Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 13 >
Topic Options
#43098 - 11/13/02 02:14 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Great Room Sound,My system is similar to yours,you see I have the JBL Studio Monitors 4430,(two way in Bi-amp mode)for center channel I am using the 4425,and for the surrounds I am using the same 8330's. The 1050 is being used as a pre-amp,with Carver Audio Amps,Adcom amps,and for sub,I am using the SVS 20-31 C PLUS.Also I am installing my first 110"screen at this time,will post some pictures as soon as my room is completelly done.( I am getting 119 db's at 11ft )

#43099 - 11/13/02 04:24 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Eurorom:

Yep, I bet those JBLs sound great !! They can take anything that any movie can dish out. Well, I should say _almost_ anything - I blew up a friend's JBL subwoofer yesterday - oops!!

If you were to look behind the screen at a movie dubbing studio, you'd see JBL speakers, same for most cinemas.

Please do post some pictures when you get them. What projector are you using?

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 13, 2002).]

#43100 - 11/13/02 04:32 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Davis S:
.... Live in Chino Hills/work downtown.....

Davis:

That has got to be the 'mother of all commutes', even by L.A. standards! My wife has a long commute also, and puts almost 60 miles on her car going to and from work every day. Do you take the 60 or the 91 'freeway' downtown?

People who don't live here must gasp in horror over how spread out we are - of course the earthquakes kinda re-arrange things occasionally. The right one could shorten the distance you drive

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 13, 2002).]

#43101 - 11/13/02 09:17 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
Commuter Rail (Metrolink) every day (or I would have sold/moved several years ago:> Its the 60 or the 10 when I do drive in. Peace and quiet + tons of open space are REALLY important to me (grew up in Iowa), and Chino Hills is alot like Iowa.

#43102 - 11/15/02 12:05 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Earthlink records a "page not found" now when trying to access the home theater pictures.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#43103 - 11/15/02 12:26 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Earthlink records a "page not found" now when trying to access the home theater pictures.

I needed the web space for another file.....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 15, 2002).]

#43104 - 11/15/02 09:35 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Charlie:

Very cleaver arrangement! It appears that you would get a very smooth and enveloping sound with your setup. I would imagine you get some bonus sub activity from the walls acting like secondary 'diaphrams"

Thanks!

I plan to do some more tweaking, but yes, other than the obvious early reflections (which I plan to tame with wall treatments) it does sound pretty 'seamless' from most reasonable viewing positions. I thought about setting up a 'stereo only' system for music, but with the new modes and DVD-A/SACD I'm reconsidering. Once I get good measurements I'll post'em.

One downside - the room behind the living room is my office and so I cannot have a CRT near that wall...

#43105 - 11/16/02 08:41 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
"One downside - the room behind the living room is my office and so I cannot have a CRT near that wall..."

You didn't find that out the hard way did you charlie? I'd almost be surprised if you could have a monitor in next room with all the subs you have in that wall. I think that little inconvenience would be well worth it for the setup that you have though.

#43106 - 11/16/02 07:37 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Yes, they do. Behind the curtains are thick packing blankets. There are also curtains along the left wall. The curtains themselves are also very thick. To balance this on the right wall, there is a blanket hanging, which you can see part of - that has 1/2" foam attached to it's back. .... I went to a lot of trouble during the design phase to get the acoustics right.

SH:

I also tried to get an irregular shape in the HT area as much as other constraints allowed, but I'm pretty new to acoustic treatments and I feel I could really use more knowledge in that area. Any good resources on the web (or elsewhere) you can recommend? Other words of wisdom? I was looking at building some fabric covered (for appearence) traps with 2.5" acoustic foam, but I'm still investigating.

#43107 - 11/16/02 08:44 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
....Any good resources on the web (or elsewhere) you can recommend? Other words of wisdom?....

F. Alton Everest has a book called "Acoustics" ( I think that's the title) that is the bible in this area. It can be had thru Mix Magazine bookshelf bookstore on the web. I don't know the URL but I'm sure a search will find it. It will give you much more knowledge than you ever wanted on the subject

Generally, keep the room irregular. Clap your hands as you walk around the room, and if you hear any slap echoes, put something on one or both of the walls in that area until the slap is gone. You don't want a completely dead room, nor a really live one. A reverb period of about 1 second or less is good. Put the most acoustic treatment near the front speakers on the walls and floors to alleviate reflections. Near the surrounds, you might want to keep it somewhat live, to enhance the sense of envelopment from those speakers. By looking at your setup, I think you are well on your way to the ideal acoustic surroundings. It looks like your room might be on the live side, which is good. If that is the case, you can put hangings on the wall and throw carpets in strategic locations to tame the room to your liking.

Have fun!

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM