pass filter of the Model 950’s Cirrus Triple
Crossover for each of these three speaker groups.

That certainly leaves things up in the air. I don't think the outlaws have confirmed the way it works. I haven't really been keeping up, so they might have posted something about it, but a quick search didn't show anything.

brianca

#45111 - 02/14/03 09:35 AM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
Scott Offline
Desperado

Let's use a configuration scenario to help explain how the triple cross-over function works.

Settings:

All speakers set to small. (A Large setting by-passes the cross-over function for that speaker)
Front: 40Hz
Center: 80Hz
Surrounds: 100Hz
Sub: ON

In this configuration the sub will see the entire LFE or ".1" signal. It will also receive any signal below 40Hz from the front speakers, any signal below 80Hz from the center channel and any signal below 100Hz from the surrounds.

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited February 14, 2003).]

#45112 - 02/14/03 09:46 AM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
And (correct me if I'm wrong, Scott), this applies to the scenario when all speakers are set to "small" -- if, for instance, the center channel in the example above was set to "large" the sub would receive the ".1" data, everything below 40Hz from the mains, and everything below 100Hz from the surrounds, but nothing from the center.

Right?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45113 - 02/14/03 10:08 AM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Thank you Scott!!

#45114 - 02/14/03 10:26 AM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Gonk,

You're correct. I've added that info to my example, thanks!

Scott

#45115 - 02/14/03 12:53 PM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Thanks, Scott.

I guess that's another difference between the two.

brianca..

#45116 - 02/14/03 03:43 PM Re: New info on Outlaw / Sherbourn / Atlantic Processors
Scott Offline
Desperado

Brianca,

How so?

Scott

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts