Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#43545 - 11/08/02 01:07 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"(Class A is said to be smoother output)". Same with "said" here, shouldnt it be is or isnt?? Mays ans saids are xactly what I've been spewing round here all along, cause all I can do is listen. As a numbers guy the "measurements", etc, I guess I just dont understand all of em. My ears though, they know.

#43546 - 11/08/02 01:21 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"Voodio" - and no, I really can't spell:>

#43547 - 11/08/02 01:24 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I talked at great length with Peter at Outlaw yesterday regarding the hiss issues with the 950. We actually got into some extremely technical issues regarding what is going on inside the unit, down to the component level. He explained to me what they have been doing to address the hiss issue, and I have to say that I am quite satisfied that they are indeed taking some definitive steps to make sure the problem is fixed once and for all.

I appreciate his openness in discussing the real 'nuts and bolts' problems with the 950, and I think that the units that will be forthcoming will meet the unit's original promise.

I can't divulge any timetable, but help is indeed on the way.

PS: Bill Gates has _not_ used his "Brain Assimilator" on me to make me say these things.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 08, 2002).]

#43548 - 11/08/02 02:15 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
charlie Offline
Desperado

I understand the importance of an NDA when talking about proposed or planned solutions, but after the fix can you divulge the culprit and solution?

Also, any info on what options existing owners would have available to them?

#43549 - 11/08/02 02:24 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Charlie:

All I can say for existing owners, is to talk to Outlaw about this.

I don't think it would be wise to really get into exactly what is being done, now or later. Let's just say that they are more or less doing what _I_ would to, if I were called upon to find a fix for the problem. I am satisfied with that.

#43550 - 11/08/02 02:57 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Norman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Great Falls, VA
SLL, while I realize you have a different display unit, I'm still interested to hear which brand of component cables gave you the best image.

#43551 - 11/08/02 04:06 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Norman, I'll look up my receipts to confirm. The original set were Monster’s. They came in dead last.
Then 2 sets I purchased were (I think) Better Cables? and the less expensive of these two won out. The monster’s had noticeably less detail and affected my ‘red’ the most. The mid priced set of the BC's? beat out the more expensive step-up by the same manufacture.
The difference between the 2 BC’s was most noticeable in how the 'reds were displayed, as the detail passed appeared not dissimilar. When calibrating this Display (Sony 60” LCD) it was easier to toe the red in with the mid-priced set. The higher priced cable almost created a ‘bloom’ in the reds

#43552 - 11/11/02 09:52 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Norman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Great Falls, VA
Thanks, Lena. Interesting. I currently have the Monsters, entirely because they were incorrectly priced in the store at $16. I've ordered component cables from Dayton / Partes Express. Be interesting to see if there is any visual difference although I hypothesize that projection is more sensitive than conventional CRT.

#43553 - 11/11/02 11:30 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Norman, I found some paperwork which was incomplete. The Monsters were the Video 2 line for HDTV etc. The other two sets were 'Straight Wire'. Unfortunatly the receipts show the store number for them not the line names. I do know they had 3 Straight Wire choices on the board. A good/better/best.

I'm pretty sure that I bought the better/best and left the 'betters' on. Will check the interconnect the next time I'm behind the display. Just wanted to let you know I told you the wrong brand.

I would have purchased Outlaws, (I really like their interconnects) But I was purchasing the display and hooking it up for a Birthday present (for the husband) on one day. And although Outlaw is VERY fast on delivery. I did not think I could get them in 3 hours!
Edited to explain: I had the monsters in house when I purchased the display, but had recently develeped a bias against the entire Monster line. All of us (I believe) have various Monsters around because so many local retails carry that line only. Every time I have replaced a Monster (audio or visual), - I've felt their was noticable improvement to my system. So when I purchased the 'nice' LCD. I left the store with 2 choices to try, since I felt I would see an improvement over the Monsters.

I agree, the larger and LCD based could be more sensitive. (forgive did not spellck!)

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited November 11, 2002).]

#43554 - 11/20/02 01:11 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
marc seals Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Anchorage, AK, USA
Lena
I too am using Straightwire component cables. I use the silver ones...whatever they are called? They replaced a set of low end Tributaires which in turn replaced a cheap set of Monster's. Definite improvements on each consecutive upgrade. And yes I did demo each cable before buying with a friend doing the plugging and unplugging Each upgrade yielded slight but still definite improvements in picture quality.

Anyway glad to see that you had a positive experience on the upgrade path

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts