Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#43303 - 11/08/02 03:32 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soundhound:
[B] Hey, have you heard that awsome 1Khz test tone that Hewlett-Packard released - I hear it''s go'in platinum on the record charts!

this is funny!!! it made me think of a few funny lines i read in this forum. someone should start a top ten funniest one-liners thread.

for me, meangene holds the top 2 spots:
1.) amidst a raging 'hissy' thread came this post: "...yeah, but it's a DRY hiss."

2.) somewhere in the middle of a long, meticulous list of meangene's hardware setup was this item: " bass management: remove all pictures from walls."

3.) soundhound currently holds this spot with the above quoted gem.

#43304 - 11/08/02 03:59 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Bosso:

Well, it probably helped that I had my weekly pitcher of margharitas last night

#43305 - 11/08/02 04:55 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
"...yeah, but it's a DRY hiss."

I had forgotten THAT one..I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. It hit me as particulary humorous because I prefer 'dry' in so many situations. Take 'dry' cold. I can run around in CO all day in a sweater at 2 degrees (in the sun) in Texas I'm freezing at 40 degrees. And I prefer 'dry' wines can't stand the sweet.

Soundhound, you want to know why I 'love' Mexican food. Because you 'have to' order a margerita with it!. ummmm it's Friday...Blue Mesa tonight?

#43306 - 11/08/02 05:07 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
... you want to know why I 'love' Mexican food. Because you 'have to' order a margerita with it!. ummmm it's Friday...Blue Mesa tonight?

Yep, I'm THERE! But anything less than a PITCHER of marguaritas is a waste

#43307 - 11/11/02 12:17 AM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Well....I'm back in the market for a new DVD player.

I thought this thread would be a good place to ask....what players do some of you use??

Right now, the pioneer dv-45a is high on the list because of features (DVD-A and SACD) and price.

Thanks for the input.

fly guy

#43308 - 11/11/02 02:46 AM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I have a DV-45a. It only weighs 5.5 lbs or so. Really bugged me at first. But the sound and video quality are quite nice for the price. Will probably have it a while. And it has bass management on everything, although with the 950, that isn't really necessary.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43309 - 11/11/02 12:02 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have the Panasonic RP91, and have been very happy. However if your interested in the dual format capability this one is not for you with DVD-A only. It is also aging with an older Genesis chipset. But I purchased it (at the time) for its workhorse, - well-respected rating. (And dropping price) And most particularly for its screen scaling capabilities, which was a feature slim on most units at that time, since I have a Display that’s locks into Full on progressive mode.
The Pioneer 45 was on my short list to look at, but when I purchased every place I tried was out of stock of the current model I never could check the Pioneer out in person, - so I went with the 91. I wanted to see the new Pioneer coming but would not wait till it hit the market.
I’ve seen a lot of good press on the Pioneer, and would consider it myself to be very worth giving a go.
I found in DVD players more than most units, that not a ONE came with my desired specs (when I purchased) The latest ... Faroudja Sage with 12 bit on video, WITH scaling and aspect ratio controls, (that’s the part that’s hard to find) with DVD and SACD. So I gave up and went for the 91.

I focused on the pic quality for this purchase more than the audio but the 91 does a great job in passthru, where I have an option to disengage the video side of the unit when I use it soley for CD’s.

#43310 - 11/11/02 12:19 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

If I can ask a slightly off-topic question...

Anyone with any of these Pioneers (or Lena with your Panny) know if they will downmix a 'phantom center' while playing DVD-A or SACD??

I've asked this EVERYWHERE and no owners seems to ever know.

Obviously I'm in very small minority by not using a center chan., so this feature is probably useless to you all, but I just need to know if it can be done, or if I'll be forced to build a center chan, and buy one more amp for my room.

Thanks!

Also, any of you compare the CD output from these players to the 950's analog vs. the 950's own DAC via digital connection?

"Huge diff.!"
"Subtle diff".
"Hard to say, but I prefer..'x'"

Sorry to ask if I maybe I missed it if you already did.

#43311 - 11/11/02 12:20 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
charlie Offline
Desperado

Do either of the above units have a DVD-Video lock mode where a the DVD-A part of the player can be disabled? The reason I ask is that the DVD-A spec says dual mode DVDs (most DVD-As out there) should be presented as DVD-A in the DVD-A players and have their video compatible data ignored. Some DVD players with DVD-Audio capability can have the DVD-A section shut down to allow access to the DVD-V parts in a csae like this.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited November 11, 2002).]

#43312 - 11/11/02 04:08 PM Re: Wow! DVD-A/SACD
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Az- There is a thread on HTF now with your concern as far as the Pioneers go. No phantom center. If you disable it in the player, you lose it. There was at least one other player mentioned that did the same thing.

Charlie- I don't remember a feature like that. You can choose from the DVD-V or DVD-A parts from the menu on your display though (not the player's display, your main (TV) display).

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts