Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#43535 - 11/03/02 12:04 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 03, 2002).]

#43536 - 11/03/02 05:38 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
sonny Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Love my too, had it for little over a month. Outstanding customer service. No hiss. The only problem i have is every time i turn the 950 off my speakers make a popping noise, i'm using Cition 7.1 trigger on from the 950. Beside the popping noise, the 950 is an excellent choise. Worth the wait!

#43537 - 11/03/02 08:42 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have had a few problems with my 950, but they have been mostly "User Error." Other than that, I think I got my money's worth. I also ordered a bunch of cables which I also like very much, although I wish they had a greater varity of lenghts.

------------------
MeanGene's Home Theater

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited November 03, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#43538 - 11/03/02 10:55 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
hey, MG: did you put the handles on your phase??? i have 2 of those from the old days. i'm not using them, but i never saw a 400 with handles. anyway....brings back memories to see one.

#43539 - 11/05/02 12:19 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
They both came with the handles. The Phase linear also has a wood box for it. I found out recently that my Phase Linear is the "Laboratory Standard", which has better heat sinks. This is good because they are also infamously known as "Flame Linear" for there lack of grace when over-loaded.

There were two versions of heat sinks used on the 400. Early 400 series 1's had a approx. 4-3/4" wide heat sinks and the words "Four hundred Watts RMS" on the front panel. Later 400 series 1's had an additional center heat sink and transistor covers with the words "Laboratory Standard Amplifier" on the front panel.

I have seen some esoteric tube amps, but nothing looks as awesome as the Mesa/Boogie's 12 6L6's all lit up and running full bore.

------------------
MeanGene's Home Theater

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited November 05, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#43540 - 11/08/02 08:06 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
This post is a question back to Little Miss Lena on the quote "after some tweaking over time". I have posted under "To Hiss or Not to Hiss" my initial experience with the model 950, less than stellar so far. I too have the hiss problem, or perceived problem. This hiss is very audible at the listening area about 10 feet away. Do you have any suggestions on some "tweaks" that may help reduce this or is it worth trying another model 950, maybe I got a bad apple?

#43541 - 11/08/02 10:28 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
Scott - what I did to lower the hiss level in my system:

Amp - My Parasound has adjustible gains. Reduced them by 25% and hiss was greatly reduced. In dead silent room (night)/at +10 volumn/analog source selected nothing playing/hiss heard from < than 1 foot.

Interesting point/unhooking Amp from 950, so Amp + speakers only in chain, gains at 100%, hiss was heard at < 1 foot/almost ear to tweeter. Plug 950 in/gain at 100% hiss probably heard +3 feet out (seating is about 10 feet). By reducing gain 25%/I achieved about what I heard Amp/speaker only-amp gains 100%.

If you dont have adjustable gains to play with? Also, try not to "listen" for the hiss/instead listen to your source. Most (KB excepted) do not hear hiss OVER a source playing, only with no source.

#43542 - 11/08/02 11:15 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Davis S,

Quote:
Amp - My Parasound has adjustible gains. Reduced them by 25% and hiss was greatly reduced. In dead silent room (night)/at +10 volumn/analog source selected nothing playing/hiss heard from < than 1 foot.

I also use Parasound amps. Did you know that when you reduce the gain control on thje amp you may actually be reducing the Class A output % of the amp?

The reason I like the Parasound is because of the high Class A bias and high current. Because of this I run the level controls at full output for the full Class A bias benefit (Class A is said to be smoother output).

#43543 - 11/08/02 12:41 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
This post is a question back to Little Miss Lena on the quote "after some tweaking over time".

You asked about tweaks
This is what I have going on. Right now my first 950 (the hissier one) is in my rack. AND it has LESS hiss than it did. If I tweaked pertinent to the reduction I have experinced I’m at a loss how to tell you to duplicate. Realize that this was MY first hands on foray into AV. By that statement I mean….I’ve been listening to sound all my life. Music is a necessity in the background of my days. The 950 purchase, (and shortly before) was the first time in my life, I began to pay attention to how to set up a AV system, and why different setups (brands/models/config menus) affect the ‘quality’ of the sound.

Since the 950’s arrival, I have learned to move speaker terminations/route interconnects/calibrate and navigate system setup menus. Source/inputs/SPL/Distance/crossovers/tone controls (treble/bass)/SP modes. The whole side of AV that I left to the ‘men’ till now.

I have changed and played with settings in so many different configurations that there is no way I’d be able to draw a ‘backtrack’ map. Many of these settings were changed over the last months due to advice that was given directly and/or reading posts and contemplating for myself what to attempt and after some critical beginner’s mistakes. (Which most here, with much experience would have skipped over entirely) Ex: Boosting my surrounds way out of proportion, in my excitement over playing with DTS and DD 3.2/1.

If any of the above had an effect on hiss, you explain it me? I know that I (as anyone who loves and listens with heightened attention to all music reproduction) had had opinions on the ability of any system to reproduce it. This setup sounds simply good/better/best/excellent. I never contemplated upon the many variables, which can effect any systems output. Which brands more ably pass the sound and how to tweak any given system to its fullest potential.

When I mentioned I was not happy with the 950 the first weeks, this feeling was not centered on the subject of hiss, but on the general experience of the sound in total. My husband, (who has not become involved due to his own major project at the time) and I both found the 950 fairly flat and unappealing out of the box. (But I set the menus) To be honest I was happier with the output of my old Pro-Logic Receiver. As I learned to navigate through calibration/distances/crossovers and brought these parameters in line with what was best matched with my speakers, each step forward, was as if I had unboxed a new unit. Every other foray into setup, the sound improved dramatically. Could any of this affect the level of my hiss? I don’t’ know, if I had more experience in setting up a system, I could more easily tell you, I changed this and it did that, since I would have been familiar with a baseline average setup and more quickly moved forward from that starting point. As it was, I used up many days, (what’s a interconnect?) learning the bare bones basics. I don’t know what all I’ve done as I’ve reset the system countless times.

Burn in. A subject that can be debated hotly both sides by some engineers. (Whether or not it occurs and can effect sound) In my experience it does occur to a ‘degree’ in systems. But then I have also proved to myself that a change in interconnects does have a net (positive or negative) affect on the quality of sound and picture. I came to this opinion by changing brands out with absolutely no other adjustments made concurrently to the system, and will beg to differ with any (many) who state it does not. While I understand the tricks the brain can play with ears. Changing my component cables alone between 3 brands visually affected color scale on the display to a dramatic degree.

Leading to my contemplating whether there is a possibility that the 950’s burn-in has reduced its hiss over time.
How much effect I had on the distance out I was able to hear hiss by system configuration and how much is due to burn-in, I cannot judge. I could hear ‘hiss’ out to my seating. When the 950 first arrived. Hiss is NOT audible at seating under any source at this time (I have to go put my ear near speaker to find it now) this reduction occurred BEFORE last week’s speaker upgrade.

It crossed my mind when I installed the Beethoven’s that I would most likely increase the distance out of audible hiss than the distance heard with the less capable Def Techs. Counter to my expectations, Hiss has been reduced AGAIN.
I could hear hiss out approx. a foot on the Def Tech center just before the speaker upgrade. The hiss is closer to the fabric with the Vienna Acoustics.!?!

I will say this. When my hiss was audible to seating (to me) on certain passages played on certain sources, I had already made the decision to keep the 950 regardless. After comparisons to everything that I could request or heard playing at any electronic store I have frequented in the last months. Hiss or no, the 950 in totality beat the competition.

#43544 - 11/08/02 01:03 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"you may actually be reducing the Class A output % of the amp"?

What does "may" mean in your sentence. My guess is it is or it isnt..... So question to others, is there any basis in bstn's comment? bstn not to discount your comment/or you, but you also dont strike me as an Outlaw supporter - I forget if you kept your 950?

Also, I must say, outside the reduced hiss, I "hear"/not measuring:> no decreased pleasures to my ears. In fact, I'm listening to Stevie Ray V - Couldnt Stand the Weather on SACD right now and man, it sounds good. Voodio Chile at 00 on the 950/f*&*ing A! If its better thru the Rotel/or the Anthem, I'll give em a f*&*&ing B and a f*&^%ing C!

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts