Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#43505 - 09/22/02 10:32 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
scooter Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Everett, WA
||luv it||

[This message has been edited by scooter (edited September 22, 2002).]
Outlaw 990
Outlaw 770
HTPC/Movie Server (21 TB)
OPPO BDP-83
Toshiba HD-D2KU
Velodyne SMS-1
SVS PB2+
Aperion Intimus 6T tower (x2)
Aperion Intimus 6C center
Aperion 522D-LR (x4)
Monster HTS5000MKII
Monster MP-SW200 (x2)
Harmony ONE

#43506 - 09/22/02 05:03 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
Love my 950/770 combo. Who was it that said the 950 "died from a thousand paper cuts"?
DmC

#43507 - 09/23/02 01:05 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I mentioned this a while back (ages ago, actually) in an old thread , but AudioReview has a review page for the 950. Unfortunately, they put it under "Preamplifiers" instead of "A/V Preamplifiers" so it can be hard to find -- here's a link if any new 950 users want to post feedback. I haven't used AudioReview a lot lately (not many upgrades lately), but I have gotten some good info from there in the past.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43508 - 09/23/02 02:40 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
anberg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYNY,USA
Ecstatic

Got one of the original "hiss" models and even loved that. (It was only audible from listening position at setting above zero, and at that point the source material was so loud you'd hardly notice).

Got the "red dot" replacement last week. Hiss gone.

The unit is very audiophile "analytical". It extracts all the information that's there. Every little nuance of sound--and spatially presents it so each little sound is localized in some space. Sounds very clean -- as it should. What goes in comes out, which is what front end equipment is all about. Looking for a little added warmth or some other embellishment, go elsewhere.

It's an astonishing piece of equipment for the price.

A brief note to those who have been incessantly belly aching over missed deadlines and stopped production lines. I think the Outlaws were probably a bit too optimistic in announcing ship dates, probably because they calculated them assuming everything went according to schedule, which of course it never does. But I congratulate them for their open approach, especially acknowleding that some of the original units had a hiss problem and replacing at no cost.

BTW combined with the 770 this thing really kicks

#43509 - 09/23/02 07:24 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
No, I don't enjoy my 950... not right now.

That's because I'm at work and it is therefore too far away to enjoy.

In about an hour or so, I'll be home, though, and then I think I'll enjoy it.

It is a fine piece of hardware. I just need a bigger amp so that I can enjoy it here at work too.

Then maybe my friends down the street can enjoy it, too.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#43510 - 09/24/02 11:05 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Scott Offline
Desperado

Gonk,

Thanks for the recommendation! We would love to see everyone's reviews on AudioReview .

Great topic Pauls.

Best,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited September 24, 2002).]

#43511 - 09/24/02 11:20 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
mxy15 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rogers, AR
I have one of the non-hissing 2nd release model and I love it. It's so much better then any receivers I've owned in the past.

#43512 - 09/24/02 04:03 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
For the most part, yes.

Since I couldn't afford a super-deluxe pre-amp, I wanted to upgrade to DTS-ES & DD EX & PL II, and had no wish to return to receivers it seemed like a pretty good deal for the money.

However, after living with it for a while I miss some features that even some mid-priced receivers have: memory for calibration settings per audio format and digital and analog input, individual speaker delay settings for all channels (not just a select few), 6.1/7.1 mode that can be set to ON all the time, direct 6 or 8 channel analog input with absolutely no bass management applied when not wanted, software/format upgradeability via a PC port or CD disc (some companies are now putting the upgrades on a hybrid CD disc so when you switch on the flash memory upgrade mode and play it through a CD or DVD player with digital output it uploads the data into the processor as slick as a whistle), etc.

If I get to the point where I can afford a product with both the audio fidelity and the features I'm really looking for then I'll move up and maybe relegate the Model 950 to the bedroom or sell it.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited September 24, 2002).]

#43513 - 09/25/02 08:49 PM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hey guys, those of you who have taken time to write reviews in the past, here or at other sites. I just started a thread here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97592
If they leave it titled so...and please don't snicker at mine too hard. I like to read, the details of others experience’s and thoughts and learning curves with the 950. (and am scared of trying to verbalize details with my inept terminology...need to get that book Outlaw suggested, what was it ....Mr. Manners guide to AV etiquette and proper terminology... )

I have AHBL on the ‘western’ front right now, and not very much time to surf. Hoping to get some talk going in a couple of convenient locations, easy to keep track of.

But I did not think it ‘nice’ to come and snitch your reviews without permission and take them for a walk around the block to another site to get the ball rolling.

If your registered (or not, - its easy) post em, to get things going....(and so mine does not stick out like a sore thumb all lonesome!) If you don't mind, and have the time?!

don't wait till they have to pry your cold dead ears away from your 950's.

#43514 - 09/26/02 01:20 AM Re: Is anyone happy with their 950?
ews Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: akron, ohio usa
I just got mine today and considering how electronically challenged I am, I was amazed at how easy it was to set the unit up. the directions were great and easy to follow. I am only using the unit for theater sound but no matter what I played on what mode I was very happy with the result.There was a new-found richness to the sound field that was very pleasing to my ears, anyway. And DTS! My lord. It was the first exposure to it for me and I can't quite explain how wonderful it was. I watched the opening scene of Gladiator and sat there with my mouth agape. I had to turn down the volume because it was so, well, mammoth, I guess you could say. And I haven't even calibrated my speakers yet. The Outlaws should be proud of this unit. It is worth every penny.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts