Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#45101 - 02/16/03 04:28 PM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There probably isn't anything wrong with your 950 - but the behavior in those modes is pretty strange!

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#45102 - 02/16/03 04:39 PM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Thanks soundhound. That is what I was trying to conclude.

#45103 - 02/16/03 08:52 PM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Scott,
Quote:
As you said, who knows how the 7 stereo back speakers are being matrixed.
No mystery how the additional channels are generated in the 5/7 stereo modes. The fronts, sides and rears are each treated as stereo pairs: all left side speakers get left channel info (above their crossover points); ditto the right side. The centre channel and subwoofer output each get a simple L+R summed signal (again, defined by their crossover settings).

This has traditionally been how every 5/7 stereo mode (sometimes called "party" mode) has worked. The only variation I've ever seen is where the surround volume is slightly lower compared front channels, in order to keep the energy somewhat foward focused. Otherwise there's no surround processing, such as matrix decoding, taking place.

Best,
Sanjay

#45104 - 02/17/03 06:38 AM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Then based on sdurani's post, there should not be a volume increase in the large surround back speakers when switching the fronts small to large. Still wonder what is casing that??

#45105 - 02/17/03 11:15 AM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
jray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I sent an email concerning my issue to Outlaw last week and I am still awaiting a reply.

I did a little testing again over the weekend to make sure I wasn't crazy.

While watching the Con Air DVD, I replayed various scenes that contained a variety of sound-effects. I would play a scene with the front speaker crossover set to 40Hz and then replay the same scene with the crossover set to 150Hz. Definite change in bass/sub bass. Again, the front speakers were set to "Large", subwoofer set to "Off", and the front speakers bi-wired(subwoofers built into each front speaker).

Is it possible that Outlaw didn't take into consideration tower speakers w/built-in subwoofers when developing the crossover configuration settings?

Also-what is the diffence between red-dot and blue-dot 950s?

#45106 - 02/17/03 11:47 AM Re: XOver still active when front speakers set to large
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The red dot units were the first "hiss fix" units that replaced units shipped prior to August and had a hiss problem. The blue dot revision were replacement units that began shipping in December to replace existing units that still exhibited an objectionable hiss.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts