Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#42535 - 10/20/02 03:05 AM Re: I'm hissing
bbpj Offline
Gunslinger

How about this perspective... Make a prepro that doesn't hiss and avoid bad press. It is your first prepro and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

If you stop production and delay delivery of your product... fix the problem before you start shipping again... Seems so simple doesn't it.

I'm sure a significant mumber of people are returning units just because of hiss. This is to say nothing of poor 2 channel sound. Even if units cost 1-2 hundred dollars more, they would sell just as many.

Bottom line... how much will people pay for a unit with better 2 channel sound and no hiss with all of these features. Personally, I would pay $1500 without blinking. Considering the rotel unit is $1500 and has no tuner and fewer features.

This is exactly what the folks at Bryston, Krell, Levison, Rotel ect... want. They don't want some internet hifi company to do well. All over the country at stereo stores salesman are raising their noses at Outlaw products and claiming they are inferior. Sad thing is Outlaw just gave them a reason to do so.

#42536 - 10/20/02 03:18 AM Re: I'm hissing
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
bbpj- I 100% agree. In fact, I was really leaning towards returning my 950, and getting the B&K Ref 50 (for low $2k's, I'd do it, but not for high $2k's for the Anthem), until I found out that the B&K (at least now) just has a global crossover. So Outlaw still edges out some of the competition for now at least in my mind.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42537 - 10/20/02 04:45 AM Re: I'm hissing
bbpj Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting [url=Linkhttp://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php][url=Linkhttp://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php][url=Linkhttp://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php]Linkhttp://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php[/url][/url][/url]

Anyone using one of these clones???

#42538 - 10/20/02 05:52 AM Re: I'm hissing
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

I am running Silver i's too. I am using a Bryston 9B-ST to power them. I have hiss from 10'-12', which is worse than you. It is loudest from my C6i center.

As far as clipping, I have only clipped my amp during depth charges on U-571 at cranking levels. I also believe the PSB's 4 ohm impedance is a huge factor, since the speakers are quite efficient.

You probably heard the PSB speaker distort because it couldn't handle that much power, rather than hearing the Bryston amp clip. Usually an amplifier when it clips makes a different sound at the speaker, than the sound a speaker makes when it distorts because it's getting more power from the amp than it can handle...

#42539 - 10/20/02 05:55 AM Re: I'm hissing
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bbpj:
Interesting Link http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php

Anyone using one of these clones???

See http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000583.html

#42540 - 10/20/02 10:11 AM Re: I'm hissing
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
bbpj:
You might consider the solution I used to get the best of movies and CDs, since my 950 hisses also. Break out that old preamp and put it in line with your left and right front channels. Plug the left and right outputs of the 950 into an aux input of the preamp and your CD player into another input. Then plug the output of this preamp into your power amps for the front left and right channels. Now, you can switch between the 950 for movies and your CD player for playing CDs. Just make a mark on the volume control of the preamp where the volume knob is,so you can return easily to the 'calibrated' level when playing movies. This system works extremely well for me, and sounds better than running my CD player through my 950, and the hiss is gone.
Here is how I have set up my system, for now. http://www.kgjack.com/interconnects.jpg
Complicated, but satisfying, and no hiss at all.

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#42541 - 10/20/02 12:41 PM Re: I'm hissing
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:

Wow! I hope you're not going to test me on the layout of your system! Quite impressive.

It appears you have the Sony TA-P9000 preamp in a similar arrangement to me. I kept my Sony EP9ES 5.0 DD preamp and have a relay switcher where I can select the output of the 950 or the Sony to go to my power amps and speakers. I then loop my mixing console through the relay-operated-no-bass-management 5.0 bypass inputs of the Sony. The Sony has a Smart CircleSurround EX adapter on it's surround outputs, and I have the option of using the 950 to decode Dolby EX or the Sony. They decode it slightly differently, with the Sony getting the nod most of the time. The Sony also has a couple "theatre" settings that simulate the sound of a big movie palace pretty well. I use this setting sometimes for listening to old black and white movies from the 40s and 50s.

#42542 - 10/20/02 12:46 PM Re: I'm hissing
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

In any of your previous setups with the 950, did you ever hear a hiss more than a few inches away from your speakers?

Will

#42543 - 10/20/02 12:52 PM Re: I'm hissing
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

The Rotel 1066 pre/pro is the obvious competitor

In the earlier comparisons of the two:

Forgot to mention that as I understand it, the Rotel decodes HDCD, the Outlaw cannot.

#42544 - 10/20/02 03:50 PM Re: I'm hissing
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Good Post Bossobass, Ego me bene habeo .
I’ve said the same several times in variation. I had noticed how guys with 5K+ prepro’s really get rather touchy on the forums when another ‘guy’ (who would never ‘chose’ or choose to ‘budget’ that much for this area of his life) attacks it for not having X or Y feature or spec at its price. Magno cum periculo custoditur, quod multis placet. These points usually take the form of declaring over and over when you pay that much (and more) it should really perform better and/or have this ONE feature (that the majority of cheaper/older units have included for years).

I don’t think there is an electronic product out there without tradeoffs at any price.
For my tastes the tradeoffs with the 950 are EXTREMELY palatable at its price. And In virtute sunt multi ascensus

I’m sorry for those who have had hiss issues, that have not effected me. Well I worded that incorrectly. I have and DO have hiss. But an entirely different subject (yet in like manner, where something pleasing comes from a problematic source) while distortion is often a dirty word, - there are all kind of applications sold to induce a pleasing or effects geared amounts of distortion in electronic instruments (guitars etc).

For me, in real time usage there is no ‘bite’ to the 950’s non-venomous hiss, when hiss or no, it continues to ‘sound’ better than counterparts. To borrow a phrase, “For that which acts is always superior to that which is affected.” Surely Outlaw could have continued on to improve this or that … but Imponit finem sapiens et rebus honestis

I’m happy to have chosen Outlaw, I prefer traveling towards high-end sound ope exceptionis to the theory that increasing price equates to an equal rise in quality output. (I’ve found in my own purchases this theory to be PR driven with startling frequency). I feel what Outlaw is producing will definitely tend to force other manufactures to offer more for the dollar particularly if the market softens. The sound reverberating around my house is of very high quality, I hope Outlaw continues growth eventually having the firepower of an immense customer base enabling them to launch an ever-broader product range. "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt"

It’s the weekend, this is my version of an interactive post. See if you can place the translations in their proper spots…your choices are:
The wise man puts a limit on even honorable undertakings
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults
With me all is well
Lock and Key will scarce keep that secure, which pleases everybody
by way of exception
There are many degrees in excellence

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts