Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43442 - 12/13/02 12:04 AM Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
First off..I believe this might be my second post. I clicked on "Post New Topic" to find that I had indeed registered a while back

Ok...I was on the fence with the 770/950 combo, but I'm ready to do this. I was close to buying the Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver (I have always had Elite receivers and have been very pleased) but even rated at 130 watts per channel, I won't have the peace of mind that the 770 would give me with all that added dynamic headroom.

And what better to match the 770 then the 950??!?!?! I downloaded the manual and gave it a quick read thru and forgot about its excellent crossover stages. To make this clear... instead of most receivers having the crossover settings at 80,100,120, and 150Hz, the 950 allows us to go down to 40Hz and 60Hz?! If this is true, I will be extremely happy. The more flexibility the better and something that simple makes it a sweeter deal for me.

This will be my first "seperates" purchase, and my Elite 36TX will head to the bedroom to power some bookshelves.

ANY and ALL advice you intelligent people can give, the better. And it will be much appreciated By the way, I use Def Tech BP30's for mains (Non powered versions, No sub built in) and the rest are Def Techs as well. None have built in subs. The thought of needing outlets for all those speakers doesnt sound like fun. Anyone else in here use Def Techs with their Outlaw gear?

I'm assuming the 770/950 combo will kill my current setup. I do fear that I will be less then ecstatic about its 2 channel performance after reading some negative posts. Then again, it should kill what my receiver does

Thanks for reading..and I look forward to posting here and learning from you all. I have a feeling it'll feel good being an Outlaw!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#43443 - 12/13/02 09:39 AM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
Congratulations and Welcome Aboard!! I upgraded from Elite to 950/770 and Outlaw interconnects and I am very pleased, but not using Def Tech, so not much help there.
Good Luck and let us know how you make out,
DmC

#43444 - 12/13/02 09:48 AM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
My only DefTech speaker is a ProSub100, which works fine with the 950. I've had my 950 all of two days and so far I'm happy with it. The remote is not very good, I didn't like it with my Sherwood Newcastle AV-P9080 and I don't like it with this either. It's better than nothing though I guess.

#43445 - 12/13/02 04:10 PM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I used to have Def Techs all around. I moved the BP-30's I had up front, to the surrounds, and still have a CLR-1000B for the rear center. (But I'm going to 7.1 over the holidays, yee ha!) I have Vandersteen all up front now, with a V2W sub.

Def Techs and the 950 (and my Acurus amps) go very well together. I do have more hiss from the Def Techs than the Vandersteens, but the Def Techs are a little bit more efficient, and I think in general, my hiss problem is more due to the interaction between the 950 and my amps than the speakers.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43446 - 12/13/02 10:55 PM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I would have to agree with you...any hissing is usually caused from various components interacting with each other. I hope I dont have any hissing. I'll keep asking for a replacement till its gone.

Ive never had any hissing in my systems in the last 10 years, IM not about to start now. Im worried now about the possibility of hissing I guess I'll have to wait and see.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#43447 - 12/13/02 11:31 PM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The currently shipping 950 misses its S/N specs by a considerable amount, according to multiple measurements. The out-of-spec S/N probably contributes to the hiss.

#43448 - 12/14/02 03:34 AM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
any hissing is usually caused from various components interacting with each other.

Yes and no. Same exact setup with a Sony TA-E9000ES, and I had to put my ear right up to the tweeters, adjust my head just so, and I could hear it. With the Outlaw, easily heard 2 ft out from all of my speakers except my rear center, and that one is 4 ft out. I can hear that one at my listening position if I turn my head 90 deg. The interesting thing with my old setup was, I *also* had a ~12 year old (fully analog) Shure DPL processor hooked up to my surrounds to create the rear channel. So even with *two* processors in the loop, still the same low level of hiss that I mentioned with my rear center. This, I know for a fact, because I tried a Sony SDP-E800 for the same thing (pseudo 6.1), and it hissed like a rattle snake.

A long while ago, I used a Yamaha RX-V793 receiver as a pre/pro also with Def Tech speakers and a (smaller) Acurus 100x3 amp. Don't remember any hiss from that set up either.

Luckily, Outlaw is still working on it.

I was hoping to get something under my Christmas tree, but maybe a little longer...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43449 - 12/15/02 03:31 AM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Luckily, Outlaw is still working on it.

I was hoping to get something under my Christmas tree, but maybe a little longer...

Deja vu, all over again.

Sanjay

#43450 - 12/22/02 01:57 PM Re: Decisions decisions..I finally made one!
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Yes, the Cross-0vers go down to 40Hz.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts