Quote:
Originally posted by patman:
I'm getting tired of having to cover up the 950's remote when I want to control a different device without switching to that same device hooked up to the corresponding input on the 950.

This is what drove me to seek an alternative to the 950 remote. Although I haven't reprogrammed the 8811 as extensively as it sounds like you were asking, it should be quite possible. The JP1 and accessory free software pretty much allow you almost endless flexibility to assign functions to keys, so you could assign a number key to control a 950 function that you normally would need to first press AUD for. For example when you're playing a CD you could assign a number (or any other) key to go to 6 channel mode or bypass mode. Then, you don't need to hit the CD device key again to regain control of the CD player, whereas if you do this on the 950 remote you switch back to the direct digital input unless you cover the remote transmitter. It's also easy to create new macros instead of tedious step by step learning.

The MX-500 (about $100) has 10 device keys. The nice thing with this remote is that for each device you have 20 editable labels (on the LCD panel) that you can assign to special functions as you are asking about with the 8811, but since you now can edit the labels, not only you, but anyone else using the remote, can see what the button does.

If you're rolling in dough, the $500 MX-700 is directly computer programmable, so you don't need the JP1 stuff, and it controls up to 20 devices.

I don't know much about it, but the Harmony remote looks pretty interesting for about $250.

[This message has been edited by tofufot (edited January 20, 2003).]