Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#44571 - 04/16/03 01:18 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
Digital,
You make good points. (As has eskendir) Clearly, Outlaw needs to look at the opportunity costs of continuing with the current design versus a change. If changing the design creates additional costs and takes them to a level they feel jeopardizes their business model, costing sales, they would be making an error in changing the design. However, as I have looked at this from a business standpoint in all of my comments, and, if you look at other forums, clearly there are sales being lost that may be captured by sprucing up their looks. Whether there are enough to warrant changes, I don't know. They have to make that call.

By the way, I'm not keeping score. That's for Outlaw to do. I was just pointing out that "huge response" was not what it was being purported to be.

Ron

#44572 - 04/16/03 03:20 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

Ron, don't you think it is possible to offer a different finish (say silver) without making any changes(well, maybe the logo)to the current lineup? Say, like Anthem, B&K, Rotel et al... That way they don't risk of losing the current happy customers and gain the lost sales from those potential customers who consider looks a factor when we make our AV gear buying decision. For the record, I think all Outlaw products are first class when it comes to sonic performance at their price point. Can't be beat!!! But I have a significant other and she would not let me bring that beast 770 home. Her exact word, and I quote "that toy looking thing" She rather have me spend more money on a gear that looks good. So I have to find a product that has both, performance for me, and a look for my wife, at a fair price. So the hunting goes on.....

#44573 - 04/16/03 04:41 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

eskendir,
Yes to your question. Though, I'm not too crazy about silver. Too trendy. But, remember, I'm one of the ones that likes the current esthetics (bad taste...different strokes for different folks). Looks like you have to either pay more for the same performance or compromise performance to get the looks you want. One solution for you is to put it all behind a cabinet and use an IR infrared kit. Works like a charm. By the way, my wife doesn't like the looks of any HT equipment, regardless of how spiffy it is.

I wouldn't lose hope on Outlaw. I'm sure they are aware of the lost sales and will do something if it can be done without starting to change the business model (There I go again).

Ron

#44574 - 04/16/03 06:22 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw has asked for user input in the past. Heck, the contest that they used to give away a free 950 was a poll of whether or not we wanted "surround modes" like Hall and Stadium -- the ones that look great in the feature list at Best Buy but that the typical Outlaw user just skips over on his way to other things. It was a risky choice because it is a noticeable gap in the laundry list of features, but the majority of the people who responded said "no" and Outlaw listened.

Outlaw was very eager to get the word out about the 950 -- and they paid the price in forums between fall 2001 and spring 2002. As a result, they have chosen to keep quiet about future products until much closer to the time they are ready to ship. The New Product Suggestions forum is a handy place for folks like us to toss out ideas -- like David Olstein's wishlist (and a mighty fine list, I might add).

When it comes to looks, there's one problem. You can never please everyone. I grew up surrounded by artists and work with architects and interior designers every day, and one thing that I figured out long ago is that one person's masterpiece is another person's embarrassment. Based on the quantity of feedback that Outlaw has had over the last couple years on the appearance of their gear, I agree that they need to make sure aesthetics are kept in mind for future products. They have certainly made some progress since the 1050 (in my humble opinion, of course -- the 950 and the hibernating IR1000 are cleaner, less cluttered designs than the 1050's assortment of round and rectangular buttons and the pinstripe). I think it would be sort of cool to see a style change at some point, where they migrate to a less spartan style. Offering everything in silver as an option feels like more of a band-aid, although that may be my lack of enthusiasm for silver faceplates speaking. Maybe it's an effective band-aid.

Eskendir -- I wish you the best on your search. If all else fails, you could always conceal the 770 (behind a nice wood panel perhaps, with some nice natural ventilation available to keep it cool) and have something even better than a pretty amp: an unseen amp.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44575 - 04/16/03 06:36 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
If all else fails, you could always conceal the 770 (behind a nice wood panel perhaps, with some nice natural ventilation available to keep it cool) and have something even better than a pretty amp: an unseen amp.

Now that is original gonk! An unseen amp!!! Why didn't I think of that?

#44576 - 04/18/03 09:42 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
JT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I don't understand why a Logo bothers you so much! Cover it up if it bothers you that much or buy the company and make you're own logo. If this is the only complaint, you obviously have a fine piece of equipment, not a piece of art. Get over it...

#44577 - 04/18/03 07:22 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I've recently received my new 950 and 770, and I think it all looks good. Granted, some black boxes look better than others, but I still think that big amp & pre look really good.

#44578 - 04/23/03 07:33 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
The main thing I find annoying with the looks of the Model 950 are the buttons. They are very loose, flimsy, wobbly feeling. They should have a much more positive, solid feel like a Lexicon or even a Denon.

Quality buttons and switches don't cost that much, but add a lot to the overall build quality fit 'n' finish aspect, and they last a lot longer too. I've been in some cars where I'm sure the overall quality was solid, but the handles, dials, switches and the like were of very flimsy, thin plastic. That little detail lowered my opinion of those cars compared to others. It said to me that the attention to detail just wasn't as "there." Strange how the consumer mind works, but it's usually more true than not.

I do like the newly designed green button that they used on the new slim line amp.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited April 23, 2003).]

#44579 - 04/24/03 10:37 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
TANGO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jenison, MI, United States
Eskendir, grundrc- you don't know how lucky you are to have wives with equipment ideas like yours! Mine only likes FREE equipment, looks aren't even on the radar screen (and we all know what you get with FREE equipment).

However I really like what Outlaw did to the INSIDE. Have my 950/7100 combo for about a month-- and didn't realize it came with 680 CD's. That's my collection and I say new because I NEVER heard them sound this way before. AWESOME!!!

------------------

#44580 - 04/25/03 09:58 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

TANGO,
If my wife had any idea what I have invested in A/V equipment, I'd be in a heap of trouble.
Ron

Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM