Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44670 - 01/20/03 03:55 PM Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
I'm about to split my system into parts.

For HT I have a 1050 with Klipsch Cornwalls and Heresys...I love it!

For music I'm trying to make improvements. I have a restored Dynaco ST70 and I'm thinking of buying a tube preamp and adding the Van Alstine mod....or maybe go off the deep end and go SET.

It would be much easier to simply buy a 950/770 (or stack of 200's) and phono stage for both HT & 2-channel. Since I'm not putting my two systems in different rooms with different speakers, I was planning to run two pair of cables to each front speaker and switch when I wanted to have the tube 2-channel sound. For casual music I could simply play DVDs on my Outlaw 1050 HT system.

Am I creating unnecessary complication?

My effecient Klipsch Heritage speakers allow for low power tube options and are a bit harsh at higher volume on the Outlaw SS.

#44671 - 01/20/03 04:14 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
It's well documented in these forums how much I _hate_ tubes

I would try to use the ST-70 for your front mains regardless of if you're doing HT or plain stereo. You can probably get away with it fine with your efficient speakers. Might give it a try. I wouldn't feel like you need to spend a furtune on a tube preamp. The power amps alone may give all the magic you need

I have a 60 watt amp that drives my woofers (15") and a SET with ••GASP•• 5 watts (yes, FIVE) that drives my high frequency horns. I wouldn't recommend a five watt amp for your woofers (though the time I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised) but with sensitivity of 106db/watt for the HF horns, I doubt that I'm even cracking _one_ of those mighty five watts.

I bet your ST-70 will do fine: you might even try it un-modded. It's no slouch in stock form.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44672 - 01/20/03 09:26 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

I'm trying the ST70 with my Outlaw this week...I added a new quad of tubes, upgraded signal caps, and a few other minor tweaks.

Some have suggested that using the SS Outlaw for a pre is somewhat defeating the purpose and that I need a $500 tube pre for maximum benefit. I'm starting with the Outalw/ST70 and then I'll test a tube pre later.

I'd like to hear SET for 2-channel. Many just love it with 106db/w @1m horns saying it's the first watt that matters.

#44673 - 01/20/03 10:03 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I have a tube preamp (a custom design) that I can switch directly from the 950 using their DACs or directly from my DVD player (Sony DVP-S7000). I can't tell a lot of difference between having the 950 in the loop or directly from the player. YMMV. Now a CD player with a tube output would be another story!

I was actually able to get _very_ decent levels from my 5 watt SET having it drive some medium efficiency JBL monitors (4412). It sounded glorious, but the bass was, as you would expect a bit 'euphonic'. I bought the SET for my HF horns anyway, and it works wonders in that application, 1,200Hz and above.

You could also go crazy and get a SET with up to around 30-50 watts to drive your mains. There's a few that use that Russian monster triode. Big bucks, big heat, big glow from the filaments, big smile on your face...empty wallet....

I bet some of the other Outlaws think we've gone plum loco, talk'in about five measly watts. Pass the spitoon

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44674 - 01/21/03 02:17 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hoots, SH put a bug in my ear, and for a $100-150 "intro" to tubes, I'm going to try one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=T1951&lang=eng

I get to keep all my ss stuff, and just see what the effect of tubes would be. ("Poor man's" version.)

And, I get a parametric eq for my mains. (I have a pro Symetrix 552E I've never had a chance to install in my system. Taming room nodes and stuff, not trying to make a perfectly flat response or anything.)

The funny thing? Behringer (to me) is most well known for their DSP1124 Feedback Destroyer, which is a digital parametric eq useful for eq'ing subs. But the T1951? All analog baby!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44675 - 01/21/03 11:17 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Kevin:

Let us know how it works out

We'll know when you've gone into the terminal phase of the tube disease: you'll start talking about single ended triodes

BTW: How do you like the 'industrial - retro" look of the EQ? That look is really strong in studio stuff now: I like it. Would you buy a 950 if it had that kind of styling?

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 21, 2003).]

#44676 - 01/21/03 12:53 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
GregS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I do exactly what you are looking to do. I swap my speaker cables out when switching between my tube based two channel rig and my HT system. It isn't too much of a burden for me. I don't want to waste my tubes on football games and movies. We all know they ain't cheap.
Greg

#44677 - 01/21/03 03:45 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
How do you like the 'industrial - retro" look of the EQ?

I'll let ya know! I'm kind of looking forward to people asking me about those "glowing things" ...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44678 - 01/21/03 03:53 PM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by GregS:
.... I don't want to waste my tubes on football games.....

I guess that all depends on who's winning the game at the moment

#44679 - 01/22/03 01:38 AM Re: Outlaw for HT, Tubes for 2-channel?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Someday I would like to hear the Klipschorns with SET. It seems to be very popular with the KHorn crowd.

I'm starting with the Dynaco ST70 (done) and currently shopping for a tube pre-amp. I'll then do the Curcio mod on the ST-70 if I like the results and don't mind switching back and forth between HT & 2-channel. My kids play PS2 on the Outlaw system, we both watch movies on the Outlaw system, but I want to listen to the best 2-channel I can get which is leading me down the tube path.

I've been curious....if I upgrade from the 1050 to a 950 with an Outlaw SS amp, what type of improvement should I expect with my Cornwalls & Heresys 6.1 system? I'm pretty happy w/the 1050.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts