Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#44372 - 01/14/03 07:56 PM Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: punta gorda, florida, usa
Had a new red dot era unit that had a loud buzz on my Klipsch speakers even with the unit in mute. Received my blue dot exchange today & no buzz whatsoever, unit even sounds more dynamic. Was afraid of it being a send back unit with scratches & there were a couple on the rear but not the front but the sound is fantastic.

#44373 - 01/14/03 11:42 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
Good to hear, I just got my blue dot today and had to work. I am "sick" tomorrow to give me the day to install.

#44374 - 01/15/03 04:08 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Congrats Outlaws.

My blue dot...just finished installing has almost NO hiss. I have to turn it way up and put the hear to the tweeter to hear it...congrats!

Adding more "gain" was a nice plus as well...actually had to trim channels down to calibrate properly!

#44375 - 01/15/03 05:33 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
My 950 has now been on for 9 days straight and I have been converted to believe there IS a break-in period.

This thing sounds better every day. Right now I am listening to Ricki Lee Jones. Her voice can be hard to understand on lesser systems, on mine it is hauntingly clear. James Taylor has a warmth and an intimate sound that was never before present. Van Morrison is more powerful than I had noticed previously. I have been a 2 channel guy for over 20 years, working as a Radio DJ during my college years.

Yes, I equalize my small, inexpensive speakers, I cross over to my SVS too high, and I use Radio Shack Gold interconnects. I am sure, however, that I am listening to the music the way it was intended.-- For the first time. Because of the 950, I upgraded. Now, because of the red dot 950, I am satisfied.

#44376 - 01/15/03 08:18 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
So everyone here gets the mute circuit click and they just don't care about it?

This might be a reason for me to return my blue dot.

The sound is fine, it's when the sound is lacking that I find it troublesome

#44377 - 01/15/03 08:35 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
willscary:

it really is great to hear your hearing great

#44378 - 01/15/03 09:11 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

willscary posted
Yes, I equalize my small, inexpensive speakers, I cross over to my SVS too high, and I use Radio Shack Gold interconnects. I am sure, however, that I am listening to the music the way it was intended.-- For the first time.

I first listened with the crossover set somewhat high on the 950. Music sounded great. It sounded far better than what I used before I got the 950. A few months later, I lowered the crossover just to see what it sounded like. Man, oh man, it sounded so much better.

#44379 - 01/15/03 09:19 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by applejelly:
So everyone here gets the mute circuit click and they just don't care about it?

Actually, I don't get a mute circuit click with my blue dot...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44380 - 01/15/03 09:31 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
Got my Blue dot up and running late last week. My first 950, a real hisser was returned for the replacement Red dot. After having both in my system, Red and Blue, to compare side by side, I sent the Red dot packing. I now sit back and hear music and movies the way it should sound. The final edition 950 is the real deal. I hope that all the early 950's that everyone received and did not return when they were offered sound this good. Tip my hat to Outlaw for finding the problem, getting it worked out and sending it along all shipping paid. Now excuse me while I make some fresh popcorn and watch a movie..

#44381 - 01/15/03 10:06 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I don't have a pop either. Mine always switches quietly. My crossovers are all set at 100hz. I cannot go down to 80 hz with my little Klipschs, they don't reach anywhere near that low. The only bummer about these speakers is that SACD and DVD-A will not really be possible with the 950s bass management. I need bigger speakers or an ICBM if I want to go hi-rez.

#44382 - 01/15/03 10:08 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: punta gorda, florida, usa
Have to agree about the great sound. Bought mine new when the read dots came out as I thought that was going to be the fix. Got mine & there was a hiss even when on mute. Was skeptical about an exchange because did not want one that was returned scratched up, etc. Well first thing I noticed was when I unpacked my blue dot exchange was there was scratches all around the rear of the unit, was cursing etc, because hell I paid for a new unit originally that was supposed to have the hiss problem fixed. Connected my scratched blue dot & the performance is fantastic, no hiss at any volume or with the mute. Sounds better then my original also. I also have a Parasound AVC2500 which costs 3+x the cost of my 950 & I like the 950 better. Would have liked a brand new unit instead of a scratched up returned rebuilt one though. Could have had mine rebuilt but when speaking with the outlaws who are really fantastic I was told I probably would get a brand new one that was a red dot era unit in the wharehouse with new boards that they really cannot sell for new but it turns out I got someone elses that was returned & someone else will get my original one after it is rebuilt. It sounds great but I know the scratches are there.

#44383 - 01/16/03 12:25 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Well, my blue dot is in perfect condition...no scratches on the exterior, there are a few light ones on the sat input I DONT CARE. I dont get any of the clicking or popping on mutes yall are talking about, but I only have coax digital running, no optical.

I love the final version. Had to invite some friends over for SIGNS (movie) and it was awesome. THANKS OUTLAWS!!

#44384 - 01/16/03 01:58 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
AJ- Did you try the coax connection?

But obviously even if it is particular to the opt input, still shouldn't do it. Might want to talk to Outlaw and see what they say. (Oh, have you tried a *different* opt input?)

Over the weekend (or sooner; I'm curious now! ), I will *try* an optical connection to see if it's any different on my system.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44385 - 01/16/03 09:59 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, I tried both coax and optical inputs - same result.

According to Scott at Outlaw, they all have the muting circuit. According to the users here, the circuit is quiet for some, clicky for others. Not sure why that is. My speakers are only average sensitivity. Either other people are subconsciously ignoring the click, or their circuit operates differently than mine.

If it wasn't for this issue, I would be very pleased. Instead, I am deciding whether or not I can live with this.

#44386 - 01/16/03 03:37 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

AJ- I just tried my opt1. Still no click. I even tried changing the DSP mode from stereo to a 7 channel mode. Still no click. Bug Scott. Maybe he'd let you try another unit just in case there's something peculiar with yours...

#44387 - 01/16/03 04:27 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Applejelly - I don't quite know what you mean by a mute clicking noise. I have hit the mute button a few times and I hear no clicking noise. As for the blue dot 950, mine sounds great, looks brand new and I love it. The hiss is very minimal. As far as buzz - I did have one but only after I coiled my wires connecting the amp to the 950. I uncoiled them for that natural "rat's nest" look and the buzz went away. I don't know. Anyway, the Cornwalls have never sounded better. Later.

Don

#44388 - 01/16/03 04:38 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

scubadj,
I am referring to the auto-muting circuit that has now been installed into the 950. It senses when there is no digital signal present and mutes the 950's output. Originally when the 950 had hiss, Outlaw explained this as their design not having a mute circuit (which could degrade sound/peformance), but other manufacturers do this to cover up noise problems. Apparently they decided to be sure no one complained about hiss when nothing was playing, so they added it in.

This has nothing to do with pressing the mute button (but I bet mine clicks then too, but I have not verified that yet). It is an automatic thing for a digital input. Other brands may do this, but since you cannot hear the mute kick in, you don't know it is there. The reason I know it is there, is because I can hear it engage, which happens a lot. Funny thing is, I don't hear the hiss drop after the mute turns on. To me it appears unnecessary.

#44389 - 01/16/03 07:14 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the explanation Applejelly. I guess I've never noticed this before. Or my unit doesn't have this problem. Do you think it's a case of I've never noticed or my 950 doesn't have the click. If I understand you correctly, you make it sound like it's built into the 950 and we should all hear it. Later, Don

#44390 - 01/16/03 07:33 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
charlie Offline
Desperado

With a digital signal the absence of sound is different from the absence of signal, plus it can also be determined with certainty if the data stream is in fact a flatline of if their is a teeny little signal there. Using this fact it is possible to apply a muting circuit when no digital sound is present without fear of muting a quiet musical passage.

It is rumored that the old 950 omitted this 'feature' but the so called 'blue dot' or 'SH fixed' version includes it, apparently as a sort of 'everything but the kitchen sink' attack on noise. I'm assuming Outlaw was tired of fix after refix and at some point pulled out all the stops to kill this issue before their reputation is shot. From all reports the noise IS fixed - but some folks are now finding the muting circuit annoying.

I'm curious - how often does it really get triggered?

#44391 - 01/16/03 08:02 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

I triggers for me when I am watching a DVD and I
1) pause it for more than a second or two
2) REW or FF for more than second or two
3) when the DVD switches titles and there is a break in the bitstream
4) Switching from an active input (say VCR) to a another inactive input (say DVD before you push play)

Pressing the mute button also makes the click /pop sound.

I just want silence to begin and end without the click/pop in the middle. Am I being overly sensitive here and can others just ignore it? or are most of the units out there truly silent when the mute kicks in?

#44392 - 01/16/03 08:08 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
charlie Offline
Desperado

I could live with a _quiet_ click, but if it's too intrusive I'd be sending it back. How loud is it really? I've not read of any other folks complaining, I wonder if you noticed it and now it really rubs you or if your setup/unit is somehow unique?

#44393 - 01/16/03 08:11 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
gonk Offline
Desperado

I initially just tried the mute button. Since then, I've also tried turning off the DVD player while on the DVD input and pausing a DVD in an effort to force a click (all of this using an optical digital input). No click here at all. Does it only happen with your DVD player only? Could it be an odd interaction between the particular model of DVD player and the 950? If not, it may be particular to your unit, because I've not encountered a click like what you are describing once, and I've been using my blue dot heavily in the last week.

------------------

#44394 - 01/16/03 08:14 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Quote:
It is rumored that the old 950 omitted this 'feature' but the so called 'blue dot' or 'SH fixed' version includes it.

Not "rumored". Fact.

#44395 - 01/16/03 08:18 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
My 950 had one click yesterday (not loud, but noticable) after I paused my DVD player and started it again after awhile. It has not done it before or since. As a reference, my Sony EP9-es processor clicks _every_ time a digital signal is acquired.

#44396 - 01/16/03 09:07 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Not "rumored". Fact.

I'm not privy to the engineering documents that would establish this as fact, so I report it as rumor (albeit well founded) out of an abundance of caution. YMMV.

Maybe I'm just a bit gun shy.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited January 16, 2003).]

#44397 - 01/16/03 10:02 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
soundhound Offline
Desperado

What do facts have to do with anything?

#44398 - 01/17/03 02:28 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Charlie- If you listen for it, you can hear it. I had a red dot (equivalent). No digital mute. I now have a blue dot (equivalent). Has the digital mute. No "click", just that the low level of hiss that is present, decreases a bit more when the digital mute engages.

#44399 - 01/17/03 06:38 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I have finally settled down with my "blue-dot" version and yes there is an audible click, or more of a slight thump, when either engaging the mute or when the digital mute activates. The auto mute seems to be triggered easier using my cd player and pausing a track. The cd is connected optically. As for my DVD, it does not seem to mute as "quickly" when a track is paused or the DVD is stopped altogether. I can actually verify my hiss level by stopping a DVD and adjusting the volume up to +10 with no mute.

Inconsistent yes, a problem, NO. I love the new "blue-dot" fix.

#44400 - 01/17/03 11:57 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

I dont think I get the thump you are talking about. I do have the decoding locked into the value I want, therefore the stream does not "unlock" I guess! I tried all AJ had listed and was unable to hear a thump. I did not do this at movie volume either (people were sleeping)!

#44401 - 01/17/03 12:04 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
charlie Offline
Desperado

I'm now curious if the old units clicked or thumped with a manual application of the mute circuit, as the new ones seem to?

Could it be either a newly introduced (tiny) flaw in the mute circuit, or maybe the new units are just allowing you to hear the mute circuit, or what? Or has the mute always made a noise on transition, but never was noticed before?

#44402 - 01/18/03 03:35 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in the sound from their old units to the blue dot. Not sure if is good or bad, but I seem to notice a lot smoother, warmer sound that seems to emphasize the mid a low frequencies more than the previous units did. I actually have used two different blue dot versions and my second one seems to be lacking the high end and life like feel the previous one had.

Maybe it is an ear thing that I have to get used to or maybe the burn in time.

Anyway, just curious what others have noticed.

Scott

#44403 - 01/18/03 03:54 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
gonk Offline
Desperado

I noticed much more "burn in" on my blue dot than my previous 950's -- when first connected, it seemed noticeably harsher, which I initially attributed to the sub being unhooked at the time. I didn't get the sub plugged back in for a day or so, and shortly before I did reconnect it I noticed that the harshness was much less pronounced (it had been on all day while we were at work). Just an uneducated guess, but perhaps the blue dot modifications take a little more burn in time? Aside from that, I have not noticed a real difference in sound between the blue dot and earlier revisions.

------------------

#44404 - 01/18/03 04:39 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

I might of actually found the problem. I tried changing the crossover points and noticed no change in the bass level. Therefore, I did a system reset by removing the volume know and inserting a paper clip. After recalibrating, I reset the crossover points and they seem to be working. I am not sure why the crossovers would have "locked up" but the reset worked. My system seems much more alive now with the proper bass management. I guess would explain the over empahsized middle and bass in my center speaker.

Scott

#44405 - 01/19/03 04:07 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Why I like the Outlaw Black, Red or Blue. Or How a Newbie explains in improper terminology what’s so great about the 950.

You might call the 950 a chameleon, it’s been through changes, the original launch , and two-dot versions.
But through each revision…what I have enjoyed is the heart/soul of the 950’s ability to reproduce music.

I switched 3 versions through 2 sets speakers/2 VCR’s/3 STB’s/3 DVD players/3 displays. Mind you none of these items hit the above 10K price per piece mark.

Black version: Received and was disappointed. Had no concept of ‘how-to’ tweak, calibrate and control room acoustics. Still have so much to learn life can only get better in this area. But after 2 or 3 weeks with the 950, I thought…every step of the road it keeps improving…. where’s the ceiling?
Red version: I was never bothered by the ‘hiss’ as others who take seriously their noise floor. Since the Black version (sounded so good) since I was able over weeks to rid myself of audio hiss through various tweaks and upgrades, I ended with a resolution not to return my original 950. I worked too hard to get it ‘just there’.
I felt my red dot, decreased hiss levels, (as I noted in a review) but I was unsure of the dynamic range of the 950 in this version particularly in the higher frequencies. I felt it had lost a little of the life and vitality the 1st 950 displayed.
Blue Version: The dynamite sound of the original 950 is there, with reduced hiss. Just placed it in my system last night, and without having had time to tweak and demo much source material have already formed an opinion based on playing with 2 other 950’s quite a bit.

I’m keeping my original 950 and the ‘Blue Dot’ version. And in my messy way I’ll attempt to detail what I like about the Outlaw sound.

For years without paying much attention, I have been attracted to the ‘digital revolution’ while on the same hand being turned off by it sonically. I like the improvements but felt during rare moments when I was able to hear live performance that our technology had gained us less ‘noise’, more accuracy in recording playback, but had lost the organic sound (particularly when comparing something like an orchestration live with no digitally enhanced instruments and played without benefit of PA). Reducing the whole audio sensation of hearing the ‘ting’ of metal bells etc, the resonance of wood soundboards…. guitars, violins, cello’s, pianos. etc. The metallic breathy sound of a flute, the bone felt rumble of drums. The experts who discuss the difference’s between ‘digital’ and ‘analogue’ explain the smooth transitions of analogue constantly rising voltage which access an infinite number of values., Vs the ‘bed of nail’s’ effect of digital reproduction which is incremented with values between the increments not defined. Effectively reducing the ‘range’ of values any digital implementation can effetely acurrently reproduce as compared to analog.

Outlaw following with the rest of modern processors with higher bit rates and greater processing power keeps improving digital, as do all.

But what the 950 does for me, is appearing to handle what values are possible in Digital applications thereby making (digital) sound more accurate to its organic origins (the music it is attempting to reproduce), but without some of the ‘drawbacks’ the collection of parts involved in current processing often offers as a by-product. Namely for me my largest grip…. Coloring the sound.
I don’t know why I feel that the collection of parts of a 950 handles this situation better, having no engineering degree, but my ears hear it.
I have listened to the low-end to middle-high collections at retail Brick & Mortars, many Marantz, B&K, Pioneer, Sony, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo etc. Outlaw just does it better.
Marantz are pale and dull, or at its best what I think of as a ‘warm milk’ sound. It may not be strident or objectionable but it’s not very exciting or palatable either.
B&K depending on what it’s paired with can have a ‘hard’ clinical or ‘flat’ sound.
Harmon Karden, more musical but leans heavy to warmth.
No processor accurately reproduces live performance as heard through human auditory canals.

The 950 gets closer to that experience (more often than most for me), but it is utterly dependent upon source.
When I have a recording with sharp fast transients, in your face forward and tending to overload and distort through many systems (hard rock) the 950 images well. I believe its referred to as ‘cumulative spectral decay’ and it’s a drawback of very layered, loud, busy recordings. My ear hears a blurring of everything going on. The 950 reduces this effect. When I give it a spectacular sonic recording with perfect stereo imaging with depth and ambience, and air. The 950 passes it. And the revealing replication of the richness and subtlety of a single powerful loud note or the quietest passages is transparent and pure and closer to the naturalness (or what I’m looking for the RESONANCE) of a live instrument.

If my ear is capable of ‘remembering’ a fullness of tone and correct timbral ‘pitch’ of a signal note on a particularly instrument, (a grand and how it sounds at each key, each octave. I think I’m hearing that more faithfully reproduced through the 950.with more of the height, width, and depth that note displays when I’m in the presence of the instrument itself.

What I like about the 950, is whatever I pair it with ….better DACS in bypass (as it should easily just routing it, - but some do not). Greater frequency range capabilities in a speaker, it passes the sound truthfully and accurately. If I bring it a recording rich in subtle detail the 950 hands it to me, more naturally than the competition.
The 950 is great to pair with a lessor cost system as it won’t ‘hurt’ the system by interjecting coloration the can negatively impact whatever limitations are already present. If the speakers are strident, bright and cannot reproduce flat and extended highs, it will not add to the problem, (in fact it will clean up the imaging and frequency stranglehold increasing extension). With the 950 and a silk dome tweeter elevated highs which could wear me out with harshness and strident reflections (or almost distortions) were no longer fatiguing. (Probably my largest recent concern with any system other than bland and emotionless playback). The 950 holds capabilities in reserve allowing it to be paired with higher end DACs and speakers because it does it’s job, routing and processing without negative impacts or interaction in harmonics and detail.

If this sounds like an ‘emotionally connected consumer’ I’d have to state I am. What I have been searching for was a system capable of not just being nice,clean,accurant,capable or feature rich and user interface friendly. But a system which was capable of pulling an emotional reaction to sound out of me, when the recording has the quality level which is capable of producing that response. The 950 delivers to the point sending me searching for the ‘best of the best’ in CD’s and DVD’s, and (key test) breathing new life into old recordings left on a shelf due to past overplaying or personal taste revisions.

Is there an utlimate system at any price? There will never be a definitive answer to that question unless we are all willing to vote one set of 'golden ears', the final judge and jury. Are there better setups out there? Certainly and always according to personal tastes, prefrences. Is there more for the money out there than this Outlaw, ...I have not found it, nor expect too, till tech evolves and trickles down again in the next few years.

#44406 - 01/20/03 12:52 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Smoother and warmer? I'm hearing some great things about how the blue dot sounds with music. I've had the original and red dot versions. I found the red dot did help improve things with music somewhat over the original, but have never been a big fan of 2 channel with the 950 - though definitely a big fan of how the 950 sounds with HT.

So I'm wondering if I should bother Scott again about sending me the blue dot special.

So waddya'all think? Is the effect subtle - possibly given to the placebo effect? Or do most of you think the blue dot DOES offer a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!

#44407 - 01/20/03 02:27 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

HT CRAZED,

I have owned all three. The original 950, I gave a GOOD rating. The Red dot was given the BETTER and the Blue dot the BEST. You really can hear the difference with the blue dot. You can listen to your collection of cd's or dvd's without any distraction of hiss. After calibration the new 950 just sounds better. When I put in a well recorded cd, that is clean, clear and crisp. That is what I hear coming out. I also do not hear any clicks or pops in my 950 as others have reported.

#44408 - 01/20/03 06:54 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Will Offline
Desperado

The blue dot is clearly, to me, different than the red dot as well.

After having owned all three, I can say I never heard that much difference between the original and the red dot. Both had a loud hiss in my system and both had what I would call the Outlaw 950 "signature" sound which was distinct enough that the first time Soundhound came into my home and heard my red dot 950, he could immediately tell that the 950 was playing. My speakers are totally different from Soundhound's and normally one associates signatures with speakers and that may be true in my system as well, but despite it all, the original and red dot 950 had the same distinct signature sound.

The signature sound may be a byproduct of the hiss. The original 950 and the red dot 950, both have the hiss and the same signature sound, and also both sound a little too harsh, at least to my ears. I found the original and red dot 950 after listening, to be slightly fatiguing to my ears. Excellent sounding, with a "special" sound all its own, also but slightly harsh and fatiguing.

The blue dot does not have as much of the 950 signature sound. It sounds more "normal". Not as fatiguing, not as harsh, not as hissy, not as "special". It sounds like what most "normal" components sound like. I think the blue dot is a real improvement!

[This message has been edited by Will (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44409 - 01/20/03 11:18 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by HT crazed:

So I'm wondering if I should bother Scott again about sending me the blue dot special.

So waddya'all think?

I seem to recall you saying that your red dot 950 _was_ awfully hissy.....

The new 950 has the 'signature' sound of the particular IC they switched to in the analog section. I noted in one of my first posts that the new 950 has a more 'spaitial' soundfield on my system. As well, it looses the somewhat hard and brittle sound I heard with the old red dot.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44410 - 01/20/03 01:21 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

HT crazed,

If you exchanged your original for the Red dot to relieve your ears of the hiss issue, than by all means ask for the final fixed 950. After I received my Red dot I let them know that if a better 950 ever went into production that I wanted one. Outlaw continued to work on a final fix, they were aware that some of us still had some issue with hiss in our systems. That version came out on Dec.17,02. I now have one in my theater room. It was worth the exchanges to get it.

#44411 - 01/20/03 01:26 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
patman Offline
Gunslinger

You folks are making me want the blue dot unit!

#44412 - 01/20/03 01:55 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Actually I have to admit I haven't had hiss issues with any of the 950's I received, but did notice a sound quality improvement with the red dot unit for music as well as more dynamic HT.

With all of your excellent feedback and help, it looks like I have no choice but to be a thorn in Scotts side yet again. Hearing improved 2 channel performance out of my 950 would be sooo sweet.

As has been mentioned before, how amazing is it that Outlaw continues to support its early adopters with the latest and greatest. I've never received that level of customer service from any other company - ever.

#44413 - 01/20/03 02:17 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound - by the way, the "hardness" in certain registers and lack of spatiality were probably my two biggest gripes. That's great to hear that they might have solved these issues with the blue dot! Where do I sign up?

#44414 - 01/20/03 02:40 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I've been quite happy with my red dot. I've characterized the 950 to folks as an excellent HT pre/pro and a "quite good" music pre/pro.

My reservations on the music side is that the midrange seems a bit underemphasized which drains a bit of the warmth and presence of the audio in music playback.

Does the blue dot version have any impact on that aspect of music playback?

#44415 - 01/20/03 02:55 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
soundhound Offline
Desperado

The difference in sound of the blue dot is a subjective thing - I can't say if it will address your issue, as I haven't had your particular complaint.

BTW: I see you live in Los Angeles - I do too. If you'd care to stop by and hear mine, you are welcome to do so.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 20, 2003).]

#44416 - 01/22/03 10:50 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Bridge Guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, WV
I’ve been lurking in the 950 pages for some time now. I bought my 950 in September right after reserving it based on the announcement they would soon be shipping. In less than a week I got the email asking if I still wanted it. I wasn’t quite ready for the short time line but went ahead getting it bundled with a 755.

Four months now, and the excessive noise problem has mercifully passed me by. I did the noise test by trying an analog input with volume set at -20, then at -10, then, what the hey, +10. Nothing. OK, try analog video, silence. 950 even working? Finally, having about 3000 lp’s and a Sound Valves tubed preamp used now a days solely for it’s phono stage, I turned it on and, finally, got some noise. The normal preamp noise one would get with their phono stage turned up to nine. No big deal.

Result-- this is one silent amplifier. I am pleased I wasn’t subjected to the grief many of you went through; pleased, am I with the entire Outlaw experience.

The system is used for audio and DVD through Snell D speakers up front, a Boston center and Cambridge surrounds.

#44417 - 01/22/03 03:17 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Soundhound:

Thank you. That's a very generous offer. I'm located in Westwood. My email is boblinds@gte.net

Best,
Bob

#44418 - 01/24/03 07:48 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Will Offline
Desperado

I'm returning the old red dot, and keeping my new blue dot 950. Compared to the red dot, the blue dot sounds smoother, less gritty in my system, with more dynamic range and significantly less hiss at lower volumes. It isn't perfect (especially at higher gain levels in my system). But nothing is perfect.

Aside from the hiss, the red dot sounded very good. But I think the blue dot sounds even better. It sounds more "normal" less "special" and exotic.

I have to give The Outlaws credit for being persistent, dogged, not giving up, etc. etc. They evidently believe in the motto "if at first you don't succeed, try try again."

In the end, the Outlaw dudes came through. The new Outlaw sounds better than the earlier Outlaw 950's that I've heard in my home.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited January 26, 2003).]

#44419 - 01/25/03 08:24 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Will Offline
Desperado

Also I want to give credit to is the Outlaws for letting so many average Joe's like me listen to the various generations of the 950 in our homes, for a reasonable period of time. They paid to ship the new models to our homes and to ship the old models back to them so we would have them both at the same time which lets us compare the old and the new models in our home environment.

#44420 - 01/26/03 03:29 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Will- I agree. In fact, I think the Outlaws have a secret plan. I think they are one of a very few number of companies that understand that customer service is invaluable. Every time they make one of us happy, we go out into the world, and pass on our experience...

#44421 - 01/27/03 05:51 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve1173:
[B]Had a new red dot era unit that had a loud buzz on my Klipsch speakers even with the unit in mute. Received my blue dot exchange today & no buzz whatsoever, unit even sounds more dynamic.

Can someone enlighten me on this red dot/ blue dot stuff. I just set up a new 950/755 pair and have major buzzing on all channels.
After a lot of inspecting, I finally connected my old preamp to the 755 and voila - no Buzz !
Is the Blue dot version an improvement of sorts ? Am I supposed to look for a colored dot on the unit some where ?

#44422 - 01/27/03 06:03 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
gonk Offline
Desperado

The red and blue dots are revisions provided to owners who had difficulty with their initial units, and were identified by dots next to the serial number. The blue dot revision was the second (and from all indications) last fix to the problem. All 950's purchased after December 17 include the "blue dot" modifications, but will not have a dot on them. If you have a 950 that you bought on or after 12/17, you may want to give Outlaw a call as you likely either have a defective unit or a ground problem of some sort that they can help you with. If your 950 was from before then, you have the option of returning your unit for modification or getting a replacement unit.

------------------

#44423 - 01/28/03 09:35 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk,
Called them last night. They agreed the unit was defective. My 950 supposedly has the latest set of serial #'s according to a post I read recently. There are no dots next to the #.
Seems there is a real problem with quality control in that Malaysian factory, if all these problems I read are any indication !

While I've got your experienced eye, I'd love to hear your opinion on this conundrum(sorry that it doesn't quite fit this topics subject matter).
What, if any, are the disadvantages of connecting the ICBM between the pro/amp as opposed to between the SACD/DVDA player and processor?
Although my front speakers are large, (200lb behemoths) they will not reproduce effectively below 40hz. All other speakers have relative abilities so I thought i would set everything to "large" and just let the ICBM crossover before the 755.
Also, if i'm grasping that confusing "recombine" switch theory, the fronts will need to go down near the 20hz ballpark to assimilate a subwoofers job in this world? ... yes ?
Any thoughts ?
Kiwi.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts