Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#44431 - 01/15/03 10:49 PM bypass default workaround?
hardwood Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland Or.
Anybody found a way to make BYPASS the default for the CD input? I find its a pain to switch to the CD input then switch to AUD to get at the Bypass button. This wouldnt be so bad but I always end up leaving the remote that way, then none of the CD functions work. Switching back to for CD functions turns off bypass and reverts to default setting. Why cant I just set CD default to BYPASS?

(Ya Ya Ya, already know the hand over the end thing and I think its a ridiculous solution)

#44432 - 01/15/03 10:56 PM Re: bypass default workaround?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
You might try plugging your CD player into the main front left and right inputs of the 5.1 multi-channel bypass input, and turn the bass management toggle switch "off". You would then select the CD player, unaltered by DSP stuff from the remote using the "6 CH" button (it's also "NEXT") on the remote.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 15, 2003).]

#44433 - 01/15/03 11:15 PM Re: bypass default workaround?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I have a macro that sends the "6 CH" signal to the 950 when in DVD mode so I can use the 5.1 analog input for DVD-Audio discs without switching to the AUD mode. A similar macro could be used to enable the analog bypass. I mention the trick in my 950 review (see my sig), and in this thread .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44434 - 01/17/03 02:27 PM Re: bypass default workaround?
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I have a macro that sends the "6 CH" signal to the 950 when in DVD mode so I can use the 5.1 analog input for DVD-Audio discs without switching to the AUD mode. A similar macro could be used to enable the analog bypass. I mention the trick in my 950 review (see my sig), and in this thread .

This is exactly what I do for cd. I much prefer the output of my cd player to the 950 dacs (my cd player costs almost as much as the 950)and I was frustrated at having to change to AUD to set bypass mode. I programmed a simple macro (I think it's only one step) and can switch to bypass mode while the cd is selected. Works great.

#44435 - 01/18/03 12:55 PM Re: bypass default workaround?
hardwood Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just what to thank you guys for the suggestions, I tried them out and it works great. ANYBODY with a 950 should at least try this out. I dont have a fancy CD player (sony dvp-cx850 200 disc dvd changer) Its about 3 years old and sounds way, way better than the dacs in the 950. I always assumed that the Outlaw dacs would sound better. Guys, dont automaticly think you need a great CD player for this to work better. Deeper, wider, cleaner, fells like I just got a new CD player. Thanks again and after you try this out, post back!

#44436 - 01/18/03 03:59 PM Re: bypass default workaround?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Not to be a nitt-picker or anything...

Just be aware, that if you do 2 channel stereo bypass mode, and if you have your mains set as small, with a sub on, you *will* get the double bass problem in bypass mode. You might not care, and that's OK, but you should know that's what the 950 does.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44437 - 01/19/03 12:24 AM Re: bypass default workaround?
hardwood Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes sir, thats the fist thing I noticed. I do love the bass.

Anybody figure out how to get "triple base problem"?

#44438 - 01/19/03 04:05 AM Re: bypass default workaround?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Since we're talking about "double bass", I actually have a slightly useful/slightly waaaay obtuse question:

The 80 Hz crossover on the 5.1 analog inputs puts the crossed over material to the sub 180 deg out of phase wrt the mains, vs the digital crossover (DD, PCM).

What if, I specifically went full range with the 5.1 inputs, to specifically get double bass, which would *perhaps* enable a person to not have to keep swapping the phase back and forth on the sub? (In other words, *use* the double bass to beef up the out of phase material?)

I do have that EFT software, just haven't tried it yet. This would be an interesting experiment I think...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts