#43 - 04/30/01 08:24 PM slight hum from sub
Kerr First Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

connected via coax, sub is a Cambridge Soundworks 12

#44 - 05/01/01 10:06 AM Re: slight hum from sub
flyntm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Plano, TX
I had the same problem. It only showed up when I routed the S-video signal through the 1050. I don't know why, that's just the way it worked. I ended up just running the S-video directly to the TV.

#45 - 05/02/01 11:21 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Elrond Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX USA
son of a $@!#. I've noticed the hum in the past and thought it was perhaps my cabling. I went out and got shielded gold ratshack cable instead of the dinky old cable i was using, but there was still a slight bit of hum. Just tried removing the svideo connector, and the hum was gone. This was the reason why I didn't jack up the sub volume, but instead have the receiver's sub trim at a higher level, although most of the HTF folks recommended doing it the other way around. Since I use the svideo switching function on the receiver, i guess i'll just have to leave it like this. Really annoying.

#46 - 05/03/01 02:46 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Mark_W Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Southeastern USA
I had "sub-hum" until this weekend - I re-wired my rack and seperated the AC cords from the interconnects (before they were all tied together). Hum is gone now.

Also, you mentioned that the hum disappears if you unplug the S-Video cable from the DVD player...perhaps the DVD player is putting out some noise?

#47 - 05/03/01 03:29 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Bruce Tiller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR USA
Is your cable TV connected to your system in some way?

My cable TV was connected to a Monster Power unit, and as soon as I disconnected the cable from the wall, my "hum" went away.

------------------
Bruce Tiller
WT-46807 Toshiba SD-6200
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
My DVD list
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list

#48 - 05/03/01 06:26 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Elrond Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX USA
Now that I've thought about it some more, i believe it is the cable tv signal causing the hum. The svideo cable just happens to be the connector between the tv and the receiver. Otherwise, the cable wouldn't come in contact with the receiver. I'll test this again when I get home.

#49 - 05/04/01 05:34 PM Re: slight hum from sub
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I too had a bit of a hum in my sub, but after installing a line conditioner and routing both the digital cable box power and RG6 through it, it became practically non-existent. I also think the picture cleared up just a hair, but that could just be my mind trying to justify spending the cash on the conditioner.

S.

#50 - 05/07/01 12:33 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Kerr First Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

flyntm, the S-Video did the trick for me. Kool.

I will copy this to sjackson (Scotty) to see if we aren't doing something incorrectly.

#51 - 05/07/01 04:31 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Scott Offline
Desperado

Often times hum is generated through ground incompatibilities between CATV and other components in your system. Here is an excerpt from our Model 750 Owner's Manual that may help:

To determine if a cable TV/Sat connection is responsible for the hum, first turn all components off. Disconnect the cable TV feed to your system at the first place it connects to your components. Alternatively, disconnect the cable TV wire where it is connected at the wall outlet. Turn your system back on, and listen if the hum has disappeared. If removing the cable TV feed has eliminated the hum, you will need to insert a Ground Loop Isolator.

#52 - 06/03/01 05:42 AM Re: slight hum from sub
Hamlet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

So what ground loop isolator do you recommend?

TIA

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
... If removing the cable TV feed has eliminated the hum, you will need to insert a Ground Loop Isolator.

#53 - 06/04/01 06:56 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Bruce Tiller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR USA
One high quality product is the Magic Box . I've seen a couple of good reviews on it and would be choice for the best possible picture quality.

I had the same problem and I was able to fix it with the Xantech 63400 Ground Breaker . And this option is much cheaper.

------------------
Bruce Tiller
WT-46807 Toshiba SD-6200
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
My DVD list
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list

#54 - 06/17/01 04:50 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Kevin Coleman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita Kansas U.S.A.
Hey guys,
Great forum! I just found it today. I just got my 1050 last Tuesday. I had a ground loop hum coming from my sub also. I did what it says at this link and my hum virtually went away. Now I have to put my ear actually in the port of my sub (Paradigm PS-1000) to be able to hear any hum at all.

http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/cablehum.html

Kevin C.

#55 - 06/18/01 12:40 PM Re: slight hum from sub
Kerr First Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I thought I had wasted the $60 bucks on my surge protector (THEATER GUARD PRO) but twice now it has saved me. It solved the hum issue and before it told me my outlets were wired incorrectly...

#56 - 08/28/01 02:04 PM Re: slight hum from sub
tomkarlo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Definitely a ground loop problem, I think it commonly happens when hooking up to TVs because they get plugged into another outlet or surge suppressor (often they were not installed at the same time.)

Saw this problem when connecting my Tivo (audio only) to my Outlaw 1050. Very confusing, since I even got the hum when selecting other sources.

My other thought is that the ground loop comes not from the power supply in all cases but sometimes is associated with the incoming cable signal. I have seen that in other (non-Outlaw) setups.

#57 - 09/06/01 10:29 PM Re: slight hum from sub
tomkarlo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Fixed my group loop problem - added a MonsterCable surge suppressor with the Cable surge in/out, it immediately cleared up. I'm pretty sure it's a ground loop between the cable signal and the power outlet. Once I had them all on the surge supressor, it probably put them to the same ground - 60 HZ ground loop immediately disappeared.

People only see it on their sub because generally they have their crossover set to 80 Hz or higher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts