Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44205 - 12/13/02 02:53 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally posted by Ellen:
Yes, you can use UEIC/RS remotes with your 950. I created an upgrade code for it using the jp1 interface without too much difficulty. Let me know if you are interested and I can send it to you.

Hey Ellen,
Please email me the upgrade codes. I have an MX-500/OFA8811/JP1 on order. Thanks in advance.
Jim
--------------
Home theater: The hobby the whole family can enjoy....whether they want to or not.

#44206 - 12/13/02 08:59 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
Jim, I'd be happy to do so except you don't have your email addy in your profile.

I also looked high and low for that upgrade code but can't seem to find it. I did find a spreadsheet into which I typed the EFCs gotten by learning all of the 950 remote buttons and examining them in IR. I can send you that and you can build your own upgrade code with the Keymap Master spreadsheet.

Phil, I suppose that you could do the same. If you like your Cinema 7+, I say keep using it. Building an upgrade code is very easy and you wouldn't have to waste all of your learning memory. I ended up returning my 950 but had I kept it, I certainly would have used my RS 15-1994 to operate it and my other a/v equip and not the remote that came with the 950. That has more to do with the fact that I've been using the UEIC remotes forever and am comfy with them than with any shortcomings of the 950 remote.

#44207 - 12/13/02 09:26 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellen:
Jim, I'd be happy to do so except you don't have your email addy in your profile.

Hi Ellen,
Sorry about that. My email address is now visible. Or maybe not. Try jgarbern157294mi@comcast.net. Thanks
Jim

[This message has been edited by tofufot (edited December 13, 2002).]

#44208 - 12/22/02 12:43 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks a bunch.

For anyone else who's lurking, Ellen has just posted an excellent keymaster (of Gozer ?) file over at the jp1 files section of yahoo groups, here .
If you're not registered, and want to tap into the wonderful world of cheap, programmable remotes, do so (the link may not work if you're not registered). There's a wealth of info there, including all the software and hardware instructions.

I'm probably preaching to the perverted, but for the uninitiated (as I was a week ago), jp1 provides a direct PC connection (unfortunately not compatible with Macs) to one for all and radio shack remotes that allows you to easily completely reprogram them, saving memory and lots of remote teaching command by command. Probably the most useful thing is the ability to program hard button 'discrete codes' for your hard earned home entertainment paraphernalia, such as 'power on' and 'power off' - not just toggle the power button - very useful for macros such as system off where you don't want to toggle something on inadvertently. Although I stumbled onto the fact that the 950 uses a lot of the same signals as the 1050 remote and had a working jp1 device set, Ellen's is a much more elegant keymaster sheet than the one I was working on. Ellen's is designed for the Cinema 7 remote, but the beauty of keymaster is that it can easily convert the codes so that they can be used on many other remotes. The One for all 8 device remote (URC8811) is only $25 (about $40 with JP1 cable from Bluedo ). Many use these inexpensive remotes just to teach another remote, such as the hometheater master MX-500 (or even the original 950 remote). You may already have a programmable remote and not even know it, as I did. The Comcast cable box remote is a cheap One for All remote and can be programmed. Just remember to save its default settings in case you need to revert to them before futzing around with it. Then you'll just need the JP1 cable, which is cheap, or easily constructed your own self. Start here to learn about JP1.

By the way, as Ellen also knows, the Outlaw 950 has discrete on (187) and off (181) codes.

I'm working on a modified keymaster file for my URC8811 which will have functions reassigned to the extra buttons that the Cinema 7+ doesn't have, so you don't have to mess with shift-commands. If anyome wants it let me know and I can post it on the jp1 site at yahoo.

------------------
Home theater: the hobby the whole family can enjoy - whether they want to or not

[This message has been edited by tofufot (edited December 22, 2002).]

#44209 - 12/22/02 02:09 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Hamm:
And I can't get macros to work. I program it, it doesn't play back. Confusing.

When Programming a macro, use the mute button instead of the power button. The manual is wrong on page 40. But a note on page 38 correctly defines how to program with the mute button.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#44210 - 12/23/02 12:32 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Thanks, I read that after posting. Now the macros work, but only if I hit "AUD" first. It appears that the macros are different for each device. Kind of cool, because it gives me a lot more macros, but kind of crappy because it means that I have to tell people to hit "AUD" before powering on.

BTW I've spent some time programming the Outlaw remote and so far I'm fairly impressed with it. It is the same Home Theater Master remote that my Sherwood Newcastle 9080 preamp came with, but I never took the time to set that one up, and truth be told, the Sherwood implementation of the remote was not as good as the Outlaw implementation (despite having the LCD). I have a little directions paper in my Home Theater for people to read about how to use the system. The Outlaw seems much easier to use than the old Sherwood was.

I'm hoping to find a OneForAll or Radio Shack remote in my stocking this Christmas.

If I download the JP1 software can I get any of my JP1 remotes (I have two - a Producer8 and an old Radio Shack non-learning 6 device remote with LCD screen that looks like a mini-Producer8) to work with the 950?

#44211 - 12/23/02 12:34 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are two sets of macros -- one set for the top row of inputs (AUD, CD, DVD, and TAPE), and one for the bottom row of inputs (SAT, TV, VCR, CBL). Sneaky, but potentially handy. I set up the TV/cable box on/off macros M1 and M2 on both rows to make it a little more foolproof, but have some other macros that are only on one row or the other.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44212 - 12/23/02 04:49 PM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Hamm:
If I download the JP1 software can I get any of my JP1 remotes (I have two - a Producer8 and an old Radio Shack non-learning 6 device remote with LCD screen that looks like a mini-Producer8) to work with the 950?

Not sure about the RS remote, but I certainly think the Producer8 would work. I know it seems ridiculous, but you should now be able to teach the 950 remote discrete codes for things like poweron and poweroff for not only the 950 itself, but also any of your other components, which often have unadvertised discrete codes. Sony TVs and Panasonic DVDs come to mind. The only thing you'll need is to either make or buy a JP1 cable.

------------------
Home theater: the hobby the whole family can enjoy - whether they want to or not

#44213 - 12/25/02 11:21 AM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
Quote:
I'm hoping to find a OneForAll or Radio Shack remote in my stocking this Christmas.

So Phil, did the fat man in the red suit bring you that OFA remote?

Quote:
Ellen's is a much more elegant keymaster sheet than the one I was working on.

Thanks for the praise Jim! I did rework the upgrade code this morning to what I think is a layout that made more sense. For those following along, I did update the file at the jp1 group with this new version.

#44214 - 12/26/02 11:48 AM Re: One For ALl Cinema 7+ and 950?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
No, no remote under the tree for me this year. That's OK because I'm starting to like the Outlaw remote. Only problem is I need to have my DVD player remote handy for menu functions. Otherwise, for satellite, VCR, LaserDisc, and DVD playing (not menus) it's great. A better implementation than the Sherwood I had before.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts