Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#43188 - 12/02/02 08:11 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Though I'm down on TI for having personally seen several DLP sytstems w/ bad pixels, other than that I really think the chip as a grayscale image device works great! Don't want to sound like I think it sucks and worthless. The best HD DLP front projectors I've seen look GREAT.

I'm just scared of a pixel sticking. That's why I'm looking forward to a push from LCoS since it works just like the DLP chip but with no moving parts.

Like Charile noted if you're too close you can see pixel gaps and a dark center 'dot' within each DLP pixel, but in HD rez it shouldn't be a prob. at all. It easily should be better than the pixel gaps in LCD.
The slight defocusing would only need to be VERY slight to totally blend pixels in a HUGE screen like you've got Soundhound. While I only had a 6' screen the Plus was only 800X480 (something like that at least) in 16:9 so that should about equal HD in a screen like you've got.

I personally have a prob. with the rainbow issue in the color wheel -at least up to the 6x (I think?) in the Plus Piano, but that systems widely regarded as having 'no' rainbow prob so I guess my eyes are screwy?.

I certainly wouldn't trust a TI study of the issue or rainbow or stuck pixels though.

As Iggy I think noted the DLP chip itself it totally sealed in production. Those mirrors sealed under glass shouldn't be getting any dust into them right? Not sure what makes them 'stick' but I'm guessing it's a friction thing w/ the mirror hinge. Not 'breaking' per se, but just getting jammed and the static charge hitting the mirror ain't strong enough to unstick it. Just a guess though.

#43189 - 12/02/02 09:39 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

I misread the TI doc. What they actually said was crud getting in the mirror caused about 68% of the failures. They identified and implemented design changes to fix the vast majority of the other issues in the first year of production, including things like tiny springs on the mirror edges and smarter electronics to prevent hinge memory. The only significant remaining cause of failure was contamination by particles during fabrication and assembly. I mis-read that to mean fab at TI and assembly by the OEM, but after Iggy posted I reread the article and from the context it's clear that they are in fact speaking of crud inside the package. It's a very interesting read. Apparently the dirt comes from many sources, including various steps in the fab and machining process.

As AzRyan noted, the higher res and smaller the screen (basically the smaller each pixel was) the less the mirror artifacts were visible. Also it looked as if the lens (screen) on RP DLPs might be helping to soften the lines and squares. The projector I saw that was really poor IMO was a 800x600 Insight (IIRC) on a really big screen. This was one of my first looks at a DLP system and after that I was looking for the pixels.

#43190 - 12/02/02 09:50 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I think what I can't get past with color wheels is historical: One of the first mechanical television systems used a wheel and a 'flying spot' contraption. The color wheel strikes me as a 'contraption' in the pejorative sense. I think of that and my Wank-o-Meterª has fits

#43191 - 12/02/02 09:58 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
I.....including things like tiny springs on the mirror edges a.....

Geez Charlie, you've made my Wank-o-Meterª go stark raving mad!!!!!!

#43192 - 12/02/02 10:50 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Hound:

(Always a pleasure to speak with a fellow doggie!)

I guess you're right, to those of us who are old doggies the connection between the original CBS/Goldmark field sequential color system and the way in which color is created for the DLP projectors may be frightening, but I assure you, from one hound to another, that this is nothing like the old days. First of all, the wheels are smaller, so visions of the TV going wild and turning into a meat slicer are not needed.

Next, the speeds vary, since the frame rate is tied to the type of color wheel used. Remember, the DLP chip has to show the "color" frame that is synced to the color that is in front of it -- then that, in turn, has to be synced to the actual video frame rate. That's where you get the multiples from.

In SCR, or in the Philips Engaze system for single-chip LCoS, the image scrolls, rather than switches, but the idea is the same.

At first, color wheels for DLP sounded a bit looney, but they do work, and reliably so. I'd have more doubts about the rotating prisms in Engaze.

FOr those who want more info on color wheels as they are used in DLP and similar products, consult two of the prime manufacturers' web sites. That will dispell some of the opinions given here with (perish the thought!) first hand data. Look here:

http://www.optics.unaxis.com/images/PDF/unaxis_pd.pdf

or

www.ocli.com

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#43193 - 12/03/02 12:57 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Iggy:

I know, and thanks for the links. I agree that from a pure problem solving perspective the color wheel is a promising thing. The rational part of me likes it as a posible solution, but the other part of me wants to run away, screaming.

The 3 chip system looks so much better at first. I spent a lot of time looking around trying to get a hint when affordable 3 chip DLP might finally come out. Over time I've kind of decided I should get a grip and just wait until the technology matures before I 'decide' what I want to do.

#43194 - 12/03/02 11:42 AM Re: Home Theatre Pix
soundhound Offline
Desperado

The last time my patented Wank-o-Meter™ had reading like this was when I first heard of DIVX.

If I seriously consider DLP at all, it would be with 3 chips. That's enuf moving parts in there for me, thanx.

#43195 - 12/03/02 12:12 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

I'm probably a lot less demanding.

Basically I'm tired of being an early adopter and I'm just going to wait until some of this stuff is more sorted out. Once DLP/GLV/LCoS/Whatever becomes cheaper and proven with some time I'll consider it. For my purposes I won't have any HD content of interest until the HD-DVD stuff starts to roll so I'm not in any hurry right now. If I had to jump right now I'd probably do what AzRyan did and just go with mature technology, probably a Pioneer Elite RPTV.

#43196 - 12/03/02 01:44 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I'm just going to wait until some of this stuff is more sorted out

I have to buy something now....DPL,LCD, monkey holding up pictures in a 16.9 box shining colored flashlights through... either RP or Direct (not a FP).
Decisions decisions....

#43197 - 12/03/02 01:49 PM Re: Home Theatre Pix
charlie Offline
Desperado

Every review of the Pioneer Elite I've read has been positive and the ones I've watched personally were outstanding. The npn-Elites look good too.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM