Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 19 of 27 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27 >
Topic Options
#43989 - 12/30/02 03:53 PM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I agree. I stopped buying Sony products about 3 years ago because of their sh*tty customer service.

The *price* of the 950 might be only $899, but the customer service that Outlaw puts forth is indicative of a price much higher than that (if that makes sense).

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43990 - 12/30/02 04:50 PM Re: Problem Solved
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I agree. I stopped buying Sony products about 3 years ago because of their sh*tty customer service.
The *price* of the 950 might be only $899, but the customer service that Outlaw puts forth is indicative of a price much higher than that (if that makes sense).

"if that makes sense" - I have no sense I keep handing them (Sony) wads of cash. KNOWING that I was going to have problems with some of these purchases and NO customer support. So I rarely post any of my scale-rated satisfaction over that badge. I feel they don’t earn it, deserve it, or fight to keep it. In other words I reciprocate, giving them as little attention as they give me after the purchase.

I don’t think I ever posted in-house. Outlaw sends medical supplies when needed, what a company!

#43991 - 12/30/02 06:46 PM Re: Problem Solved
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
I informed Outlaw via email about the hissing I get with my system and got a scripted email. What exactly is Outlaw doing for the people with hissing problems?

#43992 - 12/30/02 06:49 PM Re: Problem Solved
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I don't know how it works Zak, I called them before my 30 days was up, and they put me on a list. That was a few months ago.

#43993 - 12/31/02 12:29 AM Re: Problem Solved
HTLearner Offline
Gunslinger

Fellow Outlaws,

I have received one of the "new-new" hiss-fixed units, and I am very satisfied with the level of quiet "in my system."

In summary, it is everything I had hoped the original 950 would be. Crisp, clean and hiss only audible from right next to the speaker. This compares with audible hiss from 10 feet away (!) with my original 950.

I've been listening to and enjoying the new 950 for a few days and just calibrated it today. Outlaw promised me they would not give up on me, and they kept their word. Pretty decent of them

Now if the Outlaws could just send someone out to my house to help me set up the bass management once and for all I spent 2 hours today with a sound meter and Avia DVD test tones trying to get the transition from subwoofer to mains perfect, phase right etc. In the end, there were peaks and valleys no matter what settings I chose. Phase, sub volume, variable crossover points, large vs small mains, bleach! So I just tried to minimize the variance. There must be a better way to do this.

-HTLearner

#43994 - 12/31/02 02:39 AM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

HTL- That's what a parametric eq is for.

(Smoothes the room-induced peaks in a sub's reponse. Behringer, Rane, Symetrix all make 'em. I have a Behringer DSP1124p. Really cheap, and really flexible.)

Phase is easy. I've found using a discrete test tone disc is the easiest way. www.stryke.com

Set up all the BM the way it should be. Then play tones at or near the crossover freq. Adjust your sub's phase adjustment (when a switch, or a knob) until the output is the loudest at your listening position.

I've tried the Avia test signals for phase, and I still believe that discrete test tones are easier to use (with a sound level meter of course).

#43995 - 12/31/02 09:01 AM Re: Problem Solved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zakman:
I informed Outlaw via email about the hissing I get with my system and got a scripted email. What exactly is Outlaw doing for the people with hissing problems?

I don't have the e-mail with me at work right now, but I received an e-mail late last week that I suspect either went or is going to all 950 owners, regardless of whether they have complained of hiss or not (assumption based on the fact that I received the e-mail but never reported a hiss problem, although I did get a test unit from the "red dot" revision). Outlaw is giving all 950 owners who have a hiss problem the option of returning their unit for modification (which will leave you pre/pro-less for a time) or receiving a replacement unit (which will be a "refurb" unit, I believe) and then returning your current unit. Is that the scripted e-mail you received, or did you get the automated "we have received your message and will get back to you shortly" message (which is automaatically sent any time you send a message to the info@outlawaudio.com address)? If you didn't get that message, I would expect that you will get it or a direct response from Scott or Mike saying the same thing soon. Either way, it sounds like they plan to get the replacements shipped out by mid-January; I would expect it to take longer for units shipped in for modification.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43996 - 12/31/02 11:56 AM Re: Problem Solved
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
I am one of the "silent" minority that has a hiss problem. I reported it and was asked to send in more information. Today, I got an e-mail confirming that a "blue-dot" 950 is on it's way to my place via FEDEX and I am to return my old one with the supplied, pre-paid shipping label. Customer support has been great!

#43997 - 12/31/02 04:59 PM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Somehow, I just don't see even a company like Rotel *swapping* out units, and then even letting the customer have 2 units in his/her possession without taking the 1st back in return 1st. Hee, hee. Seriously, that's a lot of capital cost the Outlaws are eating (short term) to make its customers happy.

#43998 - 12/31/02 05:57 PM Re: Problem Solved
Dawg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas
I had a "red dot" unit with hiss problem. I had the unit for over 30 days and they gave me option of keeping until a fix was developed or returning for a refund. I returned for refund with no problems. I'm currently back to using my Yamaha receiver. Outlaw has been an OUTSTANDING company and I will not have any reservations about purchasing any of their products. I'm tempted to try the latest fixed version....nothing else on the market that can match the 950 for price.

Page 19 of 27 < 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM