Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13
Topic Options
#43198 - 12/03/02 04:50 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
The monkey driven models do have a tendencey to hiss and sometimes howl so be prepared for that!

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#43199 - 12/03/02 06:08 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I'll be sure and interconnect the little guy through the 950. Which sounds so good it will just 'drown it' out.
Of course making sure that the model I purchase is not the Monkeybones brand.

#43200 - 12/03/02 06:37 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
But when you have a DPL based, single-chip projector with a color wheel, it is relatively easy to adapt the color wheel to ALSO slice the bananas, there-by pacifying the monkeys!

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF, says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#43201 - 12/03/02 07:10 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Desperado

Would this attract Nats.... Clouds of these can give that 'screen door' pixelated effect.

#43202 - 12/03/02 08:13 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
If you get the upgraded "jumanji" model though, surround sound gets a whole new meaning!

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#43203 - 12/05/02 05:26 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

"I have to buy something now....DPL,LCD, monkey holding up pictures in a 16.9 box shining colored flashlights through... either RP or Direct (not a FP). Decisions decisions...."

Wha-? Lena... I thought you had the Sony GrandWega?? I thought I accidentally offended you when I said (in my oh so delicate manner) that I didn't much care for it.

Were you just defending Sony or what?

Anyway... if you're (or anyone's) looking into what's out now in rear projection... there's a new Toshiba that's LCoS and 1280x1920, so it'll upconvert 1080i to 1080p. gotta read up more on it, but there's a huge thread on AVSforum's rear projection section.

Not sure on the size of it but it's costly. Probably $8K+ in stores. Hopefully it works and looks great though. Then LCoS will finally take off and prices will plummet in time for my next set!

Hard to beat $3K for a 65" 1080i CRT though. Or ~$2K for a 50".

#43204 - 12/05/02 07:34 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Desperado

Wha-? Lena... I thought you had the Sony GrandWega?? I thought I accidentally offended you when I said (in my oh so delicate manner) that I didn't much care for it.

I just love it when you sweet talk me Azryan. Yes Virginia there IS a GW in my Living Rm.
And I just post the opposite personal opinion I have on the topic (of GW) that it’s a great view with better angle than a lot of models currently offered. Since some people HAVE that opinion (or they would not buy them I hope) In other words I beg to disagree (and recommend).
My husband seemed to have radar built in for spotting BIG TV’s when the huge RP came out years ago, and though he often sighed over the sheer size. He and I were in tandem regarding our musings over how people could spend that much money for such a tiny sweetspot. (I’m talking early models) We just sat tight on our little CRT but both fell for the SGW, when shopping for a plasma.
And Azryan, IF you have seen the Gwegas Like I’ve seen the Gwegas on all showroom floors (bar one, - who had theirs properly calibrated and on a decent feed), - I wouldn’t like them either.

Anyways no matter. We EACH choose what pleases us. We love it and it’s the star attraction for visitors and that’s what brings me to my current predicament.
My Mother in Law saw it. The same Mother in Law who has ALWAYS purchased Sony her entire life.
She sat in my Living room and said “That’s the best TV I’ve ever seen, I’ve never seen a TV look like that, I could watch a TV like that forever”. Then proceeded on to a near heart attack when she found out it was a SONY to boot.

My husband had been vocalizing to me for the last few yrs that JUST ONCE he would like to get his parents (who had everything better than we could ever afford before their stocks crashed) something really nice that would not bomb with them. (They can be unpredictable, something 99.9 of people would love they will flip to the other percentile, they can be very tricky).
I knew my husband had felt a need to do this for a long time so I told him when she sat in my Living Rm and went ON and ON. I had never seen her do this, and so blatantly, - I thought we might finally have a candidate after years of trying to think of something. For the first time, we know something she truly desires but will not do for herself at this time. He brought it up to her and got a similar reaction. So here we go.

Here is where the great hilarity in family dealings comes in. This TV is for the Master, which SHE watches. He stays up late and watches everything in the Den. HE thinks a display dream machine is the latest Sony 40” Triniton CRT model. SHE loves my TV, and although she doesn’t understand it herself (part of what attracts her I have figured out is the 16.9 ratio)….its easier on her eyes for basketball which she loves.
My husband was originally thinking a nice 2Kish-purchase 16.9 ratio. and then we went to look at the 40” Triniton which my wonderful opinionated FIL raves about and my wonderful opinionated husband had a fit to the effect he was not spending "3K on a 4.3. refrigerator". Also I really deep down feel she “thinks” she is getting the GW and we should try for that. And although we had to feel them out, (a must for these two) after each sentence. "YOU are not going to get me a TV, I absolutly forbid it". Her next sentence will be….”Don’t listen to Daddy, I’D be the one watching this TV!”.

Unfortunately, since SLL (me) was so incredibly selfish as to go on her first buying spree in YEARS in AV. The heart of my husband is willing but the pocketbooks not sure how high we could stretch. We love them they DESERVE anything we could possibly think to do but ugh, - bad timing with my recent ummm what I did. But I also know my husband …he’s waffling on what to do, - there’s some chance we might end up with the 60”GW. (Or if I can find it the 40 or 50” LCD GW). But I was trying to research alternatives while busy to narrow WHAT exactly we are going to do, as I don’t know for sure which way this purchase will go. Therefore my renewed interest for the moment in the great display technology debate going on in the forum recently.
I’m stuck in the middle of all of them, but my part will most likely be the final narrower down to 3 choices at different price points for my husband to decide. Could be DLP (but Samsung would be a brand they would emotionally ‘look’ down on) But wouldn’t’ it be great fun to use them as DLP guinea pigs?
The Toshiba would definitely be ‘out of budget’. And I don’t like shopping displays on the web…dosent do me a bit of good. I just need to get out a lot….I have to SEE them in person and have not had enough time yet to really look hard and not just in passing.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited December 05, 2002).]

#43205 - 12/05/02 07:53 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Well, I can see I'm in the wrong family . Maybe you might give them your current set (under some sort of excuse-- like "We think it'll look better in your house!") which would force you to have to buy a new one for yourselves (updated version??). You might have to sell your son's car however...

#43206 - 12/05/02 09:20 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Desperado

You must read my husband’s mind, sometimes when he jokes …there is a grain of serious in it.

And he said this week, "You know the brand new model 60”GW is about 1K less than we paid and comes with DVI (which his parents will never use). Do you think we could…….NAW"

Then he laughed and said …"maybe we could throw in a lightbulb!"……

Would be a sweet setup…..but just too tacky for a Christmas present …putting a bow on our ‘used’ TV

#43207 - 12/07/02 11:50 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Soundhound: Looking at your posted pictures, I have to ask. Who are those naked women standing next to your speakers like spokesmodels?
merc\'s primary system

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM