Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44828 - 01/26/03 06:46 PM Help me get off the fence.
aquaman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Greetings

First of all I would like to say that I really enjoy this forum. Everyone seems so genuinely interested in helping everyone out without "putting on airs" if you know what I mean, which is very refreshing.

My quandry is one I'm sure alot of you have been through, so please help me out if you can. For six weeks now I have been researching the best way to assemble a surround sound system which will be used 50/50 for ht & music. I'll try to keep this short by boiling things down to where I am at right now. I have already purchased speakers (Ascend Acoustics CBM 170s x 5 and Hsu vtf-2 sub) and dvd player (Panny xp-50).

I just can't seem to make up my mind on how I want to power and process. At first I thought an Outlaw combo would be a no-brainer (950/755). I love the direct marketing approach and, based on all the feedback, support is incredible. Throw in the 30 day demo and what have I got to lose?

Well, bear with me, heres my concerns: 1) I live in an old house (circa 1950) with electical issues; no grounded outlets and I guess I would just say somewhat limited current resourses. I am a little worried about meeting the electical demands of a dedicated 200 watt x 5 amp plus associated equiptment. I have not run into any problems in the past, but correct me if I'm wrong, this thing is gonna need a lot of clean "juice" to perform.

My financial resources are limited. The Outlaw combo will stretch me pretty thin so bringing in an electrician like I did when I installed my computer set-up is probably something that would tip the scales toward going for a mid-level receiver.

I listened to an Onkyo sr800 yesterday fully expecting to hate the sound, but really not bad. Had a pure source mode which sounded good for 2-channel performance which is my biggest concern in an ht receiver. I know seperates is the way I would rather go and the amp section is not likely up to snuff but .... could save alot and not worry as much about current draw (Onkyo rated to draw max 6.1 amp. from socket not sure about 755 but its got to be alot more).

So feel free to correct any miscreant conclusions I have deluded myself into and any advice will be appreciated.

What I would really appreciate is if anyone with a stong understanding of the electical needs of power amps could tell me if my reservations are justified or not.

And all you happy 950 owners out there; if you were somewhat strapped financially would you still opt for the 950/amp combo or go for the mid-level receiver of your choice?

One other thing, my listening area is not that large (~12x16x8ht) so I could consider a smaller amp. In case I wasn't clear system my priorities are 50/50 music and ht while hoping to emphasize musicality.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

#44829 - 01/26/03 09:44 PM Re: Help me get off the fence.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Mike

Your case is quite similar to mine in some ways: 1950's home, no grounding, moderately sized listening room. I added an Outlaw Model 750 in the summer of 2001 (a little less total power than the 755, but still pretty stout), driving Paradigm Reference speakers (Studio/60's, Studio/CC, and three Studio/ADP's). Initially I used my old Model 1050 to drive the third surround, but late in 2001 I added an old Parasound amp. The listening room is 11'x19'x8'. The circuit it was all connected to was ungrounded and shared by the microwave and refrigerator. I had a little bit of buzz from the fridge, but never had any other problems. I added a dedicated grounded outlet in the spring of 2002, which took care of the buzz. For what it's worth, I would recommend the addition of a grounded outlet at some point for a little extra security and better sound, but you could probably delay the electrical upgrade until finances permit it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44830 - 01/26/03 10:48 PM Re: Help me get off the fence.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
My house was built in 1926 (!) and has gobs of the old 'knob and tube' wiring that they used in that era. When I moved in, I just plugged in my amplifiers, the biggest one of which is a 1000 watt stereo amp I use for my subwoofers, to the existing outlets. Everything worked pretty well with no outright problems. The only thing I did was replace the recepticle on the wall because it was old, and it's connectors were weak. I have since built a dedicated room with all new wiring, but things don't work any 'better' than they did with the old 1926 wiring.

One thing you should consider is that the power requirements of your power amplifier are remarkably light for most of your listening. The instances when anything near full power is needed are brief, for that obligatory explosion and car chase. I think you might want to replace the recepticles you plug everything into, but you can probably delay a more extensive re-wiring job.

A "1600 watt" hair dryer consumes basically as much power as a home theater power amp at full tilt. If your hair dryer works OK, your power amps probably will too.

#44831 - 01/27/03 12:49 AM Re: Help me get off the fence.
aquaman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies Gonk and Soundhound, they are very helpful. I personally don't use a hair-dryer, but I had an old girlfriend who seemed to be using one constantly at my house without problems, so I guess I'll be alright.

Mike

#44832 - 01/27/03 03:15 AM Re: Help me get off the fence.
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Also remember that I think you get some kind of discount if you buy the 950 and an amp together... Every little bit helps!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44833 - 01/27/03 10:53 AM Re: Help me get off the fence.
gonk Offline
Desperado

About a $100 discount... $2098 for the pair, plus shipping.

------------------

#44834 - 01/27/03 01:23 PM Re: Help me get off the fence.
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
Hey... wasn't there supposed to be a new app coming with a smaller power output? Anyone know whatever happened to that model?

#44835 - 01/27/03 01:49 PM Re: Help me get off the fence.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, indeed. The Model 7100, 7x100W. It is still on the way, but apparently has run into some supply and production problems beginning some time last fall. No word (that I've heard at least) on when it will start shipping or what it will cost...

------------------

#44836 - 01/27/03 09:00 PM Re: Help me get off the fence.
Lee Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY USA
I believe the price for the 7100 is $899, acording to an add I saw in this months Home Theater magazine. I am also in a bit of a quandry, regarding purchasing the a mid priced Home Theater receiver or going with the 950/7100 combo. I just purchased Athena AS-F2's, AS-C1, and B1's for the rears. Also planning on aquiring a new Dvd/Audio-SACD player. Any input or advice regarding the Outlaw combo vs. HT receiver, would be appreciated.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts