Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17 >
Topic Options
#44481 - 01/18/03 08:58 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound: now that is funny

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited January 18, 2003).]

#44482 - 01/18/03 09:19 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
...the only thing that stand out in my eyes is the volume knob.

I agree. The new logo is an improvement IMO, but the old one wasn't that bad. The volume knob looks like a factory second of a cheap knob, kinda crummy to start with and misshapen on top of that.

The other stuff could stand improvement, but isn't important at all. Heck, the knob is really ugly but cosmentics are secondary. I could live with it, I'm just not sure that's a ringing endorsement to the marketing or design dept.

#44483 - 01/18/03 10:45 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

Check this out. I came across this interesting post at AVS forum.

I am planning on purchasing an Outlaw 770...

Not because of it's looks (obviously) but because of it's performance.
I am certainly not one to pass a great product by, just because I don't care for it's appearance, afterall, form does follow function imo... but things like the look of the Outlaw are relatively easy things to fix, and probably never should have been done to begin with.

Are the looks going to keep me from buying Outlaw?
Probably not.

Would I really prefer it if they were prettier?
Absolutely... and I'd pay more for it.

I will let it be known that I am keeping my options open with regards to amplifiers to power a Rocket Ultra System... and if the Outlaws had a more refined look, I probably would have ordered the 770 already. If I find a similar value (don't think I will) that is more aesthetically pleasing, sucks to be Outlaw.

I can agree with the philosophy that performance should always outweigh looks... however, when it comes to items of this nature, we being HT/Music enthusiasts have certain things we're used to seeing. High quality finishes, and aesthetically pleasing designs are rather common in the world of A/V... and as this post clearly illustrates, the people who are spending the money like them.

Again, Outlaw is still #1 on my list for the incredible value it represents... but couldn't we even get flat black? I would be just fine with a flat black finish, like NAD. I think that has a classy look. Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

I'll end up rattle canning this bad boy... watch.

#44484 - 01/18/03 10:56 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
After looking at it for a day now, the only thing that stand out in my eyes is the volume knob.
You bring up a good point DennisG. The 950 does look a lot better "in person" vs. the pictures on the net.
Quote:
But, if you have those tasteful paintings of dogs playing poker and pool and stuff on the wall of your AV room, maybe cosmetics aren't such a big concern.

Hey! I resent that! I like those dogs. I think mine's an original by Kinkade! Looks great next to the Elvis on velvet painting. And the orange shag really sets the mood! I have to admit though, I would like a 950 in silver cause that would really go well with the wheels on my house.
Quote:
But I wanted the features, performance, and quality inside the 950 in spite of its "underwhelming" looks. *My* opinion...

My opinion also! I'm guessing that in order to sell this unit for $899 and meet budget, the money spent on cosmetics (or design) was minimal with the "big bucks" put toward the insides. Maybe the future "higher-end" processor will knock our socks off with a super looking exterior to go with a knockout list of features. For a "little more money", of course!

[This message has been edited by steves (edited January 18, 2003).]

#44485 - 01/18/03 11:06 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Hey, Steve, better hang on to that Elvis painting -- mighty hard to find velvet Elvis these days. I was just talking about that with an architect earlier this week. (Yep, one of the perks of living in Memphis, we get to keep up to date on the caliber of Elvis souvenirs...)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44486 - 01/18/03 11:27 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by eskendir:
.....Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

The front panel of the 950 is actually aluminum, they just went to a lot of trouble to make it _look_ like plastic. Weird, huh.....

#44487 - 01/19/03 04:14 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Cool, I heavily agree that looks *enhance* the package, but it would take some gawdaweful looks to turn me off of a piece of gear that otherwise was an excellent performer.

Personally, I'd be very interested to see if ever there's a 950 Mk II and if anything changes cosmetically, and then if/when the 950's big brother comes out.

Another thought is this: when someone visits and checks out my HT, there's a certain level of "class" inherent with the rest of my gear. The 950 is kind of the "ugly duckling" or the "black sheep" of the bunch... I'd prefer it to be more of a "statement" component, but I guess you can't win 'em all!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44488 - 01/19/03 11:52 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

This topic continues to be debated hotly here and on AVS forum. Check it out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212363
Hope the people at outlaw are listening.

#44489 - 01/19/03 01:47 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
... I think that has a classy look. Grey plastic, and fisher price style green buttons don't do it for me.

I'll end up rattle canning this bad boy... watch.

eskendir,

I *know* you didn't write this, you just cross posted it from AVS, but I still have to remark ...

Yet another complaint about how Outlaw equipment looks by someone who's never seen any nor (and this is my beef with the original poster) even spoken with someone who has. As anyone who's seen an Outlaw piece and they'll tell you ... they are black. The face plates are a piece of flat black anodized, machined aluminum. The remained of the cabinets are semi-glass black ... I'm not sure if they're powder coated, or painted tho.

{sigh}

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#44490 - 01/19/03 04:40 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by eskendir:
This topic continues to be debated hotly here and on AVS forum. Check it out.

I would keep the discussion here, not at the AVS forum. I _know_ the "Big Outlaw" reads these forums, can't say the same for the AVS.

I have poked around AVS, and I got's to say, it seems like a kind of 'urban sprawl' type of place - too crowded, too faceless. I prefer the intimacy of this forum: it seems like a friendlier place.

Page 5 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM