Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#457 - 12/22/01 10:34 AM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Hello,

The same problem occured for me but only if I play the movie off the PS2 not my Toshiba dvd. On the PS2 I had to go into its menu and shut off the DD output for the movie to be watchable, just switching it to DTS on the disc menu did not help. Otherwise it runs fine off the toshiba.

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#458 - 12/23/01 01:24 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Gonk, I thought the exact same thing when Scott asked me to try it. All I know is that it worked. I suppose that the digital optical out on my Sony DVD player could be the problem too.

Go figure.

#459 - 12/26/01 04:03 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Hi,

We tried some experiments this weekend and among my friends, the only ones that had issues were the ones who's receivers(2 onkyos,1 kenwood) auto select between dd and dts. So I would tend to trust Outlaw when they say that it is a DD mastering issue. Which is fine cause I like dts just fine.

m-mmeyer

#460 - 12/26/01 04:44 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by m-mmeyer:
Hi,

We tried some experiments this weekend and among my friends, the only ones that had issues were the ones who's receivers(2 onkyos,1 kenwood) auto select between dd and dts. So I would tend to trust Outlaw when they say that it is a DD mastering issue. Which is fine cause I like dts just fine.

m-mmeyer

Did all three receivers have some support for 6.1/7.1 surround under DD? Because I got the impression from the newsletter on Christmas eve that the 6.1/7.1 support was tied in somehow... Definitely widespread, though.

#461 - 12/26/01 09:45 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Yes the Onkyos were both 777 or something(it sounded aero at least)and they are both 6.1 and the Kenwood I'm not sure what the model was but it was a 6.1 and 7.1 capable. The other 2 were a Yamaha which is a dd and dts but its only a 5.1 and it doesn't seem to auto select because it had a button for which mode, it didn't glitch at all. The other was my outlaw which acted the same. These tests were with there dvd player, my ps2 and a donor panasonic. All with optical out. If they were to have an issue it didn't matter which player. The only test I have left is to try the coax input instead of the optical on mine. These tests don't mean anything positive but I just wanted to get an excuse to play with HT equipment and see if others were experiencing the same things.
It was a busy but very fun day.

m-mmeyer

#462 - 12/26/01 10:26 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Sounds like a very fun experiment. Here's one more fun thing to try -- compare the 1050 in 6.1 mode to the 1050 in regular 5.1 mode (toggling Surround 6.1 on and off) to see if it affects the playback of the DD tracks. The newsletter made it sound like it had more to do with the flag identifying DD EX tracks than telling the difference between DD and DTS (that's the way I read it, at least). If that's the case, then switching 6.1 mode of on the 1050 might make a difference... And of course, have fun!

#463 - 12/27/01 04:04 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Did anyone try the French DD track? Because the French DD works fine on my 1050 but the English DD skips every couple of seconds. I've tried this on a PS2 with a Outlaw Toslink, and on my Sony DVP-S360 with a Digital Coax. Both skips in English DD but works fine in DTS and French DD 5.1

#464 - 12/27/01 07:17 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
splash Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: brownsburg, IN USA
I have a new Onkyo 797 & a Panasonic RP-56 and I had the same problem with a rented Pearl Harbor DVD. I thought that the 797 would take the DTS by auto but you have to make sure in your RP-56 setup menu you have under the DISC tab go to AUDIO and make sure that DTS is set to "ON". Mine was set to off from the factory. I have just watch all of "chapter 11" with the dog fighting over the ocean and the planes crashes into the water and not one skip.....YIPE!!!! Hopefully your problem was as simple as mine (operater error).....

#465 - 12/30/01 09:28 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
Eskimo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh area, NC
FWIW, I'm also having the same problem on JP III and Pearl Harbor using a Toshiba SD-1700 (temporary player) into my 1050. Connected with coaxial digital cable.

Seems to happen only at scene changes, which leads me to believe me it's something in the DVD itself, or the player dropping out while tracking the disc... Certainly not the 1050!
Polk RC-85i (surround x 3, soon)
Pro-wire 12" infloor sub x 2 (soon)

#466 - 01/01/02 03:29 PM Re: DD dropouts in Jurassic III - why?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I tried Pearl Harbor today on my 1050 (with an old Panasonic DVD-A310 using coax digital connection) and had no problem with the DD track.

------------------
Gonk

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts