Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17 >
Topic Options
#44531 - 03/15/03 04:22 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
charlie Offline
Desperado

That's already the tactic - the flashier unit is called the AT P-2000 IIRC....

#44532 - 03/15/03 05:46 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SpOoNmAn:
I like the look of the Outlaw gear, its a rugged, no nonsense look. And while I would like flashier gear, it does appeal to me

Write on Brother...

The Outlaw design philosophy is for the most part very representative of what it does... "Form follows function", and "Less is More" are the architectural descriptions of this aesthetic.

The design (in aggregate) is very elegant, in the same way that aircraft instrumentation or a divers watch has no spare decoration (or flashiness); it is all about the business of doing what it is supposed to do, as precisely and as simply as possible. Pilots, Divers and Audiophiles…

That being said, the industrial designers at Outlaw have made some choices that I believe are more a result of personal taste (unique designs that were developed early in the companies history) which are not consistent with their overall design philosophy. These include the Outlaw logo and green plastic power buttons, etc…

The Volume Knob on the 950 does not disturb me as much as it seems to affect others, but it too could be refined, possibly by adding weight. I have always liked the tactile feel of viscous damped controls, such as the throttle control on aircraft. Engine Speed (which affects thrust), like Volume, is something that is done with purpose, and should not be so delicate that it could be mistakenly altered, or over corrected.

My admiration for Outlaw and their designers is without reservation. They have done a great job. As a young company, it will refine its identity as time moves on. These small design wanderings are part of that maturation process. It could be done better, and given the talent demonstrated by Outlaw, I am confident it will.

The logo and plastic green button stuff does make me wish I was in the room when the "GO or NO GO" design decision was made, but it could have been much worse. It could have been flashy.

#44533 - 03/15/03 06:10 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Very well said indeed AGAssarsson. I think we've covered all the bases within our last few posts, LOL.

Time will tell where they go from here, and unfortunately, I hate waiting. But who doesn't?

Like most things, I'm sure whatever turns up will be well worth the wait.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#44534 - 03/15/03 08:20 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

For those of you who have the blessing of your significant other two bring this beast home, well all I can say is, I envy you! I for one who have to wait for a better looking design or till I visit the divorce court!!

#44535 - 03/16/03 12:58 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
One guy who bought three Outlaw components was complaing because they don't even match - that is a VERY valid issue IMO.

Charlie - I am that guy, and I also have one of those spouses who hate all those boxes!
Although Outlaw has kept the prices of their gear down by outsourcing to Malaysia, Taiwan etc. I really think it would have been prudent to have all the products match cosmetically. How difficult would it have been to say "This is the Power button we wish you to use"!
I only have three products, but imagine a rack full of Outlaw with nine green buttons of differing flavors !!!!

#44536 - 03/16/03 03:04 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi:

I only have three products, but imagine a rack full of Outlaw with nine green buttons of differing flavors !!!![/B]

Kiwi, You can always say you are a collector of Outlaw products.

[This message has been edited by eskendir (edited March 16, 2003).]

#44537 - 03/18/03 04:03 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Don Andres Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Issaquah, WA
Here's a different spin on this: the 950 design reminds me of the HiFi gear made by Braun (yep, that's the makers of electric razors, alarm clocks etc.)in the 80's in Germany. Very similar, down to the green power button and the black face that can be described as black as the black levels of some plasma displays :-)
Anyways, Braun equipment was rated highly at the time and definitely not cheap and those components have become collectibles. So may be the 950 actually has a very expensive retro-style look that will make them collectibles in the future too!

Anyway, I don't think the 950's design is very attractive but I can live with it. It sounds pretty good to me and offers the features I want. May be one of these days I'll take a permanent marker and black out that power button . . . :-)

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to include pictures in my post so you could see for yourself.

#44538 - 03/18/03 08:08 PM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
eskendir Offline
Gunslinger

How Outlaw came to choose those green power button is what everybody wants to know!

#44539 - 03/19/03 12:09 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Green = GO

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#44540 - 03/19/03 02:09 AM Re: I think it is time to change that ugly logo & cosmetics of Outlaw. Do you agree?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Ahhh, magic marker! I tried cutting a piece of electrical tape out, but never looked that great.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM