Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#43409 - 11/21/02 09:35 AM Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
Mighunter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just hooked up my new 950/770 last night to my Pioneer Elite DV-45A. I popped in a DVD Audio disc (Fleetwood Mac) and I could not get any audio whatsoever! Please help! I hooked up the two with cables running from the analog multi-channel outputs to the multi-channel inputs on the 950. I selected DVD-Analog on the 950 and nothing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I know it isn't the DVD player in the sense that before I bought the 950 I just had a receiver (although it was not conneced through the mulit-channel analog outputs because the reciver didn't have that feature) but the music still played.

Please help!

Thanks
Joe

#43410 - 11/21/02 12:04 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Mighunter

The DVD analog input on the 950 is separate from the 6-channel analog input, which sounds like it may be your problem. You need to select the 6-channel analog input (6 CH, a button just to the right of the number pad). You might want to check out this old post (from the 950 archive here in the saloon) for a way to get you back on track.

I'd also recommend connecting the DV-45A to the 950 using coax or optical digital, for use with regular DVD's -- otherwise the 950's processing modes (Dolby EX, DTS ES, Pro Logic II, Cirrus Extra Surround) and digital bass management won't be available when watching movies.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#43411 - 11/21/02 12:15 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
Mighunter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk, thanks I'm sure that is the solution. So are you telling me that if I want to play a SACD that in order to place the 950 on the correct "input" selection if you will, I have to push the 6 channel direct button on the remote, but that making that same selection can't be made on the face plate of the 950 itself?

I guess I'm thinking that the 6 channel direct option should be like cycling through any of the other 950 inputs like Coax1, 2, Optical 1..4 etc.

Is this correct. Sorry for the probably niave questions, but I'm fairly new to this and this is my first real step up to good quality multi function HT equipment.

BTW, I do have the DVD hooked up to the 950 with a Digital Coax as well.

Thanks for your help. I hope I'll be listening to a little Fleetwood Mac tonight.

Joe

#43412 - 11/21/02 01:03 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
dragonmonger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
On my Toshiba 5700 I also had to change the output type on the DVD player to Analog 6-channel from PCM or bitstream. This makes listening to a DVD-Audio a royal pain but the sound quality is awesome. The menu to do it was pretty buried on mine, so double check your instructions.

Dragonmonger

PS) Fleetwood Mac Rumours is awesome, I love the part about 35 seconds into track one where the drums move around the room to the cymbal on the back left.

#43413 - 11/21/02 01:53 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

The 6-channel analog input does not have a button on the faceplate, but it may be in the list of sources (the source up/down buttons over the volume, no the digital input button that cycles through coax1, coax2, optical1, ...). I haven't ever really used the source buttons on the face plate, so I'm not sure.

------------------

#43414 - 11/21/02 03:38 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
Mighunter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk, thanks for your help. I'll be evaluating DVD Audio to it's finest thanks to you. An no, as far as I can tell, there isn't a 6 Channel input when you cycle through the inputs using the up and down buttons on the faceplate.

Thanks again

joe

#43415 - 11/21/02 11:09 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Mighunter,

I hope you've made progress. I also chose the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A as my first disc. What an experience. Yes: Fragile awaits me this weekend.

Another thing you need to consider with the 950 is the analog bass management switch on the back of the unit. There's tons and tons of information (and debate) in the archives but just make sure it's set properly for you. Unless you have full range speakers all the way around, set the switch to "on" and enjoy. Quite a few DVD-As are not mixed to match our home theater setups and most players (I don't know about yours) do not have bass management for DVD-A. The 950 handles it for you.

#43416 - 11/22/02 08:56 AM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
Mighunter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

DollarBill, I'm all set. Hit the 6 channel button on the remote and I was in business. Threw in the Rumors CD and was blown away. I especially like the third song which is mostly instrumental, I think it's called Never Go Back. Wow!

I also picked up a SACD Santana but I was dissapointed as the sound was only from the left and right fronts. There was no surround or center whatsoever. I hope all SACD's aren't the same or maybe they are, I don't know.

Anyway, from the two days I've had the 950/770, I absoultly love listening to music again. You know what else sounds amazing is Norah Jones in 5 channel stereo. Sweet.

Thanks for all the help. BTW, I do have the bass management turned on the 950.

Joe

#43417 - 11/22/02 09:20 AM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

So Santana's a stereo SACD? There are some of those around -- originally, SACD was a purely two-channel format. I think the packaging typically includes some indication of whether it's a 5.1 mix or a stereo mix ( Sony's SACD site maintains separate lists for stereo and multichannel SACD's (and Santana is on the stereo list).

------------------

#43418 - 11/22/02 12:09 PM Re: Need help with DVD/SACD hookup with 950
Mighunter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk, I wish I had noticed because I would not have bought it. I sure hope that more comes out in either SACD or DVD Audio because it is very very kool especially on the 950/770 combo.

Anyone have any recomendations on some really good SACD's or DVD Audios I should ask Santa for Christmas?

MIG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts