Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#467 - 01/03/02 12:04 AM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
USAudio Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The problem must be relatively common as I had the same experience with JP3 on my 1050. Switching to DTS (my preferred format anyways) solved the problem. I also use a Monster Toslink cable and a Panasonic RV30 player.
No problem with Pearl Harbor, other than the fact they should have cut the first HOUR of that movie OUT! ;-)

[This message has been edited by USAudio (edited January 03, 2002).]

#468 - 01/03/02 12:22 AM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
USAudio -
I'll second your problem with the first hour of Pearl Harbor -- my fiancee said the same thing somewhere around the 80-minute mark ("They could have started right here and it would have actually been a good movie!" was her comment, I believe).

I need to try Jurassic Park III; I'm curious to see if the problem has anything to do with newer players (maybe older players aren't smart enough to pass the data that's causing the problem?). Pat had no problem with JP3 on an older Panasonic A120, and my even older A310 did fine on Pearl, whereas Eskimo's SD-1700 (a player of about the same vintage as or newer than the RV30) had problems with both movies. If your RV30 did OK on Pearl, that may put an end to my theory of newer DVD players being part of the puzzle.

------------------
Gonk

#469 - 01/03/02 01:20 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
okc329 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Gonk,

I have a Panasonic RV-30 which plays Pearl Harbor with no problems whatever.

Now as to your comments about the movie. Seems like too many folks are into instant gratification these days - i.e., "Let's see the action right away!" I think Pearl Harbor did a great job of showing how many of the very close, but very quick relationships between the sexes were catalyzed by the urgency and possible finality of war.

#470 - 01/03/02 02:13 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Your RV30 seems to be doing the same thing as USAudio's, which also worked on Pearl Harbor. Really a strange bug.

As for the first hour or so of Pearl, I can't speak for USAudio, but I felt like the idea of focusing on the lives of a few individuals in the whole mess was valid, but the script just seemed too clunky and painful to carry it off. To me it just felt like a good concept, but poor execution...

------------------
Gonk

#471 - 01/04/02 02:01 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
USAudio Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Re; Pearl Harbor --

No, I'm just pretty much into instant gratification... ;-)
Actually, there should be 2 cuts of the movie. The female cut (the current version) and the male cut (take the 1st hour out and add more action, explosions, air combat, etc. etc.).
:-)

#472 - 01/08/02 05:19 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
ErikJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder, CO
Has Outlaw officially addressed this problem yet on the 1050? From what I've read on other forums some of the software companies (Universal and Disney) added some additional anti-piracy information into the DD EX flag on the discs. Receivers with auto detection aren't expecting that information and don't know how to handle it. The new Outlaw 950 pre/pro was delayed some more to fix this problem. This has affected a number of 6.1/7.1 manufactures. The quick fix is to use the DTS track if your DVD player supports that option. I'd like to get the 1050, but this worries me. Hopefully the studios will stop encoding the discs this way and release new versions that play properly.

#473 - 01/08/02 06:41 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
ErikJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder, CO
From Dolby.com website:

Problem with the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on certain new DVDs

Question
I hear that some people are having difficulties listening to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on certain new DVDs. What’s going on?

Answer
It has come to our attention that a limited number of consumer electronics products equipped with Dolby Digital decoders—primarily A/V receivers—experience audio muting or dropout problems with some new DVD and/or digital television content. Dolby is actively investigating this problem and is working to identify a solution for consumers as quickly as possible.

Thus far, Dolby, in cooperation with its customers and partners, has traced the issue to consumer equipment that misinterprets information found on some recently produced DVDs and digital broadcasts.

Dolby and its partners are currently working with the content industry to disable the new features in these movies and broadcasts that trigger these problems. In conjunction with this effort, we are working with the manufacturers of the affected products to identify potential consumer solutions.

Dolby will update this information as soon as a solution is identified.

#474 - 01/17/02 10:44 AM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
eternal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I was going to watch JP3 just a few days ago, when, less than a minute into the movie the dropouts started to occur about every 10 seconds, just like most everyone else is experiencing. From everything I have read on HT message boards, this is definatley a problem with the DD-EX flag and not the 1050 or my PS2. If the DVD player or receiver were the issue why would a movie like Gladiator, which is also DD-EX play just fine? Does anyone know if they are going to reissue JP3 with a corrected DD track? Thanks for any info!

#475 - 01/21/02 01:24 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Well, just to add a data point - I've watched JP3 in DD 6.1 several times on my el-cheapo RCA DVD player through a 1050 with zero problems. Using the #1 optical input.

#476 - 04/12/02 10:45 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
Bruce Tiller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR USA
I've had the 1050 for some time now; one of the first 400 to receive one. I've just started experiencing the audio drop-outs that are explained in this thread.

I've been experiencing this problem in several titles of late. The worst was AI. The problem occured both through my coax and optical connections.

Is this problem getting worse???

------------------
Bruce Tiller
WT-46807 Toshiba SD-6200
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts