Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4437 - 11/05/03 10:23 PM Re: harry potter
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
drw, that is a good point, I can connect the DVD player to an unused audio input. However I have to beleive I will lose more listening to PCM than if I listen in 6.1 mode with no center speaker.

I think I can live with the issue. I may even add a 6th speaker. I don't really have a good position for it but at least I will hear whatever is sent to that speaker. I am very interested in seeing how the outlaws wind up handling this issue.

#4438 - 11/06/03 01:09 PM Re: harry potter
Sildog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA
Hi Folks,

I am thinking about buying a 1050. I had a Yamaha HTR5460, which I never liked the sound of and had enough problems with that Yamaha has finally agreed to exchange for an HTR5660 (I don't have it yet, and I am thinking of selling it before I open it!) The new one has 6.1 and supports EX. I, like someone previous, have the "couch against the wall" scenario and I really don't feel like springing for another speaker. I am not that big of an HT guy to feel 6.1 is going to make me happier than 5.1. I spend most time listening to music, but like the 5.1 when I do watch DVDs. Outlaw was recommended and I was excited because it didn't appear I would be paying for a bunch of stuff I didn't need. I was going to get great music and Dolby Digital 5.1, smooth sailing away! Now all this stuff has me freaked! I am unhappy that Yamaha is forcing me into 6.1 with the unit they are sending me. For all I know, I am going to be screwed trying to use it for 5.1 also. Does hooking up a 6th speaker really cure all these problems? If I am forced to get a 6th speaker, it will be stuffed behind the couch where it won't do me any good anyway! These companies that keep upping the "number of speakers" ante must have stock in the speaker companies! Am I really forced to have a 6th just to use any of these new units?

#4439 - 11/15/03 01:55 PM Re: harry potter
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Well, we have our answer. Outlaw is not going to make the 1050 anymore. Thier new receiver will be out mid-2004 I think he said. The king is dead...long live the king.

#4440 - 11/20/03 06:39 PM Re: harry potter
bb80301 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder, CO
Quote:
I really appreciate the level of service that Outlaw provides.

Quote:
This problem with certain DVD's is really no ones fault.

With all due respect to the sponsors & participants of this board, I think that all of you are giving an unwarranted "pass" to Outlaw.

The fact that the 1050 cannot be properly used with MANY DVD's is a problem that they should address -- either by replacement, offering a refund, or whatever. It's a real stretch to blame it on Dolby or on the DVD manufacturers when the 1050 is the only receiver (that I know of) with this problem.

Outlaw is the only manufacturer that I've run into that would stick its customers with this problem. I've consistently received much more satisfactory responses to problems from other manufacturers of consumer products -- even in product categories with much lower margins than Outlaw's.

I, for one, am disappointed with the 1050 defect & (more importantly) Outlaw's CHOICE not to step up to make things right.

Thanks for listening.
BB

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited November 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited November 20, 2003).]

#4441 - 11/20/03 08:26 PM Re: harry potter
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by bb80301:
The fact that the 1050 cannot be properly used with MANY DVD's...

Here's a link to the Dolby website that lists exactly which DVDs include the flag for DD EX.

www.dolby.com/movies/films_previous.html

Out of all the titles out there, it's really not that many. Of course, EX is getting more popular so more DVDs will be released with that encoding, but by then a new Outlaw receiver should be out.

#4442 - 11/21/03 10:28 AM Re: harry potter
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
[QUOTE]
I, for one, am disappointed with the 1050 defect & (more importantly) Outlaw's CHOICE not to step up to make things right.

Does anyone know what has to be done to the 1050 to make it work right? If its not to severe maybe we could split the cost with Outlaw.

#4443 - 11/21/03 11:14 AM Re: harry potter
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
Having worked with mass-market electronics for several years now, I think your expectations are a little much from a piece at this price point. None of the brands I carry at work have attempted to correct their defects of a similar nature in this price bracket. (Sony, Onkyo, Integra, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha). Yet, these guys sell millions of units annually and have huge pockets. Perhaps one should take a minute and realize that as with all digital technologies, things are prone to change very rapidly. These are unfortunate circumstances and although they are irritating, comparing the number of titles on which the conflicting surround tag exists, to the number of titles where the 1050's sound quality will knock the socks off of anything in its price class seems to lend itself to a nod towards the 1050.

#4444 - 11/23/03 03:27 AM Re: harry potter
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Embries: What other vendors equipment is having this problem? I know my cousins 5 year old Yamaha certainly isn't. I tried searching google for any hint of a problem but couldn't find a single example (other than posts about Onkyo on this board). I also checked other boards like home theater spot and came up empty.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#4445 - 11/23/03 10:59 AM Re: harry potter
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
There are other designs for pre/pros that have used a similar decoding chip and are having the same problem. I know that Onkyos this year are having issues decoding some movies, there are sound dropouts, and format oscillations. Similarly the JVC units will not process 6.1 even though it's clearly stated on the front of the unit.

#4446 - 11/28/03 03:46 PM Re: harry potter
ben9999 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just ran into the audio dropouts problem this morning (TTT extended edition). I am, suffice it to say, less than happy.

I have to agree with some of the complaints on this thread. While it may well not be Outlaw's "fault" that this problem exists, it certainly isn't my "fault" that I have to upgrade a product that I bought less than six months ago, which was then being advertised as up-to-date.

This is especially true since I have alreadly had to send one 1050 back due to an unrelated problem. But I was quite happy with the way Outlaw addressed that issue, which built a lot of credibility with me. I think this is a good company dealing with a bad situation. But it is unsurprising that recent 1050 purchasers like myself are a bit bitter.

I will say that I think the trade-in offer they have on the 1050 is an exceptionally good deal for anyone who has had the unit for a while -- but for someone like me, who has had the 1050 for only a few months, I'm still going to be worse off to the tune of a few hundred bucks. I'm considering doing it anyway, because I liked the 1050 a lot. Not a good situation though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts