Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#42689 - 11/04/02 09:23 PM Re: Whats up with that?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
[B
as an aside...i been wonderin' something...if you take the 6 channel analog feed off your dvd-a or sacd player into your daw, it should be dead quiet, no?[/B]

Yes, it would be as quiet as the connection would allow. This would have to be analog, since no SACD player has digital outputs...yet

If I had a rack of outboard equipment (I actually do) feeding my ProTools, the noise performance would suffer. Plug-ins are the universal choice in DAWs. All digital - "perfect sound forever" I use mostly the reverb plug-ins. One of my most used outboard units is a vintage Collins vacuum tube limiter/compressor - I use it for vocals: in goes, well _you_ and out comes ELVIS! Marguaritas have a similar effect.....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 04, 2002).]

#42690 - 11/04/02 09:41 PM Re: Whats up with that?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
This would have to be analog, since no SACD player has digital outputs...yet
Not to nitpick but...OK, a small one. Poineer has a SACD/DVD-A player and dCS has a SACD transport, both of which output DSD data (in encrypted form, via Firewire). As you would expect, to decrypt the data, the Pioneer player needs to be hooked up to the company's matching receiver; likewise, the dCS transport needs to be mated with their Elgar D/A converter.

Best,
Sanjay

#42691 - 11/04/02 09:44 PM Re: Whats up with that?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
[QUOTE] Poineer has a SACD/DVD-A player and dCS has a SACD transport, both of which output DSD data (in encrypted form, via Firewire).

Yes, you are right. My workstation uses AES/EBU digital connections however.

#42692 - 11/04/02 10:12 PM Re: Whats up with that?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
Did you do that on purpose?

You have a wicked-quick multifarious mind. I like it. You don’t let me and my Thesaurus get away with anything.
Oh and Sanjay….you were right…. I don’t step over the dog, and I got over that ‘volume knob issue’ I pitched a tissy on.

#42693 - 11/04/02 10:31 PM Re: Whats up with that?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

http://home.earthlink.net/~soundhound/analog.jpg

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 04, 2002).]

#42694 - 11/04/02 10:35 PM Re: Whats up with that?
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
charlie,
Quote:
I have no first hand experience with subcontracting east asian manufacturing companies, but rumor is that parts subbing on the factory floor can be a real issue with some contractors.

Unfortunately I have years of experience, and you are correct even with ISO 9000 certified Asian manufacturers. In fact, to make sure the manufacturing line keeps running, anything can get substituted and sometimes without the proper QC follow-thru.

The silent killer is actually short-cuts in the design phase though.

#42695 - 11/04/02 11:00 PM Re: Whats up with that?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
How soon we forget... Hiss is good? Because it lets all of the original signal through?

I don't think so. Especially if the hiss is obstructing the original signal. Especially if the hiss wasn't part of the original signal in the 1st place, and is being added by the pre/pro.

I have had analog preamps before. Adcom & Nakamichi. Even with late 60's/early 70's lps from ANALOG TAPE RECORDINGS, they both were much quieter than the 950.

I personally don't care if there is high end gear out there that hisses. Unacceptable. If I had a piece like that, I'd return it. Especially if I paid a whole lot more than the 950 for it. The 950 hisses more than my Sony TA-E9000ES did. Not because the Sony gated its performance, not because there were mute circuits cycling in and out, and not because the Sony was adding anything that wasn't in the source. But that's what the 950 is doing. I personally can't believe that people are actually making excuses for the hiss in the 950 now, or trying to rationalize that the hiss is good in that it's letting the source through unimpeded...

Back to your normally scheduled programming...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42696 - 11/05/02 12:02 AM Re: Whats up with that?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
jetsetter - I guess you better watch what you say/as any attempt at being a voice of reason, or simply realizing that we are talking pre/pro here not something god for bid REALLY important, and people tend to jump on you. It happened to me/but not to sweat it/I've added an SACD player to the mix and all I can say is wow!

On another note/notice the original thread grows at the HTF. Now some Anthem owners are experiencing hiss/static loudly when set up is set to large mains and large surrounds (think this was it) in their CENTER channel. Yet no one/nary a complaint bought the unit - oh yea its that "port" that will allow the "fix" on my $3200 product! Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42697 - 11/05/02 12:31 AM Re: Whats up with that?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Geeze - I posted one post above after reading jetsetters post at top of this page. Reading each post is amazing (SLL and Bossobass excluded) and really solidifies my original topic/post.

How can the Anthem have its issues, me start a topic, and the 950 get the crap beaten out of it like my Oakland Raiders every goddamn week! I said this several months ago (and I think the Outlaws may have agreed to it) but some of you will NEVER be happy and would benfit by working it out with Outlaw. I don't buy this crap bought "the public needs to know", "you cant handle "My" truth" bs, its a freeking electronic component, not a cure for cancer or something.

Crap/unload it on ebay, buy the freeking Anthem or Rotel and spend your days upgrading the software. That way you wont fart all over this forum, and "WE", who actually like our prepro can discuss it.

There, "can you handle MY truth"!

#42698 - 11/05/02 12:37 AM Re: Whats up with that?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

"(and I think the Outlaws may have agreed to it)" and not by continuing to work on a fix that appears to bw wholly "system dependent", hence how they gonna ever totally "fix" it. Those continuing to wait for this "fix"/I dont know, but how else would some users hiss, some not, some never, some a litttle, some a lot, some reduce gain on Parasound Amp and "fix" it themselves, some cant do this, some...........

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts