Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#42913 - 10/15/02 04:37 PM Re: Clones
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Hmm, I just re-read Paul's message and saw that he only experienced one failure... for some reason I was thinking that his replacement drive failed also. I, personally, would not fault a company for the first product failure, especially if it was replaced promptly and if the replacement worked.

All true, and the replacement seems to have worked, but I agree with your first post - anything that increases the chance of a second failure in a case like this is PR suicide.

#42914 - 10/15/02 06:01 PM Re: Clones
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
There are many personal computer web sites that have information on this IBM drive problem.

For example:

http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3494/1/

A search on google will turn up LOTS.

My replacement drive is working fine, but I put it in a system is not critical. The system that had the drive that went bad got a new Maxtor drive.

I have not lost faith in all of IBM, just their IDE drives. SCSI drives, I believe, are built to a higher standard, thus the 5 year warranty, instead of 3 ... oops ... 1 years for IDE (recently, Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate have reduced the length of warranties from 3 years to 1 year. They SAY they are doing this in order to bring their warranty lenght in line with other PC component manufacturers. I KNOW they are doning this to increase profits, regardless of what their spinmeisters say.)

I have had one other drive, a SCSI model fail. This happened back in 1998 or 1999. It was replaced with a "refurbished" version of the same model and has been working fine ever since. As well as these two IBM drives, I have three more IBM drives; two SCSI and one IDE.

I do not have any ill will towards IBM's other products. In fact, in IBM computers, you will often find non-IBM drives. Their laptops have a good reliability reputation.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#42915 - 10/15/02 06:11 PM Re: Clones
charlie Offline
Desperado

The other side of the coin is, of course, the generally excellent performance generated by the IBM drives:

http://www.storagereview.com/

They are pretty much alone in always being either in the 1 or 2 slot for each test. Pretty consistent. If they are bad overall the market will weed them out.

#42916 - 11/09/02 04:48 AM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Are clones becoming plentiful in the stores these days, now that Outlaw doesn't have the wait line for the 950?

#42917 - 11/09/02 06:18 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA
Quote:
Originally posted by TurnerF:
Ok so I need some help from all the experts...
What does calibrating the boards mean? So much of this stuff is now digital I would think all calibrations would be software and fixed?
Are low leakage capacitors that expensive? are there degrees of leakage?

I am also curious to see if these would make an audible difference in the Sherbourn product. If so and it hits the street at around $900, they could be very attractive.

I've been trying to find all of the pre/pros that support DPLII. Most are very expensive, like the Anthem and new Fosgate (with the 5" LCD screen). The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I'd much rather pay $900 for the Outlaw or a similar product. Especially since pre/pros become obsolete so quickly.

Eventually, a pre/pro will be a bunch of DSPs with generic hardware for I/O. Heck, the hardware could be plug-in cards similar to how my digital mixers work in my home music studio . You could buy cards with the I/O options you need.

Sayer

#42918 - 11/09/02 08:49 PM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

Sherbourn product. If .. it hits the street at around $900

Where did you hear it would hit the street for the same price as the Outlaw?
Quote:

The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I heard it streets close to $1250, plus or minus. Lower than $1500, but still more than the 950.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 09, 2002).]

#42919 - 11/09/02 11:01 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Where did you hear it would hit the street for the same price as the Outlaw?

Here:

Quote:
Originally posted by randyb:
I just posted on there forum and 1,500 is correct. They are going to revise the article but they apparently are thinking a street price close to 900 which seems pretty low to me (maybe not for some Sony etc. but....)

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Originally posted by SayersWeb:
The Rotel goes for about $1500.

I heard it streets close to $1250, plus or minus. Lower than $1500, but still more than the 950.

$1250 isn't too bad. No internet sales though. Gotta find one local to price.

Thanks,

Sayer

PS - trying to get the quotes sorted out in this post was quite a challenge!

[This message has been edited by SayersWeb (edited November 09, 2002).]

#42920 - 11/11/02 03:33 PM Re: Clones
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Wow. That's an awful lot of synths you've got loaded into that thing. What do you use them all for?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#42921 - 11/11/02 04:22 PM Re: Clones
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
Wow. That's an awful lot of synths you've got loaded into that thing. What do you use them all for?

LOL! Was that in response to my studio?

I've often thought of adding a direct connection to my home theater, but one slip up with some feedback and my surround system would be toast!

I'll stick to CDR-Ws to test my mixes.

Sayer

#42922 - 11/11/02 07:39 PM Re: Clones
Will Offline
Desperado

Between Sayer, Soundhound and others, there are quite a few posters with a sound sound engineer background in the saloon.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts