Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44641 - 01/18/03 03:54 PM 5.1 Inputs - Can Rear Centers be used?
JDB Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Maryville, TN 37803
For surround music, the rear center speakers in a 7.1 set-up are preferable to the side mounted surround speakers.

The B&K Ref 30 has 5.1 inputs, but you can assign the rear center speakers for better 5.1 "music" versus using the side positioned surround speakers. The Denon 3803 has 7.1 inputs so you can plug an SACD player's surround outputs into the rear centers input.

I've read the 950 manual but it does not appear to offer this type of feature, either input wise (7.1 inputes) or set-up wise (assignable speakers output).

Is it possible to use the rear center speakers in a 7.1 set-up when using the 5.1 direct input from a SACD player?

Thanks,

JDB

#44642 - 01/18/03 07:15 PM Re: 5.1 Inputs - Can Rear Centers be used?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 alone will not allow this. You could potentially come up with a wiring arrangement between the 950 and your amps so that the surround outputs could be shifted to the surround backs, although I'm not real sure how I'd arrange it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44643 - 01/19/03 04:23 AM Re: 5.1 Inputs - Can Rear Centers be used?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Aaahhhh!

I've been thinking about this but in a slightly different way. Denon receivers have a mode whereby the left surround info is *also* sent to the left rear, and the right surround info is also sent to the rigth rear. (Sort of another variation on the CES modes.)

But obviously we can't do that with SACD/DVD-A material via the 5.1 inputs. But we can.

I haven't completely written this down schemetically to make sure it would work, but the idea is to create a Y input into each rear channel of the amp. One side of the Y is the normal rear output from the 950, the other side is Y'ed out from the surround channel on the same side. (So I think you'd actually need 4 Y's.) You use one of those Radio Shack line level switcher things. (Some people use these to switch between separate DVD-A and SACD players on the same 5.1 inputs.)

The tricky part is setting levels with the switches in "copy mode". Most likely would be different than "normal" 7.1.

Another thought: ideally in a 7.1 setup, the surrounds are supposedd to be at 90 deg angles from dead center front, i.e., directly to the sides. Personally, I feel this is a better setup for 5.1 music than using the rears, because your ears have a lot easier time hearing stuff to the side than behind you. But obviously, ymmv...

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited January 19, 2003).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44644 - 01/19/03 05:10 PM Re: 5.1 Inputs - Can Rear Centers be used?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Personally, I feel this is a better setup for 5.1 music than using the rears, because your ears have a lot easier time hearing stuff to the side than behind you. But obviously, ymmv...

The way I currently have my 6.1 setup (and the scheduled location for re-hanging the 6th when 7th is finally hung) I agree. The best surround for 5.1 will be using the side surrounds in my application, and all rooms to date I’ve listened in which are currently rigged for 7.1. I would personally choose the side locations to implement 5.1 tracked music.

Some have trouble with the acoustical playfulness of some mix's and inconsistencies in how information is repeated or seperated into the 5 tracks offered in current SACD and DVD-A's on the shelf. Many have commented on being startled by a single instrument which would normally be showcased in a recording at FL or FR of the soundstage, popping out distinctly in multichannel all around them or some have commented they just can’t get used to hearing guitars come from behind. Using the farthest behind the ears location of speakers hung in a 7.1 configuration bypassing SL and SR would I think tend to exacerbate the situation for those whom this annoys, especially the 2-channel purists who are attracted by the high-resolution but not to sure of the value of the format. And since we don’t listen to ‘live’ orchestration in the round, I would think the S surround’s are the best choice for locating a multichannel surround performance of music.

I do love however hearing a bullet travel from behind the good guys back (when his back is shown to me) traveling up to the center speaker and out into the distance. Its realistic to how I would hear it if a sniper fired from behind, very fun.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts