Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#43525 - 09/30/02 11:58 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
ews Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: akron, ohio usa
everett: thanks for the suggestion. I am in the process of adding two NHT SB-1 speakers for my 7.1 setup and Gladiator will be the first dvd to be viewed. But so far I have watched a few fav, Die Hard 2, Castaway, Chicken Run and now I am making a Christmas list of DTS dvds as suggestions for my family to ask Santa to bring me to replace the DD ones I already have. I love this unit.

#43526 - 10/11/02 03:01 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I've mentioned the small problem with hiss that I have in other threads, and my comments about the ergonomically challenged remote (IMO). Figured I'd put a positive comment about sound quality somewhere.

Listening to the remixed disc of the 2-CD remastered Machine Head by Deep Purple tonight. Not "critical" listening, just relaxin' at the end of the day with some good tunes, reading the newspaper. Highway Star power ups (if you're familiar with how the song begins), and all of the sudden, I hear a clicking noise coming predominantly out of my right speaker. I'm thinking, Jeez, is my DVD player skipping? Is the 950 skipping? I listen some more, and discover that the "clicking" is the actual sound of the drum stick as it hits that "step" cymbal. (You know, the cymbal that you also control with your foot. "Hi hat" ?) Not the cymbal crash itself, but the drum stick *hitting* the cymbal. I was really amazed. A 30 year recording, and I could hear that amount of detail. I was smiling.

I don't know, maybe the 5th or 6th time I've listened to this disc. Never noticed the clicking with my prior setup: Sony TA-E9000ES + Pioneer DV-05. But heard this time with the 950 and the 45a.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43527 - 10/13/02 10:18 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pauls:
I hear so much about the wait and sending back the models. My question is does anyone have one setup and is enjoying it? Let me Know. Thanks

I've had mine since late April, early May. Love it. Have never even considered returning it.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#43528 - 10/14/02 01:02 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Its good to see you back Pat. I realize you have been busy but it doesn't seem like the Outlaw forum without you and Gonk posting regularly. So are you enjoying the Les Miserables Concert CD with your 950?

#43529 - 10/14/02 11:38 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
surroundophile Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, Il. USA
kevincbrown:
TWO cd set? Why are there two cds for a one cd album? I haven't seen this one. You sould get the multichannel DVD-A version!

On the original topic, I am VERY happy with the 950, no hiss, great sound, even the tuner is pretty good!

#43530 - 10/14/02 03:54 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
SOP- It's the remastered Machine Head. I have an import from the UK, although I believe that Rhino offers it in the states now.

One disc is simply a remaster of the album we all know and love.

The 2nd disc, is remixed. Different guitar solos, song beginings, and endings, drum parts, etc, on a lot of the tracks. It's like hearing the lp again for the very 1st time

The lack of the remixes is exactly why I passed on the DVD-A version...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43531 - 10/14/02 10:05 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
ews Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: akron, ohio usa
Just had to drop in an update. I think the 950 is just great. I am glad I waited and checked around and read up on the available units while I was getting ready to upgrade. After adding the 950, then my two new NHT SB-1 surrounds and my new B&K amplifier, my dream ( Ihave been working on this since 1993) room is complete (maybe for now) I have viewed Blade II and The Haunting in a double feature and I have never heard sound fields as awesome as those. I am glad there are so many knowledgable people on these sights who have helped me figure out what i needed to do to make everything work out. Just as a side note, I found a Godzilla, Mothra and Ghidrah beanie baby set at a flea market over the weekend and they now proudly on display in my theater. Sometimes it really is the little things that count. (now i just need to buy DTS versions of Saving Private Ryan, umm...Jurassic Park and the Lost World and...) it never ends, does it?

#43532 - 10/20/02 10:02 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Joe Le Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose
I'm a happy owner of model 950, Got it 6 months ago,I did not experience about the hissing problem (lucky me)Gladiator and Blade II sound great in DTS es, I had about 10 DVD-audio and I enjoin everyone of them,I have been re-listening all my collection CDs in bypass 2 channel mode in last couple month
my SET Zen amp has a chance to take a short breaktime....My moderate system includes Pre-amp 950 (upgrade from Denon 3801 as the pre) ATI 1505 Amp, NHT vt2.4 for front, NHT AC2 for center, VS 2.4 for all surround sound, Velodyne FSR 18 sub,Video source from DVD JVC D-723 and Pioneer SD 643 HD5 rear projector, both got from...Costco.Anyone has the same Amp and speakers to use with 950 please share the experience.I will put a full review for 950 on Audio review website soon

#43533 - 10/20/02 11:25 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Glade to hear about Blade 2. Its on my list of DTS-ES choices. I agree the DTS version of THE HAUNTING is awesome. Not too crazy about the movie, but it is a beautiful transfer and sound is as good as it gets. Its the one, I think, definitive illustrations of the less compressed signals that DTS offers. I wasnt convinced that DTS was superior in the bass region, as I have compared a few before, but, The Haunting, changed all that. It gave my M&K a real workout as all my door jams were rattling like never before. I do have a suggestion for a great demo DVD. Its Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire 8. It might not be your type of music, althought its very diverse. It comes with a DVD audio and a HDCD disk as well. These guys really care about the art of sound and its full of active surround info, in 5.1, and incredible deep bass! Good listening!

#43534 - 11/03/02 11:43 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Outlaw myself. I chose Outlaw after some careful consideration of myriad options on the market. I have had the hiss issue myself, and followed it intensely. While I do not feel I can speak for what real ears are hearing in some setups. I do feel that Outlaw as compared to numerous models and systems is under an abnormally strict scrutiny where hiss is concerned. There have been too many posting that after reading posts on the subject went ‘looking’ for it in other systems and found it.

In my setup the hiss was more pronounced the first weeks, but has been reduced so remarkably after tweaking the system over time, that it is less than other units I have heard who’s make/model I have never seen mentioned in conjunction with the subject of ‘hiss’.

I was extremely pleased with the performance of the 950 in HT which was my initial priority when I began to setup this system. I was not happy with it the first week and it took some major tweaking to get it to how I thought it should sound after the long buildup. I never dreamt that the adept handling capabilities of the Outlaw would lead me back to reaquire a long neglected passion for 2-channel and the subtleties and nuances of simply enjoying ‘music’ Vs the HT pit we families who live by DVD slowly fall into.

I just picked up a pair of Vienna Beethoven’s after yearning to pair the Outlaw with some speakers with more range than my current set of satellites.

I have to admit to some trepidation when coming home with the Beethoven’s, which I choose over
Klipsch, Martin Login Odyssey's, Sonus Faber Grand Piano’s, Boston A, and Infinity for their smoothness and refinement. A sense of “odd match” crossed my mind as it did when I first heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s engagement to Maria Shriver. Would the ‘Outlaw’ step on the toes of the Duchess?

I am more impressed with this Outlaw 950/770 than before, I could spend a lot more on the pre-pro side for much less performance and handling. Since I tended to class the Outlaw as the brute force and muscle behind the successful new HT setup here at home, Like Arnold’s tango in a tux in "True Lies", the Outlaw proved it has grace to match its power.
I appreciate Outlaw for it’s unrestricted no-views barred but generally well-mannered and helpful forum and for its product line. I expected the Vienna’s to be of a nice –well rounded quality for their price, I did not expect so much out of the Outlaw. Many thanks for reviving the fun, the versatility and the seduction of music.

posted this at another forum but just have to add to it. I'm becoming ticked at Outlaw for one thing, I'm spending way too much in this area of my life right now and the Outlaw started it all for me (this renewed excitement, Plus keeping me up half the night last night listening to the VB's.

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts