Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >
Topic Options
#43128 - 11/26/02 11:45 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
PatriCanuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
if you are interested in movie palaces... check out www.historictheatres.org - it's the website of the Theatre Historical Society of America. altho, I'm in Canada (Vancouver, BC) I belong and support this great organization. have a look and prepare to drool and dream

Seattle has a small 3 screen movie theatre that was built a couple of years ago, in the Ballard area. in the main theatre (this is an independent done RIGHT!) they have a traditional "waterfall" curtain... so classy (similar to the waterfall motorized in Radio City Music Hall).

I was a projectionist as a teenager back in the carbon arc days. 20 minute reels, changeovers, etc. it was a blast. "Voice of the Theater" was an Altec Lansing trademark for their huge horn speakers.

check out the THSA website - you can get lost in there for hours, going through links etc.

We have a wonderful "Orpheum" theatre here that just celebrated it's 75th birthday. It was an original vaudeville/movie palace that was saved and restored as our main Symphony Hall a couple of decades ago. It's still so wonderful exploring the place .

it's all one of the reasons we bought a 950... for our own little movie palaces no matter how plain or how how plush they may be

#43129 - 11/26/02 11:53 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Thanks for the link!

Here in Los Angeles, we are more likely to restore a 'historic' McDonalds hamburger stand than something like a movie theatre There is the El Capitan theatre in Hollyweird that is great. The only problem is that it is owned by Disney, and they have a tendency to play more than a few Disney films; not my cup 'o tea.

Congratulations! You are the _Second_ person to recognize the "Voice of the Theatre" logo! I guess all the others died off years ago......

#43130 - 11/26/02 12:29 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
From one doggie to another!

SoundHOUND:

One wishes that they'd let us doggies into theaters, as I have heard (but of course, can't get into) that they have re-done the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. At least one other that is kept.

On another front, though not as historic, there is the newly renovated Dome, but alas I can't get in there either.

Hey, who doesn't remember A7 as a cultural benchmark for early 'philes? Didn't everyone you knew have two of them in a dorm room for listening to acid rock at incredibly loud volumes? (Before my doggie days, of course! As my master says, if you say you remember it, you really weren't there!)

But what do I know, I'm only a dog?

ARF ARF, says Iggy.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#43131 - 11/26/02 12:34 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I just saw "This is Cinerama" at the Dome a month or so ago. Interesting to see 'failed technologies' up close and personal. Saw something at the Egyptian theatre, but was put off somewhat at the 'updated' decor. Oh well.

Gotta go, my dog is peeing on my horns......

#43132 - 11/26/02 02:46 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Lena,

Here we got along so well just recently and now you get me wrong here?
I got ticked at soundhound for starting this thread asking people to put up HT pics and then he takes his down himself. I guess I'm the only one who sees how stupid that was.

Then he keeps saying the reason it that he doesn't have the webspace even though that 'logo' takes up a TON of webspace (it's a large file -as I already said).

Do you dismiss or ignore this point too -like he did? Why??

The space it takes up compared to his HT pic that could be there was my main point about the logo, not it's looks.

I also mentioned areas where he (or anyone) could put up pics for FREE solving this 'lack of webspace' excuse he kept posting.

He of course ignored this good suggestion and instead insulted me for the 2nd time.

Did you miss that Lena?

Remember I never insulted him yet (only that 'logo'-unless he designed it which I'm sure he didn't).

If that puke yellow color is supose to be 'gold' then I'll only call that logo plain or dull.

"I’m afraid if I were Soundhound, even if I had been so inclined to repaste my link when I had the time and space. If I were him I might just have to let you ‘wonder’ what it looked like after ummm…..that discussion."

Don't you see... that's what he ALREADY did to everyone before I ever posted in this thread.

I was mildly interested in his pics before, but now I could care less. I'm just posting to your so you hopefully understand my points more clearly.

"-And that’s a crying shame. They were pics to drool over…….."

My HT's very nice looking, so even if his is World's Better (which I doubt based on his love of movie theater sound which is typically poor/awful compared to a quality home set-up), I don't care anymore.

#43133 - 11/26/02 04:09 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Everything in life is not a contest, and his HT is very cool, not just from a performance point of view (which I suspect is also true) but also from a decor/theme point of view. It managed to be functional and personal. Not my taste, but I certainly respect the quality of implementation and wouldn't turn down a chance to visit.

Also, I find it useful to remember that in many cases, it's not what we say, but how we say it that matters. Just FYI and YMMV.

#43134 - 11/26/02 04:11 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
JasonA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Marion, Iowa
azryan, why do you insist on behaving this way? Surely you have at least one ounce of tact in you? Maybe you don't care if other people like you, but for the sake of civil conversation, why not try to at least be pleasant? Every time I see your name on a post, I have to prep myself for a good laugh at your pompous attitude. Your behavior borders on "trollish", and if you aren't careful, it could lead to your banishment. Despite the fact that I don't always agree with you, I think that at least occasionally you make a good point, so you are worth "keeping around".

What is making me laugh now is that 1) you think that you have been insulted first (go back and read you first post - I don't consider "puke-ish" to be a friendly term when describing someone else's possessions). 2) I honestly don't understand why you are getting so overly concerned about this thread. He obviously has limited web space, and since the thread pretty much flopped anyway (notice there was only one other post about a home theater), there really probably isn't much of a reason to re-post the pictures. It's his web space and his pictures. If he were really concerned about YOU seeing them, he would have probably re-posted them. It's obviously not a high priority for him (as it apparently is for you).

I know that my posting this isn't going to in any way change your behavior, and you'll probably get a laugh from it, but I think it deserves being said.

Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonA (edited November 26, 2002).]

#43135 - 11/26/02 04:17 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Wow, I never realized it was illegal to manage your webspace the way it suits you best! I guess there are laws somewhere (are there "stupidity laws"?) making it a crime to delete a post without first consulting azryan.

#43136 - 11/26/02 04:35 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Azryan, he does have a right to change his mind. Soundhound said he needed the space for something else and he will most likely put the pics back up when he can. Yes he did start a thread asking for others to post pics of their home theater pics, but he took his down out of necessity. Soundhound can post them elsewhere if he wants to, but maybe he doesn't. He really likes that picture and some others here do too. I'm too young to really understand its meaning, but I know the other guys get it.

You do not call people names, I have never seen you do that anywhere I can recall on the Outlaw message board, but there are other ways to insult people. You tend to treat others like incompetent fools. You do make a lot of good points, but have a tendancy to spout off at every little thing that is not absolutely perfect in your eyes. Cut people some slack. It's really quite nice to be on a message board that keeps it's discussions civil. A lot more gets accomplished that way.

#43137 - 11/26/02 05:42 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
ARF ARF, says Iggy….. ARF ARF ARF says Iggy
What is it Iggy I’m working go away!
ARF ARF, says Iggy
What?! Whats that you say……. Timmy’s in the well?
ARF, says Iggy.

OKAY lets go get the rope (and the flamesuit)

Remember I never insulted him yet (only that 'logo'-unless he designed it which I'm sure he didn't).
Your right and that’s a great improvement from attacking directly. And I agree I miss the link, as it was fun to look at. But that is SH’s personal business for whatever personal reasons. Humans are so funny in the sense that they become very proprietorial over things, and even ideas. And when someone posts they don’t often relish something in their post being aggressively degenerated. You don’t have to like something, or even say you like it. My choice most often….it's better left unsaid, or couched in polite terminology if you’re trying to relay information. My examples: Not my favorite color….etc. was an poor attempt at humor to remind you of MY cardinal rule. You catch more flys…….
Azryan, I love your posts, We all have equal rights to be here, until THE Outlaw comes in and busts up the town dance. And we are all VERY DIFFERENT sorts of Outlaws. I have always collected very different acquaintances I love people tall, short, thick, thin, old, young and yes even AV people (strange lot)….I find it makes life more exciting and broad. But when very different sorts gather (even in cyberspace) it’s wise to tread slowly carefully and leave puke-ie sticks at home.

Here we got along so well just recently.
I thought we always ‘got along’ and until I drive you stark raving bonkers (rather more likely than not) -- always will. I hope you forgive me I just have that overwelming female urge to tidy male egos and forum wars up.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts