Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 >
Topic Options
#43118 - 11/23/02 02:23 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
The theater my wife and I went to in Dublin last summer had a curtain! It moved to! Now a days only custom HT have curtains. The theater was massive to, 700 some seats not quite stadium but did rise up in back so you didn't have to look at somebody's head. It had great sound despite being so big. It was a great movie experience, but it might have be the location.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#43119 - 11/23/02 05:05 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yep. I don't think many people realize how thrilling it was to attend movies when theaters were 'movie palaces'. Road shows had overtures, then the lights would slowly dim, as the curtain opened on the MGM lion - Showmanship! Now your're lucky if the pimply-faced usher who runs the projector bothers to dim the lights at all

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 23, 2002).]

#43120 - 11/23/02 05:59 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Now you would be hard pressed to find anyone running the projector most theaters are ran by computer and nobody but a select few venture in the booth and then only to fix a problem. Many years ago my wife worked at a theater and they had just switched over to a computer based projectors she always said it wasn't the same as having somebody sitting there monitoring what was going on. Oh well this is progress good and bad.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#43121 - 11/23/02 06:15 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Last time I was at the El Capitan theatre here in Los Angeles, I remeber them still having a 'curtain show' like the old movie palaces used to have. First there was the heavy outer curtain; it would rise, creating cresent shaped pleats as it went up. Then was the almost translucent inner curtains, which would split horizontally to reveal the screen. To signal going from the trailers to the main feature, this inner curtain would do a quick open/close routine. I think there may have also been a third, black-mask curtain that adjusted with the screen's changing aspect ratio; but I'm not absolutely sure about that one.

Anyway, very classy and old fashioned. Made me so nostalgic.

Best,
Sanjay

#43122 - 11/25/02 06:58 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

C'mon Soundhound,

"I'm sorry, but work _does_ have to take priority to play, and I do use my webspace to transfer file to other editors who I work with, files that are too big to Email."

Hey, YOU'RE the one who started this thread asking people to put up pics of their HT's, then you yourself don't do it!?!, instead leaving only that ugly logo pic up which is a very LARGE file.

You could easily store several HT pics in that 'same amount of space'. THAT'S why I was wondering what that logo had to do w/ this 'HT pics' thread YOU started.

Why don't you quit making excuses about you not having enough webspace and put the pics in the space that logo takes up OR on a FREE site like AVSforum like I mentioned I did (or lots of other options)?

"You're obviously too young to know the significance of the "Voice of the Theatre" logo."

Sure.

"It is from movie theatre sound equipment used in cinemas from the early days of sound motion pictures. I wouldn't diss something so quickly just because you don't happen to know the significance of it!"

I'm still waiting to hear how it's significant. Anyway... I 'dissed' it 'cuz the logo's very ugly and isn't an HT pic.

Here you guys have been talking about when theaters used to be REAL theaters... Beautiful, ornate movie palaces (something I'm old enough to remember, and still know of a few that remain today).... instead of the classless multiplexes that we typically find today.

I just don't see that ugly logo fitting into the look of these 'classic' movie theaters we all wish were more prevalent today. I can't imagine an ugly sign like that would be displayed in any respectable 'movie palace'.

I guess my dislike of this logo broke your heart and so you needed to insult my age (despite you not knowing it?) and my lack of knowledge of ugly movie audio signs?

Oh well. Nice HT pic thread. Worked out great.

#43123 - 11/25/02 07:05 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by azryan:

I guess my dislike of this logo broke your heart and so you needed to insult my age (despite you not knowing it?) and my lack of knowledge of ugly movie audio signs?

I really don't care if you like it or not!! It just has significance to those who are interested in the sound equipment that was used in the old cinemas, admittedly a niche interest that you don't share. I supplied in response to a query from another person in the forum who recognized it, and wanted one. Get over it.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 25, 2002).]

#43124 - 11/25/02 08:00 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Well FWIW I think it's a cool chunk of history.

#43125 - 11/25/02 08:10 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Azryan,

Shame on you. You know how I feel about this stuff. I leave the forum for a few days to tend to my ‘Nightingale’ duties and come back to the forum for a little rest and relaxation and what do I find, more blood and gore all over the floor.
throwing arm around your shoulder and walking you gently away from the site of the accident
Step into my office, the Doctor is now in.

“Puke-ish, an ugly sign, (not to be displayed in) any respectable”

Try……Never did enjoy their choice of colors in that logo.
………..I was amazed at its popularity, I did not find the artwork pleasing
………..I wonder if that would clash with a movie palaces décor, I suppose it might work in the Lobby….

I’m afraid if I were Soundhound, even if I had been so inclined to repaste my link when I had the time and space. If I were him I might just have to let you ‘wonder’ what it looked like after ummm…..that discussion.

And that’s a crying shame. They were pics to drool over……..

#43126 - 11/25/02 08:22 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Is that color _really_ what puke looks like???? I'll pay more attention the next I'm "driving the porcelin bus"

The color is supposed to be _gold_! I guess the color got lost somewhere in cyberspace.......

#43127 - 11/25/02 09:06 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Now that's just gross!

Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts