Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44163 - 12/18/02 07:17 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Does it say really, really good stuff about the 950???
merc\'s primary system

#44164 - 12/18/02 07:56 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Anybody know when this issue will be available on the magazine rack?

#44165 - 12/18/02 08:19 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
The reviewer comments are very positive. He also pairs the 950 with the 770 and compares it to his reference Balanced Audio Technology amplifier. He mentions "when paired with my reference BAT VK-6200 the sound was warm, a bit laid-back, relatively spacious, decent if not super-detailed with pleasant overall balance" "If you audition the 950 at home, make certain that the bypass switch is engaged." "The differences in presence, tonal and textural makeup, image focus and dynamic contrast are quite large when compared to the digitally processed sound" "My reservation concerns a discrepancy in the transitional area from the upper midrange to the high frequencies, where I noted a consistent, if not gross, edginess. "Keep in mind that this was with Martin Logan's very revealing Aeon speakers" "It was immediately evident that the edginess I noticed with the Model 950 vanished when it was teamed with the Outlaw Model 770." Whether this was due to product synergy, the BAT amp's higher resolution or both, I can't say. But when you consider that manufacturers typically design pieces of their gear to be used together, it makes sense that the two Outlaw items would blossom in each other's company. I didn't just hear a smoother upper range with the Outlaw pair, but tighter focus, a greater sense of dynamic ebb and flow, and a more expressive, and hence involving, presentation. With these outlaws, the widest dynamics are not as dramatically renedered as they are with the very best, but they remain far better than I've heard with comparably priced separates and A/V receivers"

This is just a few issues I pulled from the article. I'll be interested in everyone's comments surrounding the reviewers preference for bypass mode vs. digital. Seems to me it is more an issue of the reviewers reference CD players (Arcam DVD player, BAT vkd5 CD player) having better DAC's than the Outlaw. When you use optical in, the Outlaw DAC's do the work, when you use bypass, the players DAC's do the work, right??

#44166 - 12/18/02 10:54 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
harp...

"When you use optical in, the Outlaw DAC's do the work, when you use bypass, the players DAC's do the work, right??"

I would tend to agree. Logically, that sounds correct. Thanks for typing some of it out. Sounds like the combo comes highly recommended indeed This will make waiting a couple weeks even harder though..hahaha

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#44167 - 12/18/02 11:08 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You are correct about the analog bypass vs. digital input. Considering the sticker on his reference sources, it would make sense for him to go ahead and use the expensive DACs that he paid for. Personally, I tried my player both ways and settled on digital connection, but my Yamaha CD changer isn't really in the same league as a BAT player.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44168 - 12/19/02 08:19 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
I came to the same conclusion with my Toshiba SD-4700 DVD/CD/DVD-Audio player. Even though the Toshiba has 24/192 DAC's, the digital connection sounded better to me. When I use the analog out for DVD-audio, the analog connections sound much better than the (downrezed)digital connection.

I'm still trying to decide whether to change from my Parasound amp to the Outlaw 755. Decisions, Decisions.

#44169 - 12/19/02 09:56 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Parasound amps kick ass..which do you have? My friend has the HCA-1205A and wow does it kick some serious ass.

I was comtemplating on getting the HCA-2205AT but it doesnt have 7 channels

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#44170 - 12/19/02 11:57 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
I havent heard the Outlaw, but am familar with the Parasound, a nice sounding mellow amp and a good value as well. But, if the Outlaw is made, as I have heard, by ATI,and sound as good as ATI, I would, without hesitation, take this in a heartbeat. ATI makes a quality amp that has been compared to the workmanship of a Proceed amp. It has an incredible soundstage and great detail; it is borderline bright. So, with some speakers , it may not be your best chose. In which case, a Parasound would do better for you. But, if you dont have bright speakers and Outlaw has that same sound quality that ATI delivers, I would go with Outlaw. An audition would be good to compare!!

#44171 - 12/19/02 02:18 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Regarding that borderline bright amp -- The 950 pre/pro is also borderline bright. Some people say that means the 950 is "very accurate." But nobody is saying the 950 pre/pro is borderline mellow or borderline warm.

#44172 - 12/20/02 08:52 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I guess TPV didn't experience the "hiss" issue...

Anyone know if that issue is on newstands yet?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts