Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4375 - 10/09/03 09:13 PM XM Radio Hook up
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I have connected my XM Radio to the Aux Input of my Outlaw receiver with RCA cables and it works fine, so I thought I would get a digital cable. One end to the XM radio is Mini plug, the other end to my Outlaw Receiver is a Optical Connector but I could not get any sound, even though I tried the digital selector switch. Below is the Monster cable I am trying to connect. any suggestions on why this is not working??

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/audio_cables/digital_interconnects_tm.asp

#4376 - 10/09/03 10:28 PM Re: XM Radio Hook up
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Hard to say with out a manual or model for the tuner, Is it actually a digital output ? If so, perhaps you have to select or enable the digital -vs- the RCA output on the tuner much like selecting the correct digital input source on the 1050.
Are you toggling through the digital input selections when you are using Aux input on the 1050.

#4377 - 11/12/03 02:57 AM Re: XM Radio Hook up
Audiopoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi-FI

If I understand you correctly. You are trying to hook an analog sorce (the 1/8" mini plug from your XM) to an optical in on the receiver... with a toslink optical cable.

This is not possible. The opical cable will no way transfer or hook up to an analog source directly. Optical cables transfer digital information with light pulses. The XM mini plug output does not work in this way. You may be able to jam the end of the optical cable into the 1/8" (miniplug) port in the XM but you are not making a proper connection. (Unless you are using a XM PCR with your computer. The PCR does have an optical output.)

You would need an analog to digital converter between your XM and the Outlaw. to make it work.

You may be best off with the RCA connection. Although, some people have converted their XM Skyfi's to have a digital output but it takes a bit of know-how. Check out www.xmfan.com

Hopefully I'm understanding what you were doing and my reply was of help...

#4378 - 11/12/03 03:10 AM Re: XM Radio Hook up
Audiopoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Follow up to my last reply:

I see now how you were confused. I looked at the link for the cable you purchased. Honest mistake!

It is an optical cable with a standard toslink at one end and a mini-optical plug at the other. The mini-optical is meant to be used with a portable mini-disk player or somthing of that nature.

The mini-optical is not the same as the analog 1/8" mini plug on the XM.

You might want to return the cable and get you money back.

#4379 - 11/14/03 10:24 AM Re: XM Radio Hook up
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Hey thanks for the reply, I see now the new XM Radio has optical out, just my luck, I just bought the damn thing..

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts