Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#44382 - 01/15/03 10:08 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: punta gorda, florida, usa
Have to agree about the great sound. Bought mine new when the read dots came out as I thought that was going to be the fix. Got mine & there was a hiss even when on mute. Was skeptical about an exchange because did not want one that was returned scratched up, etc. Well first thing I noticed was when I unpacked my blue dot exchange was there was scratches all around the rear of the unit, was cursing etc, because hell I paid for a new unit originally that was supposed to have the hiss problem fixed. Connected my scratched blue dot & the performance is fantastic, no hiss at any volume or with the mute. Sounds better then my original also. I also have a Parasound AVC2500 which costs 3+x the cost of my 950 & I like the 950 better. Would have liked a brand new unit instead of a scratched up returned rebuilt one though. Could have had mine rebuilt but when speaking with the outlaws who are really fantastic I was told I probably would get a brand new one that was a red dot era unit in the wharehouse with new boards that they really cannot sell for new but it turns out I got someone elses that was returned & someone else will get my original one after it is rebuilt. It sounds great but I know the scratches are there.

#44383 - 01/16/03 12:25 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
Well, my blue dot is in perfect condition...no scratches on the exterior, there are a few light ones on the sat input I DONT CARE. I dont get any of the clicking or popping on mutes yall are talking about, but I only have coax digital running, no optical.

I love the final version. Had to invite some friends over for SIGNS (movie) and it was awesome. THANKS OUTLAWS!!

#44384 - 01/16/03 01:58 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
AJ- Did you try the coax connection?

But obviously even if it is particular to the opt input, still shouldn't do it. Might want to talk to Outlaw and see what they say. (Oh, have you tried a *different* opt input?)

Over the weekend (or sooner; I'm curious now! ), I will *try* an optical connection to see if it's any different on my system.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44385 - 01/16/03 09:59 AM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Yes, I tried both coax and optical inputs - same result.

According to Scott at Outlaw, they all have the muting circuit. According to the users here, the circuit is quiet for some, clicky for others. Not sure why that is. My speakers are only average sensitivity. Either other people are subconsciously ignoring the click, or their circuit operates differently than mine.

If it wasn't for this issue, I would be very pleased. Instead, I am deciding whether or not I can live with this.

#44386 - 01/16/03 03:37 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
AJ- I just tried my opt1. Still no click. I even tried changing the DSP mode from stereo to a 7 channel mode. Still no click. Bug Scott. Maybe he'd let you try another unit just in case there's something peculiar with yours...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44387 - 01/16/03 04:27 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Applejelly - I don't quite know what you mean by a mute clicking noise. I have hit the mute button a few times and I hear no clicking noise. As for the blue dot 950, mine sounds great, looks brand new and I love it. The hiss is very minimal. As far as buzz - I did have one but only after I coiled my wires connecting the amp to the 950. I uncoiled them for that natural "rat's nest" look and the buzz went away. I don't know. Anyway, the Cornwalls have never sounded better. Later.

Don

#44388 - 01/16/03 04:38 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

scubadj,
I am referring to the auto-muting circuit that has now been installed into the 950. It senses when there is no digital signal present and mutes the 950's output. Originally when the 950 had hiss, Outlaw explained this as their design not having a mute circuit (which could degrade sound/peformance), but other manufacturers do this to cover up noise problems. Apparently they decided to be sure no one complained about hiss when nothing was playing, so they added it in.

This has nothing to do with pressing the mute button (but I bet mine clicks then too, but I have not verified that yet). It is an automatic thing for a digital input. Other brands may do this, but since you cannot hear the mute kick in, you don't know it is there. The reason I know it is there, is because I can hear it engage, which happens a lot. Funny thing is, I don't hear the hiss drop after the mute turns on. To me it appears unnecessary.

#44389 - 01/16/03 07:14 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the explanation Applejelly. I guess I've never noticed this before. Or my unit doesn't have this problem. Do you think it's a case of I've never noticed or my 950 doesn't have the click. If I understand you correctly, you make it sound like it's built into the 950 and we should all hear it. Later, Don

#44390 - 01/16/03 07:33 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
charlie Offline
Desperado

With a digital signal the absence of sound is different from the absence of signal, plus it can also be determined with certainty if the data stream is in fact a flatline of if their is a teeny little signal there. Using this fact it is possible to apply a muting circuit when no digital sound is present without fear of muting a quiet musical passage.

It is rumored that the old 950 omitted this 'feature' but the so called 'blue dot' or 'SH fixed' version includes it, apparently as a sort of 'everything but the kitchen sink' attack on noise. I'm assuming Outlaw was tired of fix after refix and at some point pulled out all the stops to kill this issue before their reputation is shot. From all reports the noise IS fixed - but some folks are now finding the muting circuit annoying.

I'm curious - how often does it really get triggered?

#44391 - 01/16/03 08:02 PM Re: Blue Dot Unit = Fantastic
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

I triggers for me when I am watching a DVD and I
1) pause it for more than a second or two
2) REW or FF for more than second or two
3) when the DVD switches titles and there is a break in the bitstream
4) Switching from an active input (say VCR) to a another inactive input (say DVD before you push play)

Pressing the mute button also makes the click /pop sound.

I just want silence to begin and end without the click/pop in the middle. Am I being overly sensitive here and can others just ignore it? or are most of the units out there truly silent when the mute kicks in?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts