Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43696 - 12/30/02 03:32 PM Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
Scubadiver Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
I am interested in a 950... Looks like a lot of bang for the buck.... I have a quick question:

Will the 950 "upconvert" video signals to component? In otherwords, if I hook the component video output from the 950 to my TV, can I use composite and S-video equipment sources without having to connect a composite or s-video cable to my TV?

Obviously, I'm not expecting the 950 to "convert" composite or s-video signals to component quality, I just want it to "pass-thru" the signal from the composite/s-video ports to the component...

#43697 - 12/30/02 03:46 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
nope. but still an incredible pre/pro.

#43698 - 12/30/02 04:47 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
My new unit came with an additional piece of paper placed in the manual stating that they recommend making direct connections instead of going through the 950. I would have liked to at least seen the OSD come through the component video for viewing while watching DVD's or satelite but that doesn't happen either. I am running my digital cables S video through the 950 as well as directly to the monitor and when switching between the two I can see no noticable difference.

#43699 - 12/30/02 06:21 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It would be nice to have upconverting to component. It is available on a few receivers (Denon 5803 and Pioneer 49TX), but it's expensive. OSD on component would also be handy, but you won't find an OSD on component video from any receiver or pre/pro under $5k (or more) -- too much video bandwidth and signal data to sync and process, so all they can do is switch, and the only one I know of that does do it (Lexicon MC12? Can't remember) did it by replacing the video feed with a blue screen.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43700 - 12/30/02 06:27 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
Scubadiver Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
FYI - According to Denon's website, the 3803 and 4803 can perform this function as well...

#43701 - 01/02/03 12:05 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I would have no problem with it overlaying only in 480i and blue screening if the signal is in another mode... It would be a heck of a lot better than nothing.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#43702 - 01/02/03 02:41 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
My new unit came with an additional piece of paper placed in the manual stating that they recommend making direct connections instead of going through the 950. I would have liked to at least seen the OSD come through the component video for viewing while watching DVD's or satelite but that doesn't happen either. I am running my digital cables S video through the 950 as well as directly to the monitor and when switching between the two I can see no noticable difference.

Here are the instructions that come with the 950:
A Note From the Outlaws

Thank you for your purchase...

On the top right column of page 20 in the Model 950 Owner's Manual, we discuss its ability to convert composite video signals to S-Video. While this feature is available, we recommend that whenever possible you always make direct connections between your video sources, the Model 950 and your video display. When composite (standard) video sources are converted to S-Video the resulting picture is of low quality. Should conversion be required, the S-Video to composite circuits are also available, but again, "native" video connections (such as composite in and composite out), will always produce superior quality images.

I think this means it's ok to use component switching, although there is some debate as to bandwidth.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited January 02, 2003).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#43703 - 01/02/03 03:31 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
OK, that note relates solely to the video switching's ability to convert between S-Video and composite -- not the component switching, or the "native" (S-video to S-video or composite to composite) switching. Some early 950's had some strange video artifacts on the S-Video switching, and in eliminating it they modified the S-video/composite conversion. It still works (although on at least one test unit they outright removed it), but they were not able to achieve the desired level of performance in the composite-to-S-video conversion process, so they added that slip letting folks know that the feature was still there but that some people might notice some signal degradation.

I'm lucky in that my VCR is a Super-VHS unit and my digital cable box has an S-Video out, so I've never tested the composite-to-S conversion to see how it looks.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43704 - 01/03/03 09:17 PM Re: Will a 950 "upconvert" video signals?
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
The composite tp Svid upconversion looks bad.

It adds a diagonal grid noise pattern that is apparent on a standard def 36" TV.

Made me go out and buy an SVHS VCR tp get rid of it. Whicch was nicce, as this improved the look of VHS substantially, and got rid of my last composite source. Mine is one of the first post beta 950's. but I am not aware of any improvement in later units.

Adding OSD to component feeds is generally avoided as it contaminates the signal (unless the Lexicon method is used), and since you're using component inn the first place, it is assumed you are after top image quality.

BB

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM