Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#45071 - 02/24/03 10:16 PM Re: How to audition the 950
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
The stand-alone TiVo has a realtime MPEG encoder which converts analog audio/video to digital. It does not accept or preserve any digital sources. The DirecTivo version does simply because it is saving the raw satellite digital stream.

--Mike

#45072 - 02/24/03 10:35 PM Re: How to audition the 950
outlwrocketman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Norton, Mass, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Llamas:
The stand-alone TiVo has a realtime MPEG encoder which converts analog audio/video to digital. It does not accept or preserve any digital sources. The DirecTivo version does simply because it is saving the raw satellite digital stream.

--Mike

Ah, Unfortunately I have digital cable, which just gives me coax into the Tivo. Sounds like next system upgrade would be to get satellite (if I can see that part of the sky), with the better tivo. But then I'd be where you are, with a lag as the digital signal is latched by the 950?

------------------
--Peter

#45073 - 02/25/03 09:23 PM Re: How to audition the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
ORM- Ahh, you should have tried a Pioneer DV-47ai. Has better DACs than the 47a and the Onkyo, which is actually based on the 47a, not the 47ai.

You might not want to look at the results in the latest Secrets shootout :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5

Video only performance. In order of their ranking.

Here is a complete review, where they do more comparisons between it and the 47a and 47ai:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/onkyo-dv-sp800-dvd-player-2-2003.html

The Onkyo is also talked about in the latest Perfect Vision.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45074 - 02/25/03 11:33 PM Re: How to audition the 950
outlwrocketman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
ORM- Ahh, you should have tried a Pioneer DV-47ai. Has better DACs than the 47a and the Onkyo, which is actually based on the 47a, not the 47ai.

You might not want to look at the results in the latest Secrets shootout :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5

Video only performance. In order of their ranking.

Here is a complete review, where they do more comparisons between it and the 47a and 47ai:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/onkyo-dv-sp800-dvd-player-2-2003.html

The Onkyo is also talked about in the latest Perfect Vision.

Hi Kevin,

Look me a minute to figure out who "ORM" is :-).

Thanks for the heads up on the players. I want an SACD + DVD-Audio unit. Did some research and can't find a clear winner. The Yamaha S2300 has the best video performance, but possibly worst audio. The Pioneer 47ai has some video problems, but possibly fewer than the SP800. And the audio might be better as well. Seems like a better all-around unit than the SP800?

------------------
--Peter

#45075 - 02/26/03 12:40 AM Re: How to audition the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Peter- I agree, and yes, you know about the Yamaha's poor audio, in spite of it doing very well video-wise in the Shootout.

There is a Denon universal player coming out in maybe 2 months. Might be the all-around best unit we are all looking for, at a reasonable cost. (But Denon's typically get reviewed poorly for redbook CD sound.) I also keep hoping Sony will do an ES universal player, but the 999ES didn't even do that well in the shootout...

#45076 - 02/26/03 06:37 AM Re: How to audition the 950
beetle63 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Talbott, TN
Quote:
Originally posted by Llamas:
... what are some scenes on various DVDs to compare? What should I be listening for?
--Mike

Back to your original question: I have a 950 connected to a Parasound HCA 1205-A. I enjoy putting on a show for guests. Some of the DVDs I throw in when they come over are:
  • Saving Private Ryan - During the beach landing scene near the beginning, listen for bullets to ricochet off the tank traps and splash in the water behind you.
  • Star Wars I - During the pod racing scenes, listen for the synchopated engine noise of the pod racer to fly from left to right.
  • Star Wars II - During a scene where the heros are chased through an asteroid cluster, turn it up loud and listen to the dynamic range and noise floor. When they release a mine from their ship, the soundtrack goes silent, and then there's a huge explosion with a (buzz-like?) sound.
  • Moulin Rouge - During the Can-Can, listen for the sound of clothes shuffling under the music. Also, during the same, there is a short cut of a man playing a tuba or brass instrument. His playing should come through loud and clear on the center channel during that brief cut.
  • Monsters Inc. - Has a option where you can play only the sound effects track; no dialogue. It's really interesting... for about 5 minutes. This DVD also has a DTS surround sound into (DTS advertisment). It's a short movie clip that plays once you select DTS playback mode.
  • James Bond, Tomorrow Never Dies - The opening sequence has a lot to test your subwoofer and system's clarity.
  • Eagles, Hell Freezes Over (DTS) - The Hotel California cut is a classic remade.
  • Fleetwood Mac, The Dance DVD - The cuts near the end seem to be mixed better. I personally like to listen to "Rhiannon". The USC Marching Band joins Fleetwood Mac in the song Tusk, and the band is supposed to be in the rear speakers, but the mix does nothing for me.

As an anecdote, I was alone at home on night watching "James Bond, The Living Daylights" when a streetcar came up from behind on the soundstage, but was still off camera. I stopped and restarted the movie twice thinking the noise was somebody in the kitchen
Happy Listening!

#45077 - 02/26/03 11:58 PM Re: How to audition the 950
outlwrocketman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Peter- I agree, and yes, you know about the Yamaha's poor audio, in spite of it doing very well video-wise in the Shootout.

There is a Denon universal player coming out in maybe 2 months. Might be the all-around best unit we are all looking for, at a reasonable cost. (But Denon's typically get reviewed poorly for redbook CD sound.) I also keep hoping Sony will do an ES universal player, but the 999ES didn't even do that well in the shootout...

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the heads-up. I can still return the Onkyo, so I think I'll do that and try your recommendation on the 47ai.

------------------
--Peter

#45078 - 03/02/03 12:43 AM Re: How to audition the 950
outlwrocketman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi All,

As a follow-up, I've been listening to the 47AI for a day now. I think it and the Onkyo SP800 are fairly similar. The 47 gets the nod (to my ear) in the high-frequencies for clarity and precision. I do like the front panel and remote of the Onkyo better, but the sound has to win and that means the 47. Now, deciding whether to send it to audiotweaks for the ultimate in sound...!

------------------
--Peter

#45079 - 03/02/03 02:48 AM Re: How to audition the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Audiotweaks? Oh:

www.tweakaudio.com

Man, looks tempting. (I am *still* debating trying to pick up a Marantz 8300 or not.)

I wish I knew if something like this was worth it or not. ORM, if you do this, let us know how it turns out. And reading through the Pioneer mod, might even be more cost effective to get a 45a, then mod it.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited March 02, 2003).]

#45080 - 03/02/03 12:59 PM Re: How to audition the 950
DeaDFaN Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: knoxville
good morning all!

i'm considering getting a 950/755 combo and pairing it with Paradigm Studio60 , anyonelse use Studio60?

-thnx

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts