Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#42913 - 10/15/02 04:37 PM Re: Clones
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Hmm, I just re-read Paul's message and saw that he only experienced one failure... for some reason I was thinking that his replacement drive failed also. I, personally, would not fault a company for the first product failure, especially if it was replaced promptly and if the replacement worked.

All true, and the replacement seems to have worked, but I agree with your first post - anything that increases the chance of a second failure in a case like this is PR suicide.

#42914 - 10/15/02 06:01 PM Re: Clones
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
There are many personal computer web sites that have information on this IBM drive problem.

For example:

http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3494/1/

A search on google will turn up LOTS.

My replacement drive is working fine, but I put it in a system is not critical. The system that had the drive that went bad got a new Maxtor drive.

I have not lost faith in all of IBM, just their IDE drives. SCSI drives, I believe, are built to a higher standard, thus the 5 year warranty, instead of 3 ... oops ... 1 years for IDE (recently, Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate have reduced the length of warranties from 3 years to 1 year. They SAY they are doing this in order to bring their warranty lenght in line with other PC component manufacturers. I KNOW they are doning this to increase profits, regardless of what their spinmeisters say.)

I have had one other drive, a SCSI model fail. This happened back in 1998 or 1999. It was replaced with a "refurbished" version of the same model and has been working fine ever since. As well as these two IBM drives, I have three more IBM drives; two SCSI and one IDE.

I do not have any ill will towards IBM's other products. In fact, in IBM computers, you will often find non-IBM drives. Their laptops have a good reliability reputation.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#42915 - 10/15/02 06:11 PM Re: Clones
charlie Offline
Desperado

The other side of the coin is, of course, the generally excellent performance generated by the IBM drives:

http://www.storagereview.com/

They are pretty much alone in always being either in the 1 or 2 slot for each test. Pretty consistent. If they are bad overall the market will weed them out.

#42916 - 11/09/02 04:48 AM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Are clones becoming plentiful in the stores these days, now that Outlaw doesn't have the wait line for the 950?

#42917 - 11/09/02 06:18 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA
Quote:
Originally posted by TurnerF:
Ok so I need some help from all the experts...
What does calibrating the boards mean? So much of this stuff is now digital I would think all calibrations would be software and fixed?
Are low leakage capacitors that expensive? are there degrees of leakage?

I am also curious to see if these would make an audible difference in the Sherbourn product. If so and it hits the street at around $900, they could be very attractive.

I've been trying to find all of the pre/pros that support DPLII. Most are very expensive, like the Anthem and new Fosgate (with the 5" LCD screen). The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I'd much rather pay $900 for the Outlaw or a similar product. Especially since pre/pros become obsolete so quickly.

Eventually, a pre/pro will be a bunch of DSPs with generic hardware for I/O. Heck, the hardware could be plug-in cards similar to how my digital mixers work in my home music studio . You could buy cards with the I/O options you need.

Sayer

#42918 - 11/09/02 08:49 PM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

Sherbourn product. If .. it hits the street at around $900

Where did you hear it would hit the street for the same price as the Outlaw?
Quote:

The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I heard it streets close to $1250, plus or minus. Lower than $1500, but still more than the 950.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 09, 2002).]

#42919 - 11/09/02 11:01 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Where did you hear it would hit the street for the same price as the Outlaw?

Here:

Quote:
Originally posted by randyb:
I just posted on there forum and 1,500 is correct. They are going to revise the article but they apparently are thinking a street price close to 900 which seems pretty low to me (maybe not for some Sony etc. but....)

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Originally posted by SayersWeb:
The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I heard it streets close to $1250, plus or minus. Lower than $1500, but still more than the 950.

$1250 isn't too bad. No internet sales though. Gotta find one local to price.

Thanks,

Sayer

PS - trying to get the quotes sorted out in this post was quite a challenge!

[This message has been edited by SayersWeb (edited November 09, 2002).]

#42920 - 11/11/02 03:33 PM Re: Clones
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Wow. That's an awful lot of synths you've got loaded into that thing. What do you use them all for?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#42921 - 11/11/02 04:22 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Wow. That's an awful lot of synths you've got loaded into that thing. What do you use them all for?

LOL! Was that in response to my studio?

I've often thought of adding a direct connection to my home theater, but one slip up with some feedback and my surround system would be toast!

I'll stick to CDR-Ws to test my mixes.

Sayer

#42922 - 11/11/02 07:39 PM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Between Sayer, Soundhound and others, there are quite a few posters with a sound sound engineer background in the saloon.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM