Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#42819 - 10/08/02 03:23 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
surroundophile Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, Il. USA
Davis S:
I don't understand why everybody is trashing the Pioneer DV-47a. I have read four magazine reviews on it, and only ONE trashed the SACD performance (another QC problem like it's rumored on the 950?).
I just bought the DV-47Ai, and it's fabulous.
The video and the DVD-A has it all over the JVC it replaces, and the SACD is MUCH better than CD, equivalent to DVD-A. Even CD is better than the top-of-the line Sony player from the late 80's it replaces.
I HIGHLY recomend it. I also hear it's lowerpriced brother (DV-45A, I think) is as good on the audio, with slightly lower video quality.

#42820 - 10/08/02 04:06 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
SOP- For whatever reason, everyone seems to be focussing on the (im) Perfect (Lack of) Vision review on the 47a rather than all the other reviews... I don't know why...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42821 - 10/08/02 05:01 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Kevin & SOP - you both made some enlightning comments, ala my earlier comments about a general minority of negative comments (although real) on the 950. I guess people generally focus their (I'm gulity as I read neg's on the Pioneer/and quickly dismissed it) thoughts on the bad stuff. When it comes time to buy, I will add the Pioneer to my list/and attempt to get one home for a listen.

#42822 - 10/09/02 10:26 AM Re: Harshness and Treble
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
WILL: since theta was mentioned somewhere in this thread, i'll use them as an example. theta's jitter jail technology solves jitter problems by storing the data and realigning it (reclocking). this is a very simplified explanation, but is the basic answer to your original question at the top of the thread.

what to do about harshness (also image, bass tightness, overall clarity) when playing cds.

i contend that it's the cd format moreso than the 950. you may want to try something like this as the cheapest remedy.
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/lcaudio/lc_audio_lclock_x02.htm

when the site opens click on LC Audio kits, then click on L Clock X02 jitter reduction.

reclock the source and i'm sure the 950 will perform it's end of the deal quite well. this unit looks to cost around $150 USD and up to around $215 with power supply option.

thought you might be interested.

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited October 09, 2002).]

#42823 - 10/09/02 04:25 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
loudpipes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Manasass, Va. USA
I did notice a bit of harshness when I first got my 950, it seemed a little lacking in bass smoothness, it seems much smoother now and the bass is more subtle, of course what do I know to many years in rock and roll bands and too many miles on a Harley. I must say the Moody Blues in DTS sounded so good I almost cried.

#42824 - 10/15/02 06:08 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Bossobass,
Quote:

theta's jitter jail technology solves jitter problems by storing the data and realigning it (reclocking)

Do you think the harshness of the 950 is due to a jitter problem? Is that why the Rotel pre/pro isn't as harsh as the 950? Or maybe does the Rotel just lower the treble a tad?

Will

#42825 - 10/15/02 08:25 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bossobass,
Do you think the harshness of the 950 is due to a jitter problem? Is that why the Rotel pre/pro isn't as harsh as the 950? Or maybe does the Rotel just lower the treble a tad?

Will

Will: what i've tried to say (apparently not very well...sorry), is that the harshness is there in ANY prepro when playing most stereo cds.

i believe the 950 is no more harsh than the rotel....just more revealing of the cd format and the terrible production process thereof. if the 950 were harsh, then sacd and dvd-a and dd and dts would also sound harsh. if anyone hears a good multichannel sacd through their 950 and hears it as harsh, then EQ probably would help, as i think it is a room environment issue.

i hear the harshness in playing a cd through my 950, but i also have heard someone speak ever so faintly in the background of one cd that i've listened to 1,000 times before on many other setups i had over the years, that i never heard before. i'd bet money you wouldn't hear that voice through the rotel.

on the other side of that, sacd multichannel discs i have, have zero harshness through the 950...at any volume.

and...no....i don't think 'lowering the treble a tad' fixes anything.

#42826 - 10/16/02 10:08 AM Re: Harshness and Treble
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
bossobass- good post-- I agree.

#42827 - 10/16/02 05:21 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Bosso:

Why do CD's have a jitter problem, but not SACD's?

#42828 - 10/16/02 08:46 PM Re: Harshness and Treble
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bosso:

Why do CD's have a jitter problem, but not SACD's?

will: that's not what i said. in answer to your question, 'what to do about harshness', i recommended lowering jitter in the case of a cd.

all digital formats can be improved by lowering jitter, which occurs as follows:
1.) transport jitter (player's clock)
2.) interface jitter (digital interconnect)
3.) processor's transport/interface jitter rejection
4.) how well the clock is recovered and handled inside the processor.

imo, the 950 is excellent as regards #3 & #4.
this would leave mods to the player and I2s interconnect. (some say no sense in player mod without interconnect mod also (i disagree).

as i understand this, since the sacd is converted in the player, the interconnect jitter problem is gone. (someone will correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure)

i am in line for this mod when it's available for my player:
http://www.warrengregoire.com/hifi-stereo-sony-sacd-mod.htm

or...you could buy a linn cd-12 for about $20k

the point i made about sacd vs cd is that the multichannel hi-res format is just a much better format and sounds better overall, and that translates through the 950. it can still be even better with the above mentioned mods.

here are some more interesting bits about improving digital disc sound:
1.) lighly sand (240 grit) outer and inner edges to remove the shine.
2.) blacken the sanded parts.
3.) apply auric illuminator (by audience, it comes with a blackening marker)
4. polish the cd with mikro-smooth
5. dampen the transport chassis

some say hooey, most say definitely better.

i guess my point is that it ain't the 950. the dsp chipset is truly world class. the dacs are excellent. feed it well and it will play accordingly. my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts