Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43062 - 11/28/02 09:57 PM How to use existing speakers w/multichannel input
meurkel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering getting the 950. My question here deals ONLY with bass management for the MULTI CHANNEL INPUTS (I have a Sony 222ES SACD player which is my main source). I have been thinking how to use my existing speakers and want to get feedback for the solution I have arrived at.

I have four Polk LSi9s and the LSiC for the front, back, and center speakers. These go down cleanly to 50Hz. They also discard lower frequencies without getting upset so they're fine with full range inputs, which is how I want to use them. Therefore, I won't turn on the "Analog Bass Management" switch on the back of the 950 (which would otherwise cut them off at 80Hz).

I also have an old Velodyne F1200 12" powered sub. It doesn't have an unfiltered LFE input, so its crossover is always in the circuit. I can't connect it to the 950's sub out jack because:

1. I would then have 2 crossovers in the signal path, and, much more importantly,

2. I would have the double-bass problem as the 950 sends everything below 80Hz to the sub out.

What I want to do is use a splitter cable from the 950's Front Left/Right outputs and connect the Velodyne there in parallel with the multichannel amp (probably a 755). I'd set the sub's low-pass filter at about 50Hz so that it blends well with the Polks. I have the Sony SACD player's very basic bass management set to Front-Large, Subwoofer-None to make sure I'm getting the necessary signal at the 950's Front Left/Right outputs.

That's it--hope this was reasonably clear. Any comments would be appreciated!

PS The state of analog bass management is a sad one. I looked at the Rotel 1066 and it seems even worse than the 950?

#43063 - 12/01/02 12:38 PM Re: How to use existing speakers w/multichannel input
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by meurkel:
[B]Hi everyone,

What I want to do is use a splitter cable from the 950's Front Left/Right outputs and connect the Velodyne there in parallel with the multichannel amp (probably a 755). I'd set the sub's low-pass filter at about 50Hz so that it blends well with the Polks. I have the Sony SACD player's very basic bass management set to Front-Large, Subwoofer-None to make sure I'm getting the necessary signal at the 950's Front Left/Right outputs.

PS The state of analog bass management is a sad one. I looked at the Rotel 1066 and it seems even worse than the 950?

hi, meurkel and welcome to the saloon, where the house drink is a pitcher of margaritas. when dealing with bass 'management', you'll need it.

the short answer is 'yes', you're intended connection scheme will work....sort of.

i've never been a fan of y-jacking. i assume you'll use 2 of them (1 for each front channel output) and 1 more at your sub input. that's (to me) an awful lot of cabling to avoid redirected bass. also, you'll be filtering out over an octave of the lfe channel.

i personally have found this scheme to be just as lacking as using the 80hz high pass and redirecting the remainder of signal to the sub to be summed with the lfe. at least, you'll be losing only 80hz-120hz of the lfe instead of 50hz-120hz. (sony's players have a 120hz default low pass on the sub out)

there is a proper way to manage bass. unfortunately, it requires 2 subs and a single channel preamp at least. i'll be glad to detail it if you are interested.

the bottom line is to try both schemes and see which one you like best. if you connect according to the 950's analog bass management method, be aware of a possible phase reverse requirement that was brought up by kevin c brown some time back. just flip the switch on your sub and see if the bass improves or not.

again, welcome and...let us know what you decide and how it worked out!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts