Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44950 - 02/03/03 12:38 AM $20 upgrade to the 950?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

By way of disclaimer, I'd just like to reiterate what an incredible sounding unit the 950 is for the money.

That out of the way, some of us have observed that 2 for music only, the 950 lacks some in the "presence" department. Here's an article that someone wrote about these beefy capacitors that can even make humbler equipment shine in the "musical presence" category.

I'll admit some of his other ideas sound a bit whacky, but for a cheap upgrade that just might make a big difference, here's the article.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/859141.asp?vts=011720031120

Soundhound, other audio guru's, what do you think?

#44951 - 02/03/03 12:50 AM Re: $20 upgrade to the 950?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Question: The article states to use 2 for a preamp, but since this is multi-channel would you need 2 per channel? I suppose if you could find the capacitors for the L&R mains, that would do the trick for 2 channel audio.

I'm seriously tempted to try this. I wonder if they're too big for the housing to equip all 6 channels?

#44952 - 02/03/03 01:32 AM Re: $20 upgrade to the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Those capacitors are of real value in tube amps as coupling between the phase inverter and the output stage. This is because those stages must have isolation of the DC voltages present between them. I've messed around with oil filled capacitors in my SET amp to good effect, but in a solid state device like the 950, there just is no need for them. I'm aftaid that there's not much that can be done inside the 950 aside from swapping IC types, that would make any sonic difference. The analog ICs are already very good, actually about the best that can be spec'd.

Those little tube amps look very cute, and wow! TEN WATTS!! that's twice as much power as I have now powering my tweeters!!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 03, 2003).]

#44953 - 02/04/03 12:11 PM Re: $20 upgrade to the 950?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound,
You're right - it seems to be a tube only solution. The good news is I just received my blue dot 950 and I'm floored by the difference. I could barely tolerate 2 channel on the old 950 and as a result stopped listening to music with it. A shame since the rest of my equipment is very good.

After receiving the blue dot 950 it sounds like a completely different preamp. Detail, ambience, presence, soundstage and depth, and musicality - all those things that were absent in the old 950 are somehow there in spades with the blue dot.

I was pulling out some CD's to test the 950 blue with and ended up listing to the entire CD instead of just selections like I'd planned. The music was absolutely involving. The last thing I thought I'd ever say about the 950 in 2 channel was that it was musical. But there it is!

What I've heard so far would compete with good $1500-$2000 dedicated 2 channel preamps. I really can't believe it.

Outlaw's stuck with the product and taken the 950 from a solid value for the price (HT alone was always more than worth the asking price) and improved it until it's an obscene bargain. And they haven't forgotten us early adopters.

From what I'm hearing now, there's no way this product should sell for under $2500.

I was going to make this gush fest its own thread, but didn't want to encourage a massive swap out.

I really think Outlaw should acknowlege this drastic improvement for music and offer this to everyone with customer paid shipping and maybe a $100 upgrade fee. It would be a bargain for everyone, and partially reimburse Outlaw for this major product improvement.

Go Outlaws!!!

#44954 - 02/04/03 02:49 PM Re: $20 upgrade to the 950?
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
Outlaw would serve its early 950 owners well to offer a upgrade. I know some 950's had some hiss issues, mine did. Outlaw exchanged them for red dots and later I was able to receive a Blue dot version. Most owners are satisfied with the sound and performance of their current model.. The final edition 950 has changed. The sound , detail and just the overall
silence is such a major product improvement. Their really should be a upgrade package offered to all owners of pre, December 17,02. Models.

#44955 - 02/05/03 12:09 PM Re: $20 upgrade to the 950?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

I agree. Maybe the Outlaws cold change the model number to 951 with the sonic improvements (and maybe a few other small parts upgrades) and sell for a modest upgrade fee to previous 950 owners.

This might also create some buzz and momentum for the 950 (er 951) around the net, and give reason for reviewers to take a second look.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM