Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 18 of 27 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27 >
Topic Options
#43979 - 12/25/02 10:11 PM Re: Problem Solved
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:
The new 950 is the only revision (unless I'm mistaken) that uses entirely new op-amps in some key stages. The parts have been massively upgraded to ones generally used in pro-audio equipment. This will make a difference in the sound, for the better.

The difference in the sound in the new and improved 950's compared to the earlier 950's is indeed, something to look forward to!

#43980 - 12/25/02 11:05 PM Re: Problem Solved
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
WIll:

The fix is mainly a remedy for the hiss - don't get too worked up over a change in the sound, it's not _that_ big of a difference. The difference in the level in hiss _IS_ a big deal however.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 25, 2002).]

#43981 - 12/25/02 11:46 PM Re: Problem Solved
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
As you say, the sound difference probably won't be huge, except for there being less hiss. But as you also say, there should be some (perhaps slight) improvement in the sound for the better. And the new 950 has upgraded parts. And the measured S/N is improved.

While the hiss reduction is the main improvement, those other "incidental" improvements were probably made by Outlaw in order to get the hiss reduction.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing it!

[This message has been edited by Will (edited December 26, 2002).]

#43982 - 12/28/02 03:26 AM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
To hiss or not to hiss, that is the question...

I got my new one. 02-0212... serial number batch.

Quick observations:

1) The hiss is much better. About 1/4 reduced from my "rev 2" unit (01-0208... s/n). My rear center: 4 ft to about 1 ft, the rest: 2 ft to about 6 inches. Still not as good as the Sony TA-E9000ES I had. Like SH mentioned before, less of a "hiss" too and more of a "shshshsh".

Another sub-data point. I just switched from 2 Acurus A200x3 amps (6.1) to 1 A200 plus 1 A200x5. The hiss from the 950 stayed exactly the same on my old unit. So at least it was consistent from Acurus amp to Acurus amp.

2) My hiss is still not volume dependent until I get to 00 to +10 dB. No change from say -77 to -5 dB. (Analog input.)

3) The quirk that my unit had, is not there in the new one. While playing a CD, switch DSP modes, my old 950 would lose the lock never to regain it unless I pause or stopped and restarted the DVD player. On the new one, works the way it is supposed. (Loses the lock for a sec or so, then comes back on its own.)

4) I did not reference levels, but I took into account the -8 dB difference between this one and the old one. But like I said, the hiss doesn't change with volume anyway.

5) With this one, I noticed a metallic smell coming out of the air vents on the top when I fired it up. Will have to see if any of the sound/hiss characteristics change once the smell goes away. (About 45 min since 1st turning it on, and it's still there.)

6) This 950 still loses signal on Pearl Jam's Riot Act, in between tracks 8 and 9, and about a min into track 8 when the music dies down, and then starts up again. Bummer. I had hoped that that would have been accidentally fixed... (Happened on Pioneer's 45a and 47ai players.)

7) Does have the "active" mute for at least CD sources. Not there for analog inputs.

So all in all, a keeper. I have to admit, I had higher expectations based on what SH and Obie said, but "bad boys bad boys, what you gonna do?"

My internal measure was: if say the hiss hadn't been improved from my old unit, I would have moved over/up to the B&K Ref 50 within 3 months. But with the latest 950, I will have the it in my system a nice, long time.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43983 - 12/28/02 11:03 PM Re: Problem Solved
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Kevin: Did Outlaw do anything to fix the 5.1 double bass problem/feature?
merc\'s primary system

#43984 - 12/29/02 03:36 AM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

I doubt it, seeing as the signal lock issue hasn't been addressed, and Rotel hasn't even fixed it yet, and I know that Rotel owners are complaining more about this to Rotel than Outlaw owners are complaining about hiss to Outlaw, if that makes sense.

If I get a chance to test it, I'll let you know (I use the 80 Hz analog crossover anyway). Maybe SH or Obie could get to it before I do...

#43985 - 12/29/02 04:55 AM Re: Problem Solved
dmeister Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
I doubt it, seeing as the signal lock issue hasn't been addressed...

What's the signal lock issue?

#43986 - 12/29/02 06:43 AM Re: Problem Solved
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Kevin:

The hiss does indeed get lower below "00" on the volume control and starts to level off to about -90db (full bandwidth) at an indicated volume of approximately -15db or so. If it were otherwise, no hiss reduction would be evident by reducing the main volume from "00" to "-08". The trims also will reduce hiss if lowered below "0". You are correct that the hiss does increase more obviously from "00" to "+10". The lack of hiss reduction below "00" you are hearing is undoubtedly the result of an interaction from your particular speaker/amp/room combination.

Did you hear any particular change in the sound of the new 950 compared to the old one?

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 29, 2002).]

#43987 - 12/29/02 06:14 PM Re: Problem Solved
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

dmeister- Read my #6 above.

SH, OK that makes sense. The new one *is* quieter than the prototype. On the prototype, it improved the "hiss at a distance" by 2/3's (on the front L & R channels, even hooked up through my rear center speaker) from my original unit. On the latest one, I get about a 3/4's improvement.

#43988 - 12/30/02 02:57 PM Re: Problem Solved
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
OK, so I have Klipsch speakers and a Parasound amp to go with my 950. I also have the hiss. When the issue came up in the forum, I let you know that I was able to greatly reduce the hiss by turning the gain pots on my amp down. Unfortunately, this meant playing the 950 at +10 with the trims set near 0, or raising the trims to +10 and running the main volume at about 00. This is a good thing in a way because it prevents my 4 and 5 year olds from turning it up too high. On the other hand, it doesn't allow headroom for material recorded at lower levels. Although my problem wasn't due to high efficiency speakers (my Klipschs are 90-92db efficient), Mike has told me the latest fix will stop the hiss I am getting. Mine was sent on the 27th via UPS ground, and will be here next week.

I just wanted to let you all know what a class act this company is. If you have ever owned a defective Sony or Denon product, you will really appreciate the way this company supports its customers and backs their product.

Page 18 of 27 < 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM