Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#45051 - 02/10/03 04:09 PM How to audition the 950
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just ordered a 950 for evaluation. I am currently using a Sony STR-DA5ES and a Parasound HCA-855A 85Wx5 amplifier, driving a set of Swan Divas (4.1/C3/2.1) and an SVS PCi 16-46, in my 5.1 system. I am looking for suggestions on how to effectively compare the two.

For instance, what are some scenes on various DVDs to compare? What should I be listening for?

This sounds a little silly. If I can't tell something is better unless I'm specifically isolating out certain details, what's the point? Well, I also want to avoid the slight doubt that goes along with a decision when I do feel that one is better than the other, but can't put my finger on the reason.

Thanks,

--Mike

#45052 - 02/10/03 10:34 PM Re: How to audition the 950
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I have a 950 mated to a HCA 855a also. The biggest thing to remember is that it will probably be very bright to begin with. I never believed in break-in periods for audio equipment, but now I do! I had a 950 that sounded somewhat bright when I first got it. I leave my equipment on all the time, and after a few days the sound became more and more pleasant. It was "detailed" to begin with, but then the sound got even a little better. The little bit of harshness I had went away.

A month ago I got my replacement "blue dot". I hooked it up and "Oh My God does this sound bright!!!" I kept my original for a few days to compare it with the new one. Within 72 hours the brightness was gone on the new one, and it sounded better than the original.

All I am saying is that the first few days may not impress you a lot. I can honestly say that with the 1st unit I thought I was getting used to the sound when it began to sound better. After swapping out a replacement a month ago and hearing how it sounded at first compared to my 4 month old model, I am convinced that there IS a burn-in that occurs.

#45053 - 02/11/03 12:40 AM Re: How to audition the 950
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

Well, as fate would have it, my Sony needs to go in for service (issues with the video switching). The prospect of spending some time without my HT audio system is what pushed me to finally try the 950. So, I'll have a week with the 950 before I run the comparison. This will give me time to calibrate it properly, and ensure an accurate comparison.

My initial impulse was to just get the 950 and sell of the 5ES when it gets back from the shop, but once my enthusiasm cooled, I decided to compare first.

What I didn't mention in my initial post is this is an HT setup--pretty much no music listening--so that's why I'm looking to compare scenes in movies rather than music.

Thanks,

--Mike

#45054 - 02/16/03 05:51 AM Re: How to audition the 950
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

What I didn't mention in my initial post is this is an HT setup--pretty much no music listening--so that's why I'm looking to compare scenes in movies rather than music.

I suggest comparing movie sound scenes with the video turned off. Otherwise the information passing to your eyes may overwhelm the information passing to your ears.

Good luck!

Will

#45055 - 02/20/03 08:55 PM Re: How to audition the 950
metrico Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
I just got a 950/755. Replaced a Sony TA-E900ES/HCA-855A.

The diffirence (even w/o breakin) is substantial. Much wider soundstage front and back. A clear sense of weight and ease and not bright. I tried the 950 with the 855A first, much brigther and constrained. The Parasound seems to choke in comparison. Early to say but the 950 in bypass w/ the 755 is quite musical.

Front 3 are VMPS QSO 626 , Hsu VTF-1, Rears Gallo balls.

#45056 - 02/21/03 02:20 AM Re: How to audition the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I had a TA-E9000ES before the 950. I'm not one to believe in large differences between electronic components. To me, a $500 receiver will probably sound comparable to a $3000 pre/pro. I'd rather put my money into better speakers, or more CDs & DVDs.

With that being said, I did feel that I got a little bit more "openness" and "air" with the 950 vs the Sony. But the Sony is 4 year old technology too. I liked the sound of the Sony, and I like the sound of the Outlaw...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#45057 - 02/21/03 07:28 PM Re: How to audition the 950
metrico Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
IMHO i just don't believe that a $500 receiver will sound the same as a $3000 pre/pro. it can't happen. you are dealing with much more robust power suppies, much higher grade capacitors, more advanced chips, etc...

the KEY is great amplification and you can't dump $5k into a set of speakers and run them with a $500 receiver because those speakers will reveal the true level of mediocrity that receiver occupies.

on that same point a 950 with a very high-end 5 channel amp, like a cary (properly matched), can sound about as good as a $3000 pre/pro, such as the anthem.

#45058 - 02/21/03 07:41 PM Re: How to audition the 950
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by metrico:
... it can't happen. you are dealing with much more robust power suppies, much higher grade capacitors, more advanced chips, etc...

While I agree that it is going to be pretty hard or impossible to find a garden variety $500.00 receiver that matches a high end component, the reality is that it is the skill of the designer that has a much higher influence on sound quality, not the parts. If that proverbial $500.00 receiver is properly designed and run withing it's capabilities, with a relatively easy speaker load, there is no inherent barrier to it sounding as good, or maybe even better than a high end component. I've owned some really high end equipment whose design was botched beyond belief by a designer that didn't have the necessary skill. Really obvious stuff like circuit board traces that induced ground loops, etc. The devil is in the details.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#45059 - 02/22/03 01:46 PM Re: How to audition the 950
Llamas Offline
Gunslinger

I'm in the middle of doing some comparisons, and I'm not seeing noticable differences. I need more time, and perhaps some shorter scenes to compare, but so far... Hell, I want the 950 to sound better! I didn't order it for the joy of tearing my equipment rack apart.

Quote:
IMHO i just don't believe that a $500 receiver will sound the same as a $3000 pre/pro. it can't happen. you are dealing with much more robust power suppies, much higher grade capacitors, more advanced chips, etc...

What about an $899 pre/pro sounding the same as a $3000 pre/pro?

In any case, I'm using external amplification, so the comparison is versus the receiver's pre/pro section, not its ability to drive the speakers. Well, that and it's a $1200 ($800 street) receiver, not a $500 one. I know you were referring to Kevin's remark, and not my comparison, but I wanted to keep my evaluation in context.

--Mike

[This message has been edited by Llamas (edited February 22, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Llamas (edited February 22, 2003).]

#45060 - 02/22/03 05:38 PM Re: How to audition the 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
What about an $899 pre/pro sounding the same as a $3000 pre/pro?

I agree, that's why I have the 950 and not the B&K Ref 50 (at about $2250 street).

You obviously do get more features and "tweakability" at the higher price (THX Ultra2 for one), but in terms of raw sound quality, like I said, I don't think there are big differences.

I partook in a listening test between a red dot (equiv) 950 and the Anthem. I couldn't hear any difference at all. (Might have been limited by the speakers in that particular case, but the data point "stuck" with me.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts