You're welcome!

#43149 - 11/26/02 11:35 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Lena:

5.1? 7.1?? 10.1??? Heck, with all those speakers I've got 250.1!!!!!! Eat 'yer heart out....

How are you at .1? You had four of the biggest subwoofers I have ever seen the last I counted.

#43150 - 11/26/02 11:49 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
How are you at .1? You had four of the biggest subwoofers I have ever seen the last I counted.

Yeah, but it is a BIG ".1"!

#43151 - 11/27/02 10:19 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
if anyone paid attention
I’m sorry Bossobass, I really did…… in fact I downloaded it…then lost it somewhere when it was sent to a ‘temp’ file trying to save it to A drive. I did not recognize the ‘look’ of the logo itself….but I definitely recognized the saying,…..”Voice of the Theater” Did they say that in commercials? Radio? On the big screen….it sounded very very familiar. Probably as familiar as “The Audience is Listening” will be to my children.
I just got a little sidetracked chasing trainwrecks as I have appointed myself, Ms Manners of Outlaw, and although I see (for streches) improvements…sometimes it’s a full time job.

Also would like to take the opportunity to thank, PatriCanuck. That was a nice link. We still have a few ‘palaces’ around here that wax and wane with new ownership, predominately in the grand style of ‘Art Deco’.

I will never forget my parents taking us to a release, or re-release? Of ‘Gone with the Wind’ at one of these which is located in a local strip mall that was the first mall to make the Federal Historical Society List in America.

Pipe Organ!!!! Lush Draperies, Scones, red velvet in the seats. For some reason that night in particular made a lasting memory for me. I’d be more inclined to head for the theater’s if they had kept those traditions!!!!.

SH you just really want me to hate you don't you!?

#43152 - 11/27/02 10:42 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Lena, I thought you were from Texas! The very first indoor "mall" (now considered to be more of a strip mall) is the Valley Fair Mall in Appleton, WI. It has theaters, an arcade, small shops and an anchor store. Are we thinking of the same place? If so, are you originally from here?

By the way, the Valley Fair Mall, while a nice small place to shop, is nothing compared to the Mall Of America in Minneapolis. If you ever get a chance, check that place out. My wife and her friends can get lost there for days on end!

[This message has been edited by willscary (edited November 27, 2002).]

#43153 - 11/27/02 12:18 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Yes! You are correct- In Texas…Got the info from here 3 paragraphs down:

http://www.regententertainment.com/regent/news_new_theaters.htm

and here:
http://www.hpvillage.com/history/index.htm

But it is not an ‘enclosed’ mall…the old-fashioned ‘strip’ version prob. a whole different ‘historical’ designation.

Somewhere I ran into some good shots of the lobby and old original ONE screen (love it) with balcony. Can’t find right now. Gotta run to business lunch…

#43154 - 11/27/02 01:54 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound,

"I really don't see why this whole issue upsets you so much."

Honestly, I'm not upset. I can understand why it 'read' that way though. I'm not the warmest of voices, I need to work on that, and I'm open to people who want to help me in this area.

"Yes, I DID need about 6 megabytes of my 10 megabyte space for work. The logo was about 1.3megs, and I've had to take it down too for space. What's the big deal?"

Like I said.. it was that you started this thread for showing pictures. Not a big deal, but by the time I saw this thread your pics were gone and I guess I got ticked.

I probably should not have, but I guess some may agree that I'm not terribly good at being 'human'.
How 'bout we e-shake and start over?

"The files for my HT pictures was about 5 megabytes, which is a lot to ask of the AVS board to post."

Yeah, that is a lot. I think the AVSforum's limit is 256K. That's WAAAAY less, but most people just shrink the pics.
@ 72dpi. you can fit a few small photos in this space if you (or anyone else who wants to look into this) wanted to.

People could just post links here if they wanted. I might suggest they start a new thread just to kindda 'start fresh'? Just an idea.

I crammed my one HT pic just under ~220K. It's made up of 15 crappy digital cam shots I pieced togther in photoshop so that's why it's of VERY poor quality (I mention this under the pic).

If you have a decent digital cam or film photos they should look great enough to show off even shrunk in this tiny amount of space.

"Nobody but you has said a word about the pictures being taken down."

Yeah, I guess that was part of why I decided to say something -'cuz no one else seemed to notice.
I didn't want it to be an attack though. Sorry.

"I would assume that anybody who was truly interested had already seen them, or possibly downloaded them to keep for reference."

Like I said.. by the time I saw the thread (and I was interested) they were gone. My fault I guess for being (in Outlaw-speak) 'too slow on the draw'.

I honestly figured my 'prodding' would've just gotten you to put 'em back up rather than start the 'mess' I guess it lead to.

I'll have to find someone to 're-post' my posts and remove the smartass elements from them.

"Yes, I did look at your theater on the AVS board."

Cool. I feel funny about showing pics actually 'cuz I don't want to look like i'm 'showing off'.
I mentioned I had a pic posted for the first time here because of your HT pic thread (which I think was a good idea you had).

"The picture is limited in it's resolution,-"

Yeah, VERY much so. I expect I'll try again with a 'real camera' sometime -maybe w/ a fish-eye lens so I don't have to edit 15 shots into one.

"I get screen reflection from the white walls, and it washes the screen out to a small but noticiable degree. Your coloring would be more immune to this."

Yeah, the rest of my house is (hardly) off-white as was this 'area' before I recently busted out a wall and expanded it into a dedicated HT room.
The darker color does make a Big diff. on a screen esp. FP. I meant to have a combo FP/direct view system and had the Plus Piano. I returned it though 'cuz of rainbow probs (and limited rez.), but I still have the outlet on the ceiling for future options.

BTW, the walls of the extention are made of 'perform panel'. 12" thick polystyrene beams that are stacked and filled with a grid
of rebar and concrete. Anyone looking to build a custom room might want to look into this stuff. It worked really well.
Super insulated (both sound and temp), very strong, very fire resistant (close to 'proof'), zero-flex walls.

"Peace....."

Same to you.
Happy TurkeyDay to everybody.

#43155 - 11/27/02 03:55 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
azryan:

Yes, let's go on and forget all the bad vibe that has come before!

I hadn't heard of the polystryene beams, sounds like a good idea. My room was built as a dedicated room over a garage that collapsed in the Northridge earthquake in '94. The city went absolutely stark raving mad with new building regulations, which I got embroiled in. After a YEAR of dickering with getting plans approved, the room finally got built over a new garage, but it cost me over TWICE as much as it would have if it was built before the earthquake. There are huge beams called 'glue-lams' that you normally see holding up the roof in warehouses at the arch of my roof, and another couple under the floor. There's a steel beam and steel posts over a foot square that are supporting the overhang of my room upstairs. The exterior is laminated with 3/4" plywood. This room ain't going nowhere!! I guess I can take comfort in the fact that it is relatively soundproof.

I used an Olympus E-10 digital camera to take the pictures of my room. I did re-size them to 1024x768 at 72dpi, but they are still relatively big, and I can't bring myself to use the jpeg compression in Photoshop at anything less than "8 or 9". Anyway, when I get over with the current project I'm doing, I'll probably be able to put up the pix agian.

Don't eat too much turkey!

#43156 - 11/27/02 04:21 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not upset. I can understand why it 'read' that way though. I'm not the warmest of voices, I need to work on that, and I'm open to people who want to help me in this area.

I think in large part it's the nature of the medium. Without body language, facial expression, voice inflection, real time feedback from the other party, etc. things we say here can sound much different than in a conversation. It happens to everyone (except SLL I think) once in a while.

I try (not always succeeding) to take the mindset of writing a letter rather than having a conversation and this does help, at least for me. If I wrote what I thought most of the time you'd really think I'm an ass.

Any chance of seeing that link?

Have a good one.

#43157 - 11/27/02 05:28 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

"The city went absolutely stark raving mad with new building regulations, which I got embroiled in. After a YEAR of dickering with getting plans approved, the room finally got built over a new garage, but it cost me over TWICE as much as it would have if it was built before the earthquake."

Well... but hopefully that means it's safe where maybe before it wouldn't 've been??

"-I did re-size them to 1024x768 at 72dpi, but they are still relatively big, and I can't bring myself to use the jpeg compression in Photoshop at anything less than "8 or 9"."

Do it! Compress it to 11!! Don't compress the 'originals', but there's people with several detailed/good looking shots up using AVSforum's tiny amount of free space. Just for computer viewing you can really make the photos TINY.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts