Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44225 - 01/14/03 12:59 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
rjcrum Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California, USA
Put me in the club of people put off by JP1. I just tried downloading the "Keymap master" Excel spreadsheet and the 950 remote codes file from the JP1 Yahoo group. Tried to run the spreadsheet; enabled macros, and got the message that I have to have the "Excel Analysis Toolpak Add in" installed.

Well, I tried everything I could to install that component using the Win 2K control panel but it just won't happen.

So...

I am *really* interested in the discrete codes that you discovered, including the discrete power on and off; are there any other magic discrete codes, Ellen, that you discovered? Like controlling the multi-zone source selection?

Anyway that anybody could take this and turn it into a .ccf or .ncf Pronto or ProntoNeo file and post it in Remote Central?

I'd try more, but it appears that the version of Excel we have installed at the office won't let me install that bloody "analysis toolpak" add in.

#44226 - 01/14/03 04:46 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Quote:

I'd try more, but it appears that the version of Excel we have installed at the office won't let me install that bloody "analysis toolpak" add in.[/B]

Ah yes.. Forgot this nuisance. You'll need your original Microsoft Office (or Excel) installation CD to install the analysis toolpak, and then once it's installed, to make sure it's activated when you start Excel (from the Add-in selection under the Tools menu). The toolpak is not installed with a default installation of Excel. Also, this spreadsheet doesn't work properly on Macs, unfortunately.

If you do break down and go with the Pronto, here's a link to some ccf files for the 950. I can't vouch for them, but the first one from Brett had codes that worked for me when I transposed them to the OFA remote, but then Ellen came to the rescue with a nice keymap master file. I'll have to wait till I get back home to see if I can get the discrete codes to work with manual entry on a URC remote to see if they're worth posting separately.

#44227 - 01/14/03 09:05 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Well I finally got into the Yahoo groups and the JP1 group. When I download from the link I get a txt file for the Outlaw 950. Am I suppose to import this file into Excel or do I have the wrong file? The I need to get the IP.exe program, right?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#44228 - 01/14/03 09:26 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
Well I finally got into the Yahoo groups and the JP1 group. When I download from the link I get a txt file for the Outlaw 950. Am I suppose to import this file into Excel or do I have the wrong file? The I need to get the IP.exe program, right?

OK, I figured it out. First you should get the IR program. It's in the file section of the JP1 group. Then you need to get the KeyMap Master spreadsheet. Then aquire the OutlawPreamp.txt file which you will open with the Spreadsheet macro functions. The spreadsheet will ask you for the location of the ir.exe and of course you will have to have the Outlaw_Preamp.txt file to have something to work with. Then I would go over to Bluedo and pick up a 8811 remote or better yet the MX500 with 8811 package.

I hope this helps.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#44229 - 01/14/03 10:34 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

You got it. Sorry I wasn't more explicit about this stuff, which is explained in the JP1 site and the keymap master readme file. Since there are more buttons with the 8811, you have added flexibility over the Cinema 7+ and can use the spreadsheet to reassign button functions.

With the IR program you can use the computer to set the 'punch through' for volume or channel up and down on the 8811. This is not of any help with the MX-500, but is handy in case anyone in the household prefers the simplicity of the 8811.

I checked just to be sure, but the discrete codes won't work without reprogramming the remote with the 950 keymap master spreadsheet. In effect what you're doing with the JP1 stuff is creating an OEM remote for a new device.

The JP1 site has a new spreadsheet called protocol builder, which I haven't played with, but which looks to be able to give you more flexibility to create remote codes. It also seems to give you enough power to get into a lot of trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

[This message has been edited by tofufot (edited January 14, 2003).]

#44230 - 01/15/03 05:08 AM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
Sorry folks, I've been terribly busy with work the last few days and haven't been keeping up with this thread. If any of you want the Keymap Master file but can't get the toolpak installed, let me know and I can create the 950 text file for the 8811 remote for you (though I think Jim may have one as he uses the 8811).

As to discrete codes, I didn't find anything secret. My understanding is that there are no codes available that are not programmed into the remote. All I did was learn every button on the remote and capture those codes. I simply created from them an upgrade code that can be loaded into any jp1 capable remote.

#44231 - 01/15/03 05:14 AM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
In case I don't get back to this thread soon, if you have a question email me at pudah at yahoo dot com and I'll see what I can do to assist.

#44232 - 01/16/03 04:04 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by tofufot:

With the IR program you can use the computer to set the 'punch through' for volume or channel up and down on the 8811. This is not of any help with the MX-500, but is handy in case anyone in the household prefers the simplicity of the 8811.

Is this because the MX-500 can learn the 950 remote 'punch through' function or because the MX-500 cannot be programmed to do this, or something different?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#44233 - 01/16/03 04:59 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

The MX-500 can be told to punch through volume or channel functions of another device just like the 950 remote. For that matter you can do that on the URC remotes too, but with the computer you can do all the punch throughs in one fell swoop, saving your weary thumbs from all that poking. Not really a big advantage, but really time saving (after the hours spent figuring out how to do it ).
Like I mentioned, the coolest thing with the JP1 is the ability to get those discrete codes such as power-on and power-off, and for my Sony HS10 HDTV, discrete codes for the different video inputs (e.g. video 5 for component input). So, with the ability of the MX-500 to store up to 15 macros (of up to 20 steps each), you should have a lot of flexibility to configure a macro for all of your devices and preferred audio setups.
For the budget minded, the URC8811/JP1 combo ($40) is really flexible and could serve as an acceptable and economical substitute for the 950 remote. It can take care of one peeve several have with the 950 remote: turning on the 950 with the punch of any of the device buttons. Now you can have just one remote that's reasonably intuitive and can be programmed or taught all the codes of pretty much any IR device. The disadvantage with the 8811 is that you can't edit the button labels like you can on the MX-500.

------------------
Home theater: the hobby the whole family can enjoy - whether they want to or not

#44234 - 01/20/03 11:51 AM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
patman Offline
Gunslinger

I'm getting tired of having to cover up the 950's remote when I want to control a different device without switching to that same device hooked up to the corresponding input on the 950.

So, is this possible, using a 8811, I could select different remote devices to emulate without also telling the Outlaw 950 to switch to that input as its remote does (and drives me up the frikkin' wall)?

Could I re-assign the number keys as inputs on the 950 when I pick one the 8811's device buttons as the button for controlling the 950?

Also, is there any remotes that control more than 8 devices? I think I'm up to over 8 now:

TV
DVD1
DVD2
LD
HDTV
PVR1
PVR2
VCR
Prepro

I guess I could take out the VCR remote, and use its remote once in a blue moon.

[This message has been edited by patman (edited January 20, 2003).]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts