Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43741 - 01/06/03 08:15 PM Standardizing volume across different inputs
dblloyd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
Quick quesiton about something that I've found a little annoying: When I listen to my CD player, I typically set the 950's volume at -20db or so. When I use the 950 for TV, I need to set the volume at 0db, and then I use my TV's remote like normal (I have a RPTV and like to use the remote that came with it since it allows easier access to different menus, etc.).

The fact that I need very different volume settings on the 950 for different input devices causes two problems:

1) It's annoying to always have to set the volume for the particuar input I'm selecting.

2) Once in a while I'll forget to adjust the volume and, for example, switch from "TV mode" (0db) to a playing CD, and it wakes everyone up.

Is there a way to:

A) Trim the volume for each different input so that it standardizes to a particular level?

or nearly as good:

B) Set the initial volume for each particular input so that when you switch from one source to an another it automatically switches the 950 to that initial volume?

How do you folks handle this issue?

#43742 - 01/06/03 08:21 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There's no individual input level control for the various inputs. Using the digital inputs whenever possible might equalize the levels somewhat, but going from or between analog inputs puts you at the mercy of the output level of the individual source components. I just put up with it, and try to anticipate the sources that are overly loud.

#43743 - 01/06/03 08:48 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
If the remote was a little bit more user friendly, you could maybe set up macros for when you switch, but I know you can't dial in an "absolute" volume setting, but you could try say 20 down volume arrow clicks followed by the source switch for a macro, but I still don't think that's programmable...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43744 - 01/06/03 08:48 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
dblloyd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

That would be my feedback to Outlaw then: Allow the ability to trim the volume for different inputs.

Love the 950, though.

#43745 - 01/08/03 06:18 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The 950 is great, but far too many settings on it are global not local. Hopefully the next Outlaw pre/pro will have some local settings.

And it's too cumbersome on the 950 to trim the bass level. I always have to do this when switching from DD to DTS DVD's, and usually, when switching from CDs to DVDs.

#43746 - 01/08/03 07:15 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
charlie Offline
Desperado

It's got a lot wrong with it, but at $900 it's got a lot right with it too.... great value IMO.

#43747 - 01/08/03 08:20 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
And it's too cumbersome on the 950 to trim the bass level.

I do it in less than 5 seconds. Doesn’t feel too cumbersome to me. Even though the remote does not have a dedicated Bass button. I don’t think I could get it done much faster than that. Maybe my fingers are limber-er than some?!

#43748 - 01/08/03 09:45 PM Re: Standardizing volume across different inputs
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
With the 950, it takes about 8 button clicks on the remote to get to where you need to be to START to trim the bass level. Every click has to get to the 950 or else you'll actually change something other than the bass level by accident. Or alternatively you can use the remote's macro feature. But even so, each click has to get to the 950 and the macro sequences take a lot of time to sequence, and macro leaves itself in a state where you can't subsequently change the trim level unless you clicked the AUD button before the macro click.

The unit I had before my 950 has a one button click on the remote to trim the bass level.

The 950's strong suit isn't its user interface.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited January 09, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts