Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44670 - 01/20/03 03:55 PM Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
I'm about to split my system into parts.

For HT I have a 1050 with Klipsch Cornwalls and Heresys...I love it!

For music I'm trying to make improvements. I have a restored Dynaco ST70 and I'm thinking of buying a tube preamp and adding the Van Alstine mod....or maybe go off the deep end and go SET.

It would be much easier to simply buy a 950/770 (or stack of 200's) and phono stage for both HT & 2-channel. Since I'm not putting my two systems in different rooms with different speakers, I was planning to run two pair of cables to each front speaker and switch when I wanted to have the tube 2-channel sound. For casual music I could simply play DVDs on my Outlaw 1050 HT system.

Am I creating unnecessary complication?

My effecient Klipsch Heritage speakers allow for low power tube options and are a bit harsh at higher volume on the Outlaw SS.

#44671 - 01/20/03 04:14 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
It's well documented in these forums how much I _hate_ tubes

I would try to use the ST-70 for your front mains regardless of if you're doing HT or plain stereo. You can probably get away with it fine with your efficient speakers. Might give it a try. I wouldn't feel like you need to spend a furtune on a tube preamp. The power amps alone may give all the magic you need

I have a 60 watt amp that drives my woofers (15") and a SET with ••GASP•• 5 watts (yes, FIVE) that drives my high frequency horns. I wouldn't recommend a five watt amp for your woofers (though the time I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised) but with sensitivity of 106db/watt for the HF horns, I doubt that I'm even cracking _one_ of those mighty five watts.

I bet your ST-70 will do fine: you might even try it un-modded. It's no slouch in stock form.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44672 - 01/20/03 09:26 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

I'm trying the ST70 with my Outlaw this week...I added a new quad of tubes, upgraded signal caps, and a few other minor tweaks.

Some have suggested that using the SS Outlaw for a pre is somewhat defeating the purpose and that I need a $500 tube pre for maximum benefit. I'm starting with the Outalw/ST70 and then I'll test a tube pre later.

I'd like to hear SET for 2-channel. Many just love it with 106db/w @1m horns saying it's the first watt that matters.

#44673 - 01/20/03 10:03 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I have a tube preamp (a custom design) that I can switch directly from the 950 using their DACs or directly from my DVD player (Sony DVP-S7000). I can't tell a lot of difference between having the 950 in the loop or directly from the player. YMMV. Now a CD player with a tube output would be another story!

I was actually able to get _very_ decent levels from my 5 watt SET having it drive some medium efficiency JBL monitors (4412). It sounded glorious, but the bass was, as you would expect a bit 'euphonic'. I bought the SET for my HF horns anyway, and it works wonders in that application, 1,200Hz and above.

You could also go crazy and get a SET with up to around 30-50 watts to drive your mains. There's a few that use that Russian monster triode. Big bucks, big heat, big glow from the filaments, big smile on your face...empty wallet....

I bet some of the other Outlaws think we've gone plum loco, talk'in about five measly watts. Pass the spitoon

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44674 - 01/21/03 02:17 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hoots, SH put a bug in my ear, and for a $100-150 "intro" to tubes, I'm going to try one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=T1951&lang=eng

I get to keep all my ss stuff, and just see what the effect of tubes would be. ("Poor man's" version.)

And, I get a parametric eq for my mains. (I have a pro Symetrix 552E I've never had a chance to install in my system. Taming room nodes and stuff, not trying to make a perfectly flat response or anything.)

The funny thing? Behringer (to me) is most well known for their DSP1124 Feedback Destroyer, which is a digital parametric eq useful for eq'ing subs. But the T1951? All analog baby!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44675 - 01/21/03 11:17 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Kevin:

Let us know how it works out

We'll know when you've gone into the terminal phase of the tube disease: you'll start talking about single ended triodes

BTW: How do you like the 'industrial - retro" look of the EQ? That look is really strong in studio stuff now: I like it. Would you buy a 950 if it had that kind of styling?

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 21, 2003).]

#44676 - 01/21/03 12:53 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
GregS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I do exactly what you are looking to do. I swap my speaker cables out when switching between my tube based two channel rig and my HT system. It isn't too much of a burden for me. I don't want to waste my tubes on football games and movies. We all know they ain't cheap.
Greg

#44677 - 01/21/03 03:45 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
How do you like the 'industrial - retro" look of the EQ?

I'll let ya know! I'm kind of looking forward to people asking me about those "glowing things" ...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44678 - 01/21/03 03:53 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by GregS:
.... I don't want to waste my tubes on football games.....

I guess that all depends on who's winning the game at the moment

#44679 - 01/22/03 01:38 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Someday I would like to hear the Klipschorns with SET. It seems to be very popular with the KHorn crowd.

I'm starting with the Dynaco ST70 (done) and currently shopping for a tube pre-amp. I'll then do the Curcio mod on the ST-70 if I like the results and don't mind switching back and forth between HT & 2-channel. My kids play PS2 on the Outlaw system, we both watch movies on the Outlaw system, but I want to listen to the best 2-channel I can get which is leading me down the tube path.

I've been curious....if I upgrade from the 1050 to a 950 with an Outlaw SS amp, what type of improvement should I expect with my Cornwalls & Heresys 6.1 system? I'm pretty happy w/the 1050.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM