Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#42853 - 10/08/02 01:42 PM Re: Clones
Scott Offline
Desperado

Will,

Quote:
Atlantic Tech and Sherbourn are known. Who are the other companies?

Unfortunately, that is something that I would have to leave up to the individual manufacturers to declare.

#42854 - 10/08/02 01:47 PM Re: Clones
randyb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kansas City, MO, USA
I would guess you may be right, but I also think he may just have got a bad price on the Sherbourn and wondered out loud-no ill intent meant. We will see when the promised revised article is posted.

The more I dig into this industry, the more I find that the dealers seem to be losing clout-manufacturers in the end want to move product or they will die.

[This message has been edited by randyb (edited October 09, 2002).]

#42855 - 10/08/02 02:01 PM Re: Clones
charlie Offline
Desperado

If the AT hits the street for $1100-$1200 it would be worth the difference for me to get the better looking unit. The green button is OK, but the whole 'black spray paint' finish is just plain cheap looking. Either of the AT finishes are worlds better looking to me.

If they are on the up and up regarding the parts subbing that would be gravy.

#42856 - 10/08/02 02:02 PM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Some people want a local dealer and immediate availability. Others want internet access.

Sort of like renting DVD's at blockbuster, or over the internet.

The relationship some of the Outlaw principals have with Sherbourn and/or AT may be they benfit if the 950 sells and they also benefit if the 950 clone sells. A win-win situation!

#42857 - 10/08/02 02:14 PM Re: Clones
randyb Offline
Gunslinger

Will,

"Some people want a local dealer and immediate availability."

I agree, but most people want the best of both, immediate availability and low price. The fact that shipping can be very fast can give you that option.

I think what you find is that more and more dealers are selling protected products on the sly over the internet. Sometimes the manufacturers will react and take the product away, but sometimes they are turning their heads the other way. I believe as the competition heats up, it will be hard for manufacturers to enforce their protected area policies-they will either start to sell direct (or though authorized online dealers) or they will start up another company to sell product direct.

In other words, I think it is going to be increasingly rough for the normal retail dealers (turn key installers are another animal).

#42858 - 10/08/02 02:30 PM Re: Clones
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Hello all,

Interesting....The 950 and AT units are the main two I have been considering. I can get cost on AT thru a relative, but even at that, it is not much less than the 950. I do like the look of the AT unit better, though.

My main concern now is the multi-channel amp to go with it. I'm worried about the sound of the matching AT amp. I wonder if the AT A-2000 amp is also a clone?? The AT and new Outlaw amp are being released at about the same time. It will be interesting to see the new 7100 specs to compare it to the AT unit. But I'll probably go with Outlaw's 770 for the increased power.

fly guy

#42859 - 10/08/02 04:21 PM Re: Clones
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
The article states:
These processors were co-developed by East Tech and Cirrus Logic for OEM purposes to sell to Audio Hardware Manufacturers with customized chassis, faceplates and logos to accompany them of course. Eastern Tech in an Asian OEM which manufacturers the design and specifications of these processors.

I was always under the impression that Outlaw was a key player in the design of this processor. During all the delays it was always Outlaw working with the engineers to solve them... to read this article you get the impression that Eastern Tech is the sole responsible party. What gives?

#42860 - 10/08/02 04:23 PM Re: Clones
randyb Offline
Gunslinger

I would think it could still be Outlaw working with the engineers at East Tech to design and develop a processor to their specs.

My understanding is that the article is being revised so we will have to see what the revisions say. I know that they are revising with the correct retail prices.

[This message has been edited by randyb (edited October 08, 2002).]

#42861 - 10/08/02 04:24 PM Re: Clones
CED Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It looks like the audioholics article has been updated:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php

And there's a note from Ron Fone on the last page...

------------------
- CED

#42862 - 10/08/02 04:28 PM Re: Clones
randyb Offline
Gunslinger

CED you are quick on the draw so to speak.

Here is East Tech's web site (I think) for anyone interested.
http://www.eastech1.com/english/index.htm

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts